“Nice hotel , good service” 4 of 5 stars

Barcelo Guatemala City
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Avenida 15-45, Guatemala City 01009, Guatemala   |
Ranked #2 of 47 hotels in Guatemala City
Hong Kong
“Nice hotel , good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel in Guatemala City on my way back from lake Atitlan . This hotel is very close to the airport ( less than 10 mins) . I got upgraded to a suite on the top floor. It was a split level room with bedroom on the top level and sitting room at the lower level. But honestly I do not care for the steps going up and down inside the room.

Flat screen TVs and shower and toilets in both levels. Complete amenities like tooth brush, mouth wash , shampoo etc. . There are also bathrobes and slippers in closet. King size bed with numerous pillows and are extremely comfortable. Wifi didn't work properly in the beginning but they sent a technician to fix it right away.

As it was raining all late afternoon, so I did not bother to go out but ordered room service for both snacks and dinner. Their pasta was good and the sushi was ok. I can see that the hotel is very eager to provide good service because I received numerous phone calls asking me if room service and wifi was ok.

I need to go to the airport early morning and they have hourly airport shuttle from 5 am. Although they said that breakfast started at 5 am but 6 am there was still no hot food .

It is not a luxurious hotel but I am very happy with my overnight stay before my flight to Los Angeles. I think the price is great as it includes free wifi and breakfast. This is the 3 rd hotel I stayed in Guatemala City and if I ever go back there again, I would not mind to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having spent a couple of weeks living in some fairly basic accommodations it was great to arrive in the luxury of the Barcelo. Super value for £70 a night and very nicely located for the bars, restaurants and nightlife of zona viva. Excellent gym and pool facilities plus a few squash courts, which was great. I got excellent service from concierge and also enjoyed the sports bar and a few games of pool. massive comfortable hotel. i would definitely go back. 10mins or less from the airport.

Room Tip: I had 416. Very good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, the swimming pool is yummy, it has a jacuzzi at the swimming pool and also a private one inside at the lady´s locker, it has a gym with Yoga and dance lessons, a steam room. The service was fantastic!! I had the worst nightmare, my purse got lost at the taxi cab arriving from the airport and the service at the hotel helped me to locate it, and 5 minutes later the cab driver returned it to me with nothing missing! thanks to the prompt service at the hotel, specially Rolando the bag guy. If you ever need a taxi cab at the hotel ask for Jose Esquivel, he took me to Antigua and treated me as if I was in a tourist guide gropu he knows everything and is so very helpful and nice!! I had really an awsome time in Guatemala at the Barcelo. The Hard Rock Cafe is 100 mtrs from the hotel ;)

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies and plenty of toiletries.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Ventura
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed in this hotel before, during and after our tour of Central America. Great rooms, great breakfasts each morning, gorgeous decor, and loved the shops on site. Very safe hotel with guards outside always. Very close to airport! Only bad point is the cost of the Wi-fi! Good news is that McDonald's next door is free, but not as convenient as using Wi-fi in your own room!

Room Tip: We were in 3 different rooms on 3 different floors, and none was any better than the other. They al...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Dear Sirs,

I am your guest every month (for two nights) without exception. your hotel and your services are excellent. But I have 3 issues in your hotel for which I need you to please pay attention :

1. Last two years I have always come once a month from Los Angeles and arrive in your hotel Thursdays early morning (Delta flight # 457). Although your roll for check-in is standard, but I have no choice to check in early morning. I usually call two days ahead of my arrival and request for early check in but most of the time they don't have room available for early check in. I stay for couple hours until a room is available for me.

2. I reserve my room(s) with breakfast included. Unfortunately they do not allow me to use my free breakfast for the first day, although I tel them that I am going to leave hotel on Saturday very early morning at 5:00 or 6:00 AM (my flight to Los Angeles is very early morning) and I do not take my breakfast at that time.

3. As I mentioned above, I am your permanent guest for last tow years, but I never received any promotion or special discount on the rates to use.

Thank you for your attention.

Mohammad Mokhtare
mokhtare1@gmail.com

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at the Barceló for business while I was attending a conference at the nearby Camino Real. The hotel is very clean, very pretty, and very secure. The staff are very professional, courteous, and always greeted me enthusiastically and courteously in person and on the phone. The rooms are perhaps a little bit dated (especially the bathroom), but not in a tired way, and they are pristinely clean. Room service was fast and very well-priced, and the TV had a great selection, and internet was fast (and included in my price!). I didn't make use of the ammenities, but they also seemed quite nice.

My one complaint about the hotel would be location. The area surrounding the hotel is by no means, bad, but is less exciting and has fewer options than the nearby Zona Viva. Granted that neighborhood is essentially a two block walk away (including across a 10-lane boulevard that is poorly lit at night), so this isn't the end of the world. But given the city's crime, it's necessary to take a ($5) cab ride back at night. Therefore, staying in the Zona Viva might be more convenient. But this really is a great hotel - especially for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Elegant hotel in the bustling commercial district. It is all that you would expect from a five-star hotel. Upon entering the hotel you see a large vase of beautiful flowers in a very spacious lobby. The check-in staff spoke English and were very courteous and patient. The pool is sparkling clean, as is the jacuzzi. There are locker rooms where you can put on your bathing suit. The exercise room can help you work off the delicious buffet breakfast that you ate at the hotel. The buffet has a lot of familiar things to eat, including sausage, but you can also have some local favorites, such as
melon and papaya juice and plantains. If you want fast food, you can go to McDonalds next door or cross the street and go to Pizza Hut or KFC. I'm sure there must be more in the area, but the traffic was just too scary for me. They drive like maniacs and there is no crossing light. The room has a very firm bed and the TV is mounted on the wall. You can get American TV as well as the local channels. There are a lot of large, fluffy pillows. The towels in the bathroom are as big as I am.

The only cons to this place was the airplane noise and the crazy traffic and my feeling of a lack of safety when crossing the street.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Barcelo Guatemala City? Share your experiences!