“great for 1 night” 4 of 5 stars

6ta Avenida 7 - 84 zona 10, Guatemala City 10110 , Guatemala   |
co
“great for 1 night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I spent my last night in Guatemala here. I got the private room with a small balcony. It was very nice. Nothing super special but it was clean and quiet the bathroom was just down the hall. I hated all the stairs to get to the rooms but over all it was a good value and like I said great place for 1 night. Its great that they offer pick up and drop off to the airport the driver was very nice. Everything was smooth and easy.

Room Tip: When I was there the whole place was very quiet but I did enjoy having a room I could step out onto...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
Belize City, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

As soon as I arrived I was helped with my bags and welcomed by Marcos and the staff. I was nervous about travelling by myself but was made to feel like I was at home at Quetzalroo, it was a really lovely experience especially as Marcos helped and advised me where to go/ where to stay on my onwards travels. All the guests were lovely and we all went out to eat dinner together (which the hostel dropped us to and picked us up from!!) There was such a friendly vibe from Quetzalroo I can not thank them enough for welcoming me to Guatemala with their homely attitude and interesting facts about the city!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Geislingen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed there twice - at the day of our arrival and of our departure. You can get picked up by the hostel and be brought to the airport.
The hostel is in Zona10 - the safest zone. So a good place for your first days in the big, at the beginning quite scary city Guatemala-City.
The owner is better than every tourist-guide-book. He can help you in Guatemala-City with what ever you need or want to know. Where to shop, cheap or upper-class, where the best museums are and how to get arround. He even took some guys from the hostel on a bike trip with him arround the city. In the evenings the owner can recomend you places where to go/ where to party and he takes everybody from the hostel who wants to go.
He has travelled Guatemala himself a lot. So he can also tell you what to do and where to go in the different places. Not all suggestions are to be found in your travel-book! He also knows a lot about organisations which help poor people in Guatemala, where to book your trips and so on.
The hostel itself is clean and has a very friendly environment. The (included) breakfast with fresh fruit, toast and handmade jam is really, really good! We met a lot of cool people there.
If we go back to Guatemala-Cyty, we go back to Quetzalroo!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I chose this hotel due to it saying there is Vegemite to be found in Guatemala! Having lived in Oz before the name literally sprung to me and the added bonus of Guate City being our last stop also helped with the shuttle bus to the airport where the flight was leaving as the sun came up.

We had arrived from the Tikal very early morning but were given a room at 6am as the bus driver saw we were tired from that journey...it was the best sleep ever!

The hostel had helpful staff who mapped out places to see in the city and explained how the transport worked and the free breakfast was good and where I got my fix of Vegemite on toast. The rooms were big and clean as were the bathrooms.

The hostel was close to the nightlife part of the city and in which I suggest you get a cab back if you are staying out late.

Wanting to go back to Guatemala again, I would definitely stop off here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Quetzalroo is a clean hostel in a safe location in Guatemala City. We stayed for two nights in the off peak season, the hostel was not full so the layout of the rooms was not a problem for us. We had similar experiences to previous reviewers and found some members of staff patronising and rude during our stay.

Note: There are not only three rules in this hostel as advised on the posters

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was planning to stay in a luxury hotel as i had heard Guatemala City was dangerous. After meeting someone that had just stayed here I changed my plans and am very glad i did.
The family run hostel is super friendly and make you feel at home as soon as you arrive. Marcos runs free group tours of bars, restaurants and day trips and clearly takes pride in showing travellers the funky, hip fun parts of his city.
An amazing way to see a city that has such a bad stigma to it. I would definitely stay here again when i travel back through.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed at the hostel for two nights as a first stop I Guatemala. I travelled alone and hoped to meet people at the hostel to do explore the city with - and I did. The atmosphere at the hostel is very relaxed and different activities are offered. The first evening a optional dinner was arranged at a local restaurant. The day after I joined a biking tour in the City (120 Q) - do that if you have the chance. For 4-5 hours we visited galleries, saw architecture, churches, bar etc. and had great street food. The staff was very nice and proposed tours and other activities in other parts of Guatemala. If you are looking for a quiet hotel room, go to a hotel. If you want to meet people and have some great days go to Quetzalroo.

Stayed July 2014

Been to Quetzalroo? Share your experiences!