“very good and clean, not gourmet food” 4 of 5 stars

Guatefriend's Bed & Breakfast
16 Calle 7-40 Zona 13, Aurora 1, Guatemala City 01013, Guatemala   |
Ranked #8 of 38 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
La Liberta
“very good and clean, not gourmet food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Softest most comfortable bed I've slept in, super clean, Ruth is super kind, and I liked the availability of everything. Great hostel but the gourmet feast no longer exists. Still great hostel choice but don't expect those kinds of breakfasts. Loved it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I lived in Guatemala for 2 years, and any time I needed or wanted to stay near to the airport (closer than Antigua) this was the place. Joe and Ana are spectacular. They pick you up on a whim, bend over backwards to suite your needs, make delicious food, and maintain an air of happy relaxation. My girlfriend and I wanted to go to an orchid show - he said, "so do I, let's go". Turns out, Joe studied orchids and other tropical plants in Florida, is an excellent photographer, and has some 20 or 30 species at the Inn - among other plants. Another night we missed our plane and needed a doctor's note so Delta didn't charge us for rebooking. Ana knew an excellent doctor who was able to meet us that next morning and save our entire trip! Thank you so much! Fantastic service at a fair price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Me and Marianna we two lost english girls scared for our lives in guatamala city one september when joe kindly took us in (we were pretty poor) cooked us dinner and introduced us to anna and his children who were wonderful. We were cooked great dinners every night (with yummy dessert), interesting conversation and an overall brilliant experience we're still talking about two years later! We had promised we'd leave a review but until this time haven't got round to it, but drinking wine together and reminiscing we were overcome by guilt! Hope your family is well! (ps we stayed in 2010 but it wouldnt let us put that far back on this!)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Guatefriend's is a great place. It is clean, showers are warm, it is safe and the host went out of her way to make us feel comfortable. If you need a place to stay in Guatemala and you are an American you will be pleasantly accommodated.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Guatefriends is a great starting point for Guatemala. It's very warm, safe and clean, with hot showers, and Joe and Anna go out of their way to ensure your safety. This is more important in Guatemala than most parts of Central America in my opinion. Make sure you use their pickup and dropoff service - not only will you be scammed by the taxis otherwise (which is irritating but harmless), they will drive you all around some of the least safe parts of the city and ask unsavoury characters for "directions" before reaching your destination. Joe is a good cook who does exotic dishes, but I have a fairly bland palate due to some complex health issues, so I wound up eating out.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Wexford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Visiting, here for the first time, Rutt (Ruth) speaks perfect english, and hostel is clean, and spacious. I would recommend hee as a first stop off

Room Tip: Ring the hostel from the Airport and they will pick you up.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I'm also very late with my review and have been meaning to write it since I got back to London. I've done a lot of travelling all over the world and have probably stayed in at least 150 different hotels/hostels/B&Bs and Guatefriends B&B in Guatemala City is easily one of my favourites. I found them randomly on the internet and only booked for one night as I hadn't heard many positive things about the city but I ended up staying for three nights and kept coming back over the 2 months that I spent travelling around the country. Joe & Ana were such welcoming hosts and I soon felt part of the family. They were the first people I met in Guatemala and were a great introduction to a beautiful country. They're fun and informative and it's obviously important to them that you have a good time whilst you're staying there. I was to sad to leave but I hope to visit again in the future. Joe & Ana - thank you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Guatefriend's Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!