“This hotel is ok depending on which room you have.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Visit to the city
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
atlanta, ga
“This hotel is ok depending on which room you have.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here on two different occasions on a recent trip to Guatemala City. The first stay we had a room on the 5th floor. The room was not near the elevator and was a much nicer room than the room we stayed in on our last day in Guatemala. Also, the first room had a little more space in it than the second room. During the second stay our room was right next to the elevator which was bad. We were on a lower floor during the second stay. It was a noisy stay and to top that the the people in the room right across the hall from ours were having a loud party. Men kept going in and out of the door and yelling in the hallway and the door was slamming shut. I called the front desk and reported the noise to them. They did send a security person up to our area and the noise level seemed to improve. I do believe that security spoke to persons in the room and then waited for a short time out in the hallway to listen in an attempt to see if the noise ceased. For their efforts the hotel is commended in responding so quickly to my complaint.
Rooms were clean and well appointed. Bathrooms are small. Towels, etc were good. Amenities were also good. Bathrooms were clean. The hair dryer in the second room in which we stayed did not work. When I called front desk to report this they immediately sent up a portable hair dryer for me to use. Lobby and dining room were well kept and clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. Our second stay in the Barcelo was only for one night.

Room Tip: Suggest getting a room away from elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Monterrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My last visit to Guatemala was 5 years ago, and back in that time I stayed at the Holiday Inn Guatemala, which was a good choice.

I decided to visit some customers and took a 2 days trip to have some meetings over Guatemala City and wanted to try a different hotel.

I checked options and I finally decided to take Barceló GUatemala, why?. Because 3 main points:

1. Free transfer to/from airport.
2. Rate that includeds premium room and full buffet breakfast.
3. Infraestructure and location

I booked my stay directly through the hotel reservation office doing reference to TA rate ($95.00 USD + tax) that included premium accomodation and free buffet breakfast daily. I got my a friendly replay confirming my booking. I also gave my flight details to make sure I got transportation when arriving to Guatemala's Airport.

A nice Shuttle was waiting for all Barceló guests and after waiting just a coupple of minutes we were conducted to the hotel. When I arrived to the hotel, check in was fast and accurate. I felt really secure in the area and hotel security itself was very good as well.

Hotel infraesctructure is very well preserved and eventhough it is not a new hotel, everything was spotless clean and very nice. I did not know that this hotel used to be the Marriot Guatemala a few years back, but with Barcelo management was perfectly suitable for my needs.

I got a very nice corner room, with all amenities that a hotel of this level offers. Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was very nice as well, bright, clean and fresh. Bed was heaven!. I slept like an angel really.

Breakfast buffet is really complete and you may also have it at the pool area. There is a handcraft and souvenir shop within the hotel which I found very useful for some gifts to my family. In general, lobby, reception, bar and all common hotel areas are very nice and spacious. There was an event at the convention center attached to the hotel, but there was enough space for all of us.

Me and other colegues walked to the Hard Rock cafe at night around 8 blocks away and eventhough later we were told it was not such a good idea, I never felt unsecure. There are a Mcdonalds and a Pizza Hut just around the corner. I tried the Sushi restaurant inside the hotel and I liked a lot, very nice food presentation and tasty japannese food.

Only downside of the hotel would be that the charge for Internet WIFI connection, and it is more the botter that you have to pay it extra that the cost itself (it was around $10 USD per day).

I was very happy to have chosen this hotel for my stay and I will take it again for my next visit and of course... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!.

Von voyage!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at Hotel Barcelo, Guatemala City and enjoyed it very much. The food was really good and the service excellent with a very friendly and attentive staff.
We definitely qould stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Great property. It's very clean. The staff is extremely helpful and all speak English. You feel very safe. All the entrances are guarded. The pool area is lovely. Our stay included breakfast and let me say the buffet was OUTSTANDING. Great way to start the day. On the down side, the restaurants choices are not great (sports bar, Japanese restaurant, buffet which, while great for breakfast, wasn't as good for dinner) and the decor is a bit dated. However, these issues were more than compensated for by the great staff, comfortable beds and luxury amenities (bath robes, too). The rooms have roomy terraces with a clothes drying rack (always appreciated!). We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the pool as it's a bit quieter; however, we had a room facing the road...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I spent a night here before a flight and was very happy with my stay. The rooms were large, they were clean, and they had a good offering of toiletries to forgetful travelers. The elegantly decorated lobby offered several options for dining and drinks as well as friendly, staff. Room delivered breakfast, which I selected the night before and hung on the door for collection (past the 1AM deadline I might add), showed up when I had requested, it was inexpensive, and most importantly, it was delicious. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle to the airport which was timely and convenient. My stay was brief and as a result, I didn't get to sample all the hotel had to offer, however I would give this hotel my highest recommendation to travelers looking for a comfortable stay in Guatemala City.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The quality of my stay was superb, with the people in the concierge always ready to help me and suggest me activities in my free time.
good restaurant on site
very good breakfast
good and clean rooms
and specially the right price for a very good overall quality

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have stayed at the Barcelo on 2 recent trips to Guatemala. Rooms on both occasions were very clean and comfortable. During our most recent trip, we were upgraded to a 2-level suite which was very nice.

Location is very close to the airport so suited us very well especially since we arrived both times late at night.

The best part of staying at the Barcelo is the wonderful buffet breakfast that is included in the price of the room. Wide variety of cereals, fruit, and juices as well as an omellete bar.

Part of the Barcelo chain of hotels, this hotel is not a boutique hotel (does not bill itself as such), but is a good, solid business hotel.

Will continue to stay here again on future trips to Guatemala City.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Guatemala City? Share your experiences!