“Stay if you like Diarrhea” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Visit to the city
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stay if you like Diarrhea”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I got food poisoing there. Stay was only mediocre until then, room was clean but dingy. Felt very safe though, which I undertand is a priority in G.C. I stayed there though Gate 1 tours which luckily refunded some of my money.

Room Tip: The included breakfast is no value, and stay away from the hotel restaurants.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

October 2012, This was my second time to this hotel, both times after exhausting medical missions in small rural villages in the mountains of Guatemala. The first visit 2 years ago was very unexpected - our plane had mechanical problems, so the airline put us up at this hotel. After spending almost 2 weeks in very rough accommodations, and sharing rooms with 3 to 5 people per room - the Barcelo was HEAVEN!! We arrived at 8am and found out that we EACH had our OWN rooms for the next 24 hours!!!

The rooms and hotel are GORGEOUS (and not just 3rd world gorgeous - gorgeous on any continent!). This second trip was an overnight stay before catching our flight home, and was something I was really looking forward to! Rates were very reasonable, the food at this hotel was fabulous! After 2 weeks of local Guatemalan food up in the mountains (and most of it very good!), it was still wonderful to dig in to some excellent North American 'home' cooking :-)

The pool is beautiful, and they even have 'fruity' vacation drinks served pool side. The ONLY complaint I would make is that during both visits it took an hour or longer to get the drink at pool side. Every other area of this hotel had EXCELLENT service!! After 2 weeks of 3rd world living, and struggling with my very poor Spanish - it was nice to have service in English, and feel like a 'Queen-for-a-day'! I'm definitely NOT complaining about ANY part of my trip to Guatemala - the medical missions were SO rewarding for me, that I feel terrible even making any negative comments in this review......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Barcelo in Guatemala City the week before Christmas in 2012. My tour was organized by Gate 1 Tours, who used a local agency, Clark Tours. The hotel is only 10-15 minutes from the airport and in a quiet neighborhood. I was not expecting a 4 star quality because of the price of the tour, and was pleasantly surprised when I checked in. I was given a large corner room with double balconies and huge sliding glass doors on the 8th floor, with views of the volcanoes and a king size bed. A big buffet breakfast was included as well. The staff speaks English and was very helpful. My only complaint is that there was no free WiFi, as this is now standard at many hotels. The hotel was probably fairly quiet because of the time of year I was there, but it far exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room high up if it is available. The room feels bigger and views are great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I had a reservation at Barcelo for nine days. The staff gave me a plain room, instead of the room I had reserved. Their explanation was that those rooms were not available because they were remodeling them. I asked for the manager and was told he was on vacation. A rude supervisor sent me to the business center to "get help." Two days later I was on the street with my luggage and no room.

• Stayed December 2012
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Rooms are a little dated but staff is kind and responsive, the pool area is really impressive and the breakfast buffet is surprisingly good with LOADS of options. Someone from the hotel was waiting for us at the airport and transportation to the hotel went smoothly. Recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

There were some things that drove me nuts about this hotel, and others that were great. Not good: 3 rooms in a row had problems with the lock on the sliding glass door onto the patio. The bath/shower is configured such that you have to be IN the bath to turn on the water, but the hot water is scalding hot, so I seriously scalded my feet trying to turn on the water for a bath. The good: beautiful lobby with lovely holiday decorations, fabulous full breakfast buffet with lots of tropical fruits. Also I left something in my room when I checked out, and they found it and got it to a friend who was still there. It is close to the airport so that is a plus too. However I had concerns about security with the unlocked door, and I was limping from scalded feet. They could easily turn down the temperature of the hot water to a safe level, given the poorly designed shower/bath configuration. I am afraid a child is going to be seriously injured.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the tall tower facing the volcano. The corner room has 2 balconies - 2 sets of windows...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel has gone severely down hill since it was the Marriott. I walked off the elevator and it was so overly perfumed that I choked. It was just as bad in my room and they now have bedbugs. Got bitten during the night and had to change rooms. Disgusting! Do not stay here!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BarceloManager, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Barceló Guatemala City during your stay in Guatemala.

Please accept our most sincere apologies regarding the incident which occurred during your stay with us, it does not at all reflect our standards of quality and hygiene.

We have taken preventive actions in order to avoid this and thank you in advance for giving us a chance of attending you again.

Barceló Staff

Been to Barcelo Guatemala City? Share your experiences!