“Not up to usual Westin standards” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Camino Real

You added Westin Camino Real to your Saves list
Westin Camino Real
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Camino Real 0-20, Guatemala City 01010, Guatemala   |
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Ottawa, Canada
“Not up to usual Westin standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

First time at this property, would I return? hmmmm. I arrived around 4 pm, no door man, or anyone in sight to give directions to the reception desk or help with luggage or even "welcome you" to the property. Reception desk is not immediately visible and you have to search for it while struggling with luggage. Felt like I was being "processed" at check in, it was as if clerk was reading from a script, no warmth, no real enthusiasm, no interest, just a check list of questions to be asked and give the guest a key. There was no offering of any info on the property, no maps, no explanation of what was around. I checked in at the Gold and Preferred Guest area and there was no one behind me, and just couldn't help feel like, I was just another check in. Granted, I was not in a suit and tie checking in, and may not have fit the usual client profile checking in, but still. After check in , was like, oh, I guess that's it?? The room I had 457 on the Gold Preferred floor was a bit tired. The room was spotless, but a big open area that looked like maybe there had been a couch or furniture in the void space but was no longer there. Bathroom? Hmmmmm, the sink looked like it had been "painted" white, but had a few flecks missing from the paint. Bathrobe hanging in the closet was I think past its prime and was pretty thin. I found it odd that there were not a lot of plug in spots to plug in a charger in the room, but 4 ? in the bathroom. I didn't want to recharge my iPod in the bathroom, and had to unplug one of the lamps in order to recharge iPod. The pool area was nice and relaxing and the hot tub very welcome after having roughed it a bit in the hill north of Antigua for a few days. Disappointed the sauna was out of order too, no apologies, just no! the sauna is not working today. When will it be fixed? We don't know. On check out, I asked for a copy of my bill and the clerk kept insisting there was no bill as it had been prepaid, it was not, and at 4 am I just wanted a copy of my bill before I left for the airport. He finally realized it had not been prepaid, and produced a bill. I noticed afterwards a room service and room service tip, I did not order any room service only to have it explained this was my "breakfast charge" despite having the breakfast included in the rate and as I was leaving before breakfast was served, they did provide a box breakfast of a sandwich, banana, orange and a juice. It was nice having a "complimentary" shuttle to the airport. Overall..... maybe a 5 out of 10

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ximena R, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits, and also every detail you mentioned in your comment is already notify to responsible department . Again thank you for taking time of writing this review of our hotel. This is very helpful to receive such comments which help us to get better every day.

We really appreciate if we can do something for you in order to visit us again. Please feel free to let us know at coordinador_mercadeo@caminoreal.com.gt.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Weston, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My second visit, I stayed in one of the newly remodeled rooms and it was great, good, comfortable bed. Breakfast is excellent and they have a cook making fresh omelets for you... Internet is not included and you have to pay extra (you have to call them to get access to a 2nd device at no extra cost...if you have a 3rd device you have to pay an extra $5).

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool otherwise it will get very noisy in the early morning from the nearby str...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ximena R, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel. It´s a pleasant received such amazing comments which help us to keep our high service standard. Your compliments are really a positive stroke and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

Guayaquil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel, and it was a great visit. Much better than my visit in March 2012. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fifth floor had been recently renovated. New furniture, new paint, and a brand new shower in the bathroom. The hotel is almost 50 years old, but it felt like staying in a brand new location.

Excellent breakfast, and Guatemalans are excellent hosts. The hotel is conveniently located in Zona 10. There are several restaurants nearby you can walk to such as Pans & Co. and San Martin.

My only complaint is that the walls are too thin. It feels like the guest in the room next door is actually in the room with you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We are very glad to receive this kind of comments about our hotel; we really appreciate a positive stroke that pushes us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review from our hotel. It´s a pleasant received such amazing comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in Zona 10 with easy access to restaurants, bars and shopping. The breakfast was good and room service menu typical Starwood, OK, not spectacular. I didn't eat dinner in the restaurant.

My only real complaint is the little things. As an example, for security reasons you must use your key card to get to your floor in the elevator. This would be fine except the card readers in both elevators barely work and it frequently takes many swipes. Even the bell staff had trouble with it and I switched cards to make sure I didn't just have a dodgy card. This problem means you often end up going past your floor while you try to get the elevator to read your card.

Nice pool and poolside area and a very reasonably priced little "duty-free" in the lobby.

All in all a nice hotel. I would call it sub-standard for a Westin save for the location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for such a great comment it always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to keep our high service standard.

We are sorry for the inconvenient with your key card, we are working on that problem. Thank you again for taking time of writing this review from our hotel. This is very helpful to receive such comments which help us to get better every day.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here four nights recently, all on the third floor. The hotel is well located in zona ten. The facilities are very nice. They are not 'brand new' but are certainly more than adequate and quite nice. We found the service to be excellent in all the departments we visited or interacted with. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Our first nite we had some 'ugly Americans' in the next room making a lot of inconsiderate noise till 4AM. The noise did carry through the walls but the fault was with the guests not the hotel. The other nights there was no untoward noise despite parties downstairs. The food in the restaurants was good and about average for hotel food. The presentations were fine. We've done a lot of travel around the US and around the world. This hotel compares favorably with others around the world in its class. We would certainly stay in this facility if we return to Guatemala City.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Guatemala City, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Strategically located in the business center and party disctric of guatemala, just a block away from the new Hard Rock Cafe this hotel has been an icon in guatemalan history.

Fair bulding, a little outdated, but not yet classic. Sumptuos decoration, but now a days the hotel has undergone a terrible administration and unhelpful staff, do not expect royal treatment as they offer because that IS false advertising.

Room Tip: Prepaid the reservation with a travel agency.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ximena R, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient in your visit, this will be notify to every manager of each area, our guest service is the most important for us. Again thank you for taking time of writing this review of our hotel service. Such comments will help us to get better every day.
Please feel free to let me know if we can do something for you in order to visit us again, my email address is coordinador_mercadeo@caminoreal.com.gt

Very truly yours,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed at the Westin for one night only, Jan 5th, 2013. The hotel is located in the middle of Zona 10, where all major hotels are. The lobby its nice, the bed on the 9th floor was good. They have free shuttle service to and from the airport. Those are the good aspects I can mention about this hotel.
When I checking they assigned me room 432 the view was to an A/C machine and a roof, but the worst was the bathroom sink which was cracked and chipped looked nasty (photo). When i complaint they changed me to room 738...same sink problem (photo). Finally they gave me room 938...a little better. Throughout this room changes I had to carry my own luggage. For a " 5 star rating" as they say they have, unaceptable. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to not repeat it again, also every detail you mentioned in your comment will be notify to the responsible department . Again thank you for taking time of writing this review.

It very important to us receive such comments which help us to get better every day.
Please feel free let me know if I can do something for you in order to visit us again, my email address is coordinador_mercadeo@caminoreal.com.gt

Very truly yours,

Been to Westin Camino Real? Share your experiences!