“Great service, comfy location recommend to all” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eco Suites Uxlabil

You added Eco Suites Uxlabil to your Saves list
Eco Suites Uxlabil
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   11 calle (15 avenida final) 12-53 zona 10 Oakland, Guatemala City 01010, Guatemala   |
“Great service, comfy location recommend to all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Last minute booking, did get only room available which was in the back of the office. It's located deep inside a great neighbourhood, the staff were great and our 2 night stay was just perfect. TV was old and w bad picture but now a big deal with so much to see in Guatemala.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Set inside a residential estate called Oakland, this is a lovely quiet place to stay in the middle of Guatemala city. The design is nice and we had a room with a kitchen area which was clean and bright. We stayed for 1 week and in general it was very good value for the week long stay. The only inconvencience was the lack of internet - the signal would cut out all the time which was very frustrating - so I am surprised to see here similiar complaints from a traveler who stayed in 2011! The only thing about staying here is that you do need a car - or be prepared to walk or take taxis. It is about a 30 minute walk across the state to the main road where buses pass or to the Oakland Mall which is right next door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JERSEY, CHANNEL ISLANDS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

we stayed here for our first and last night in guatemala city. It's located in a gated area so feels very safe and is quiet. The hotel is beautifully designed and decorated and very comfortable. we had an appartment with a balcony which was perfect for us. The beds were clean and comfortable and the fridge and kitchen were a useful addition. There is no restaurant but they happily ordered food in for us at a time that suited us all. No lift but the hotel isn't huge and no bar or lounge area but each set of rooms seems to have all you need, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: higher fllors have better views. bring your food though they have some drinks and snacks available a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Amherst, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

In short, I would recommend this place, either for long term or short-term stays. I stayed here 3 months while on a research trip, and needed a quiet, safe place with a kitchenette. Uxlabil fit the bill nicely. More details:

Security/Location:
In a very secure (gated) neighborhood. The only downside is that it is at the back end of the neighborhood, and there is no direct route to get to the main road. So walking anywhere requires 12 minutes just to get out of the residential neighborhood – entirely doable, just an inconvenience unless you’re taking a taxi everywhere. However, that 12-minute walk is safe and pleasant, even at night.

The plus side of being at the back of the residential neighborhood is that the place is very peaceful, and I slept great almost every night. You can actually forget that you’re in Guatemala City – which is a nice thing to come home to after a day in the city’s hustle and bustle. One reviewer noted the noise of an on-site private party, but that was a one time thing in my three months there.

Cleanliness:
Pretty good. There is daily cleaning service to empty the trash, sweep the floor, make the bed, etc.

Hot Water:
As other reviewers have noted, the hot water can be spotty. There were only a few times I took a cold shower during my stay, and for Guatemala I considered that to be pretty good. The hot water situation is better during or after a sunny day, when the solar panels have absorbed a lot of energy.

Internet:
As other posts have indicated, the internet connection could be improved. There were very frequent dropped connections, with outages usually only lasting a few seconds to a few minutes. Considering that they charge $50 per month for internet, it was a major irritant on the few instances when the connection went out for hours at a time. However, during my last few weeks there the connection seemed to improve, so hopefully this issue has been resolved.

Miscellaneous:
No complaints about the service – all of the staff were very friendly and accommodating whenever I needed anything. There is on-site do-it-yourself laundry that was $2 per load (wash and dry); it has been raised to around $3.25 – still not a bad deal. They will also do your laundry for you for a fee.

For me, the furniture is something that could help the place live up to its potential. My room had furniture that was more decorative than it was comfortable. Some small end tables, reading lamps, and most of all, a comfortable sitting chair or a more comfortable couch would be a big improvement, in my opinion. I should say that the furniture in other rooms may be better (I stayed in one room my entire time there, but also saw three other rooms).

All in all, the place is a good value in a very nice neighborhood, and during my long stay it did come to feel like my “temporary home” – living up to their slogan.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
uxlabilatitlan, Marketing & Reservations at Eco Suites Uxlabil, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thank you very much Kevin for all your kind comments and also for the recommendations. We hope that the studies you conducted here will fill you with satisfaction in your career, and that you come and visit us again soon.
Guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

The cable signal was very bad, I told the front desk and he told me that It was impossible to fix it, nevertheless the TV that was in the reception was with very good sign.

To window curtains should be black out, since in the morning you cant sleep once the sunlight comes out.

Very uncomfortable beds, so hard.

Very clean and good location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
uxlabilatitlan, Marketing and Reservations at Eco Suites Uxlabil, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear Mr. David, thank you so much for all your comments, we're really sorry for all the inconveniences you had, but we thank you greatly for them, as this comments always help us improve our quality of service. I only like to ad that here at Uxlabil we are nature lovers, and we hope that the people who comes here with us enjoys it too, also in order to contribute with our planet to save energy, we try to keep all the natural light possible in every apartment, that explains the lightness of our curtains. Regarding the beds, we're really sorry not to be able to please everyone about the softness or hardness of their likings. As for the cable signal, this month we had some troubles with the provider and we also detect some problems with some of the cable connections, but we had everything fixed now, so you're welcome to come back anytime you like! We thank you again for your truthful and honest comments, we really appreciate them.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I was doing a summer internship in Guatemala City (coming from the US) and stayed at Uxlabil for the months of June, July, and August. It is very affordable month-to-month for the value of the place and in one of the best neighborhoods in the city. It's in Oakland, which is inside the Zone 10 section of the city -- and it is one of the only neighborhoods where you will see joggers, people walking their dogs, and couples going for evening strolls. Very safe, charming, and there are lots of trees that gives it a more relaxed feel -- even though it was just minutes or a short taxi ride from my favorite posh restaurants and dance clubs.

The staff is so helpful and accommodating -- from providing me with maps to find my way around to the daily smiles and friendly face of the cleaning staff, they are very non-assuming, let you to your own business, but are there when you need them. I am a young, single woman and felt very comfortable living here in a city that is supposedly very dangerous -- I would stay here again were I to come to Guatemala as a short-term resident!

The only downside was that the shower was sometimes cold -- as an "eco hotel," I believe that it is difficult to keep the water warm for so many guests while saving money/being eco-friendly. I occasionally found it cold in the mornings, but at other times of the day it was almost always hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a tour and/or options when you arrive -- each room is decorated differently and you may like...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
uxlabilatitlan, Marketing & Reservations at Eco Suites Uxlabil, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Thank you very much Jessie for your kind comments, we're very pleased to hear that you had a good time here with us and that your safe and well at home now. Regarding the water, we're really sorry about the inconveniences you suffered, I believed they were on the first months, but we hope to have it now under control, because we hire professionals to fix the problem, we haven't got any complaints so far, so I think it turned out fine.

You're most welcome to come again whenever you want and once again we thank you for all your comments and references.
Florence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The place is idiosyncratic. The pluses: on a quiet street, and felt quite secure at that location. Plus a really unique building, and a daily cleaning staff who always came in with a smile.

The main problem with Uxlabil stems from a lack of management. Good hotels require looking after lots of small details on a daily basis, and no one is doing it at Uxlabil. The apartments vary in quality, but even the nicest ones could use a good cleaning. Hot water is spotty, as is internet. They often deflected complaints, claiming there 'should' be hot water, when there just plain wasn't hot water, or that the internet connection was fine when the internet was not fine (e.g. one time the owner's son *saw* in our room that the signal was so weak that we couldn't connect to the internet, and yet still said that his internet is fine, so he didn't understand what the problem was). I discussed this with other guests in the lobby, and there was consensus that we all lacked hot water and internet.

While there, the owner held a private party that made a lot of noise. I found it disrespectful towards hotel guests to host a private party with noise and music which disturbed all the guests for hours. Strange priorities for a hospitality business. For me that was the straw; I wouldn’t stay here again. The place has lots of potential, and while the owners appear to believe that they are wonderful hosts, they don't really care for their guests.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
uxlabilatitlan, Marketing and Reservations at Eco Suites Uxlabil, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments, we really appreciate everything that can help us improve our quality of service. Regarding the water problem, we are pleased to announce that it has been solved by qualify technicians. As for the internet, we are even now in the process of searching and installing new equipment that will improve the signal strenght and reach through the building.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your comments. We´re really sorry about all the inconveniences you experienced. We´re constantly working to improve our services, and we hope you give us the opportunity to show you how we took your comments and translated them into needed improvements.

Been to Eco Suites Uxlabil? Share your experiences!