“Very old rooms but adequate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Service Hotel

Quality Service Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guatemala City
Quality Service Hotel
You added Quality Service Hotel to your Saves list
8 Calle 3-22 Zona 1 | Historic District, Guatemala City 01001, Guatemala   |
Ranked #29 of 44 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Very old rooms but adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I booked this hotel over the Internet - US$30 for one night. From memory, it was one of the few hotels that had a website. When I got there, I was shown a room with three beds (1 queen sized and 1 single). To be perfectly honest, I was quite taken aback by the state of the room and the bathroom. The room was very old such that it looked dirty. The bathroom was very cramped and did not feel clean. Furthermore, the corridors were really dark and I did not feel safe. Having stayed in posado dona luisa in antigua, this hotel really needed some getting used to. Additionally, they do not provide a shuttle service to the airport and rely on taxi bookings, which I was not too keen on regarding their reliability. I was ready to retract my booking.

However, when they realized I had made a booking, they showed me my room - a large room with a queen sized bed, an adjoining space for changing and a bathroom. This room was as old, but it looked cleaner and less cramped. The bathroom was a far cry to the one I was shown. Perhaps because of the number of occupants, the layout of the previous room did not do it justice. I was happier with my room and decided to stay. They also switched the lights on in the passageway when I commented that it was incredibly dark.

There is wireless but it is not accessible in the rooms. You can only use the wireless out in the corridors where there are benches and tables provided. This is also the communal area where you have your breakfast which is provided as part of the cost. You can pay a little more if you want additional stuff for your breakfast such as bacon, juice etc. Surprisingly, they had really good cable tv.

There is warm water, not hot water and this is only available after turning the tap on for at least 10minutes. The rooms are all located on the second level (no elevators) and behind a large set of locked gates. The passage way is an open area with plants. Because I arrived at night, it was dark and thus I probably did not get a first good impression.

The staff was geat and really patient. They spoke clear English. Although they do not provide a shuttle service, they do have however enjoy a good relationship with a few reliable taxi drivers. The taxi driver I booked was 10 minuites early (to give you perspective, being late is not considered rude in Guatemalan culture) and he was good at navigating traffic - we were at the airport in 20 minutes in early morning traffic (I was told it usually takes 40-60minutes).

The hotel was also located one block away from the central area. If I were to come back to Guatemala city and insist on staying in zone 1, I will return to this hotel only if I get the same room or a similar one. Otherwise I will look at zone 13 which looked slightly more modern.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before committing.