“Great Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Camino Real

You added Westin Camino Real to your Saves list
Westin Camino Real
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Camino Real 0-20, Guatemala City 01010, Guatemala   |
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Lima, Peru
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was at the hotel last July for a business trip, they have a great Service, people was very very helpfull at every moment, the pool area is very nice and the Breakfast is highly recommended as well.
The Italian restaurant just in the front door is one of the best i tried in the GT city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ximena R, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, August 16, 2012

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.
It´s a pleasant received such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I usually stay at the Westin during my business trips to Guatemala.
The last visit was a disaster...
Horrible room, with a window to a veranda that is really not used. This because I am a SPG.
No hot water in the morning was truly unacceptable.
And to crown, the only thing I got at the checkout was "we're sorry".
I am definitely go back to the Intercontinental across the street.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits. Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel. For us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better every day.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip on my first trip to Guatemala city. An average hotel but don't know the standard of hotels in this part of the world so my review is based on international hotels.

Good :
Location - Fairly safe part and you can walk out for a stroll in the evening and some descent restaurants nearby
Facilities - The hotel has most facilities that a good hotel required SPA, Pool, Bar, Restaurant, Express Laundry service etc
Bed - excellent and lives up to Westin's heavenly bed standard

The hotel is always full of people in the lobby which makes it lively.

Bad :
SPA - skip it
Rooms - Old look and facilities. Have to struggle to find a plug point for phone charger.
bathrooms - small and cramped for space. The shower was good.
Staff - Very impersonal and a bit indifferent
Bar - very loud local music and mostly empty

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better every day, we are sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I love the Westin Camino Real; I love it for its rooms, for its beds, for its restaurants (and for its breakfast buffet--although be warned: if it's not included it'll cost you an arm and a leg), for its fitness centre, for its pool area, and for its lobby spaces. But here's the reason I'll never stay anywhere else in Guatemala City: the last time I stayed at the Westin Camino Real I forgot my laptop in my room, and the hotel hand-delivered it to the airport for me. If that's the sort of customer service I can expect there I will never hesitate to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, July 11, 2012

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.
It always a pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel a few times. Overall good impression from the place and the service was very good. The location is very good - close to the airport and in zone 10 which is save. Restaurants, bars and clubs - all in walking distance or short drive with a cab. On my last two stays I finally managed to spend some time at the pool - very recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

In the past three years, I have made 20 trips to Guatemala. I get a good rate on the CR through a local travel agent. The bottom line is that its combined location (zone 10, safe enough in the daytime) and super service on the room floors (spottier in lobby) make me keep coming back to this hotel. I stayed at the Intercontinental down the street in January 2012 (see review), but it didn't compare. The Intercon is darker, the gym is smaller, the pool is unattractive, and the hotel lacks the on-site services that the CR provides, namely, a shop where you can buy everything from bottles of wine to souvenirs to books on Guatemala's civil war. This is a huge convenience all by itself when it is 8pm and after a day running around for work all you want is large bottle of water, some peanuts, a couple glasses of wine.
Downside of the CR: The Internet is a rip-off at $10 a day and, as a previous poster noted, there are not enough outlets. In addition, t.v. reception is spotty: during my 3-night stay in March the t.v. barely worked. A few rooms still have the clunker t.v.s, so don't assume you'll get a flat screen.
Upside of the CR: As noted, service on the room floors is excellent: whether you need a corkscrew, a needle and thread or someone to tweak the refrigerator (this has happened twice in the past year: refrig. needed replacing), they are there in a jiffy, with a smile.
Finally, the reason to stay at the CR instead of the (superior) Barceló four blocks away is location, a detail that escapes first-timers in Guatemala. The Barceló is ranked higher on TA, and for good reason: the physical plant is more capacious and offers even more services than the Camino. However -- and this is a huge "however" -- its location in zone 9 makes it, in my book, a sketchy place to hang one's hat. Although zone nine technically is "just across the street" from the Camino Real (they are separated by the noisy, cacaphonous Avenida Reforma), this distinction is crucial.While you can walk in zone 10 at night provided you take precautions, zone 9 is virtually no man's land; you cannot go anywhere on foot and maintain a reasonable expectation of not getting mugged.

Room Tip: Request ahead of time a room with flat screen. Also, the hotel van at airport often waits 20 in or...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Ximena R, Gerente at Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you are a Starwood member, this place can be a real bargain. No complaints here. Conveniently located just a few minutes to the airport and they provide a free shuttle.

Copious amounts of hot water and if you want a relaxing tub bath after weeks of showers only hotels, then this will be a welcome sight.

Yes no wifi, but you may score a free wifi depending on your Startwood status.

My second visit. Enjoyable. Safe, secure, quiet. It has just about everything.

Recommended

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Regards,

Been to Westin Camino Real? Share your experiences!