“"Welcome home"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Brownsburg, Indiana
“"Welcome home"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 times last year. Each time I was greeted at the airport and taken to the hotel. The staff has been so friendly and always welcomes me "home." Every trip I make to Guatemala, I shall spend at least my first night and my last night here. Very helpful anytime I needed information or help with anything. The breakfast we are served each morning is a personal experience. On one occasion my husband and myself had problems with the timing we were each going to arrive. We were unable to connect with each other but thanks to the hotel personnel all was taken care of and I was met at the airport by the staff with a welcoming smile and a message that my husband was delayed. I have always felt comfortable and safe every time I was there. I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone traveling to this city for the first time or the 100th time. Also if you get a chance to visit the lounge when Roberto Rey is entertaining, please tell him "hello" from his fans in Indiana and that he sings New York for each time we visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bayville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I arrived on Friday, Oct 25 for the Justin Bieber concert the next day. I was treating a family from El Salvador to the concert so I had 2 reservations...one double room for me and my sister and one junior suite for the family of four. The rooms were very nice, the staff was extremely helpful during my stay. Right before the concert I learned that I needed to return home the very next day. I informed the hotel that I will be checking out the next day, Sunday morning at 5 am instead of Monday.. They arranged to put us on the free 5 am airport shuttle, a boxed breakfast and a 4:15 wake-up call. There was no cancellation fee. Both of my hotel rooms were charged to my credit card. When I checked out the clerk said that the other room would remain open until my friends checked out Monday morning. No problem. So I thought. I received a frantic call from my friend at 3:15 in the morning (2 hr difference) on Monday. The hotel was detaining him until he paid for his room. OMG. Because of the concert all buses were full on Sunday so they had to take a 1:30 am bus back to El Salvador on Monday. He needed to get to work and his kids needed to get to school. He put his wife and kids in a cab to catch the bus at 1:15 and was being told that he could not leave the hotel until he paid for his room. I NEVER VENTURED OUTSIDE THE HOTEL BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO GET MUGGED OR KIDNAPPED AND NOW MY FRIEND IS PUTTING HIS FAMILY IN A CAB AT 1:15 IN THE MORNING TO GO TO THE BUS DEPOT WITHOUT HIM. OMG. My friend was beyond frantic. I called the hotel immediately and the clerk kept saying that he has two credit card numbers on my room number and two different names. My name and a Brenda Quinones. I told him that I am not Brenda Quinones. I explained my room # and the adjoining room # of my friends but all he kept saying was Brenda Quinones in the floor above. Then he realized his error. He said to me that he was just doing his job ! He put my friends through hell, he separated a family, he treated them like thieves. The kids thought their father was going to jail. The wife did not know what was happening. They did not know where their father was. All the good times we had that weekend was all ruined because of the inconsiderate, careless, clerk who was just doing his job ! No one should be treated like that. I am sure this hotel has been in business a long time and it is absolutely unacceptable the way they detained and treated my friend and his family. What a nightmare. There is nothing positive I can say about this hotel now.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice while on a mission trip with a christian foundation. The rooms were comfortable and I never had any problems with the staff. They delivered the luggage to my room within minutes of me going to my room. The front desk personnel were very helpful. They changed my dollars for me and gave me a good rate. There were three computers to use for checking email. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with plenty of variety and more than enough food to get you going for the day. I really enjoyed the colonial atmosphere. Both times that I stayed there it was one day after Christmas and the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays.

The only negative thing was the several shoeshine boys that hang out in front of the hotel in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Trip organizers scheduled this hotel for us. We felt safe here, and the neighborhood, while not close to sights, was not unpleasant to walk around. There aren't many restaurants nearby. We had the breakfast buffet, and it was more than adequate. The hotel food--other than the buffet breakfast--was a little overpriced, but it wasn't bad.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet after about 10 at night. I would ask for a room that's not located directly o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Moreno Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Hotel is okay, we just didnt like the reason that every time we weren't looking bell boy kept moving our luggage cart around. by this happening my wife lost a purse with over 7-900 dollars worth of make-up. the bell boy insisted on us going to our room and he will deliver our luggage to the room without supervision. he said he had to re organized our luggage so it would fit in the elevator, and when he was done, it made no sense what he did. i guess he just didn't want us around so he could go through our stuff. the way i had organized the luggage in the cart was perfect and didn't interfered with fitting in the elevator. i just didn't like the fact that he kept telling us to go, and he will take everything up himself. without us being able to supervise what he was doing. we contacted them and they said they where going to check cameras and stuff. it's been a few days now and still haven't heard from them.
if you stay here, keep and eye on your luggage and everything they do. it is my country and it sucks that they do this to people just because they are not from there. i also paid ten bucks to make a phone call, and they said they would return the difference the next morning. the front desk never mentioned anything about the phone call. they are so eager to keep as much money as they can. i know the hotel is not keeping the money, it's the staff trying to keep everything they can. writing this from the vibe i got.
TREAT your PEOPLE BETTER!!!!!! doesn't matter if we are not residing in Guatemala anymore!!!!! i guess it's our fault for being careless and thinking we are in good hands! some good sticky hands!!!! we will never stay there again. my parents have stayed there for the last 4 years. every time they have visited guatemala. i guess it's the last time they see us there.

Room Tip: keep an eye on your luggage.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
conquistadoruno, General Manager at Conquistador Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Mr. Francisco R.
We feel sorry for the inconvenience you had at the Hotel in your visit last year. I inform you that the luggage you lost a at the Hotel was forgotten for your wife in the bathroom by the lobby, as it was recorded on our video security system.
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

A very helpful and friendly stuff welcomes you at the reception. the hotel is a bit old but kept in good condition. its clean and the beds are comfortable, very comfortable. the breakfast is OK, nothing special, but still good enough for a nice start in the day. The restaurant in the evening was good, again , nothing special. I had problems with the internet first, but the excellent stuff helped me until everything worked and the problem was solved! Thank you for that! I can recommend this hotel without a doubt!

• Stayed November 2010
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Stay here if you like to be close to night scene or dont plan on getting any rest. There are 2 or 3 nightclubs in the hotel, in addition to more nightclubs around the area. On a weekend night, you will not sleep, until the music stops around 3am. We were on the 6th floor and it was LOUD. The front desk clerk would not let my niece go up to the room, unless she paid for one nights stay. Didnt listen to reason, as she was going to be there for an hour max. It would of been ok if it was hotel policy, but the clerk himself was rude and patronizing. I had stayed here once before on a previous trip, always for the night before my trip home, and didnt have much complaints last time, but now it must be under new ownership and I will not stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
hotelconquistador, General Manager at Conquistador Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Dear guest.
We feel sorry for the inconvenience of the loud music the night you stood whit us and we apologize for that. Now we have a sound prof windows to avoid this inconvenient.
It is a policy of the Hotel does not let people not register in the Hotel to be in the guest rooms because of security reasons.
We hope to serve you in the future again.
Mauricio Estrada

Been to Conquistador Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!