“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

6ta Avenida 7 - 84 zona 10, Guatemala City 10110 , Guatemala   |
London, United Kingdom
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Incredibly helpful and encouraging staff at the hostel. they offer great tours and tips for Guatemala city and tis surrounding volcanoes. the rooms were good and the facilities were clean and also good.
good location, close to the airport with shuttle services

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here for the first time in the end of august while leaving Guatemala. It is well worth the money, Cheap and clean and the staff is vey friendly. Located just a short drive from the airport it is an exellent place to stay when arriving late/leaving early. I came in with a bus to the center and they pick you up at the bustations and also include transport to the ariport. It all went so well even if the driver was running a bit late because of traffick. They had my phonenumber and kept me informed. Also arranged for me to get som pizza delivered because I came in late.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Quetzalroo meets all of your basic requirements in terms of rooms, beds, bathrooms, breakfast and wifi. Where it excels is in its excellent customer service and the enthusiasm the owners have for showing visitors both Guatemala City and Guatemala in both an honest and positive light. Many people told me I was crazy to stay even one night in GC however after the hostel's excellent city tour I felt it was time very well spent. We were impressed by the passion and generosity of the hostel staff and would highly recommend spending a night or two at this hostel and making time for a city tour (the airport shuttle service is also very helpful!).

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hostel was very disappointing especially after reading such good reviews. I emailed to book a room but didn't get a response so I rang and was told that a private room would be booked for me and to ring them when I arrived to get the free lift. After an 18 hour bus ride from Managua I rang the hostel and was told they had no such booking and all the rooms were full. The owner then remembered my call and apologised for forgetting to book the room. It was midnight and we didn't have much choice other than stay in a dorm. The dorms are ridiculously overpriced for what they are (even with the small discount we received for the stuff up) - the mattress protector makes it very squeaky and the top bunk is slanted so you're restricted to one side of the bed. I appreciate that the owner apologised and acknowledged the fact he stuffed up as well as offering us a discount and Marcus was great the next morning with telling us lots of info about where to go in Guatemala. Even so the dorms are certainly not worth it for the price and the breakfast is very basic. They sound as though they have been in the business for a while so to make a mistake such as forgetting to write down a phone booking is inexcusable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManuelRomeroCloseQR, Owner at Quetzalroo, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hello travelers. I really want to apologise for forgetting to book you in. Thanks for writing this review

Manu
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We came to Guatemala city because we had to - planned to stay for the night and get the hell out of there. But then we came across the Quetzalroo`ers. Manuel and Marcus were amazing. showing us where to go, what to do, and even coming with us and making our stay absolutely great. We felt safe, welcomed and at home. Great place, great atmosphere, great staff!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I spent one night at Quetzalroo during an overnight layover on my way to Panama. The hostel is a quick 5 minute ride from the airport and you get a free shuttle each way. The owners are intelligent, friendly local guys. The hostel is immaculately clean and very comfortable. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 3 was clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Nebaj, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

True, the flight from Miami to Guate City is only a few hours, but by the look of two bedraggled backpackers, wandering aimlessly through baggage claim, you would have guessed it was at least a six hour flight. Brains fried and shoulders heavy, we were relieved to see Manuel waiting for us at the gate. He scooped us up and brought us on a short drive to the lovely Quetzalroo- a little slice of hostel heaven in Zone 10. The beds were cozy, the service was divine, the rooftop- a little gem overlooking the city. We absolutely enjoyed our stay here. The staff was, undoubtedly, the most helpful that I have ever encountered in a hostel. I'm proud to say I send people here all the time, comfortable in the fact that I know they will be treated well and be taken care of. :]

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends