“Good food, great service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 46 Restaurants in Americus
Cuisines: Diner
Atlanta
“Good food, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is the place we found when searching for breakfast one morning-- not "brunch" or any trendy experience, but a good breakfast--- this was the spot. Standard breakfast fare available--- eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, waffles-- that sort of thing. The service was friendly and speedy, with plenty of attention and the food was HOT-- hooray!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ellaville, Georgia, United States
“Love the down home feel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have food allergies and I am allergic to gluten so my choices to eat out are very few but, I can eat here!! I have eggs, grilled chicken and grits! Eggs are perfectly cooked as well as the chicken. The only thing I wish they had was fresh vegetables, more salad fixin's (vegetables) than lettuce, and fruit. I know we are in the south and I love the south but, I have to be realistic that I have to eat well to feel well. I wouldn't mind paying more if it was fresh vegetables and fruit. The South has wonderful vegetables and fruit they should utilize them. I love the service and down home feel.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Georgia
“Great Service. The Food? Not So Much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Americus so desperately needs more dining choices, and I hate giving this review, but . . . While the ladies running the show were friendly and efficient, my waffle and sausage was lame. The cook could cook. The problem is, what can you do when the owners bring in cheap-o pancake syrup, gristly and funky-tasting sausage, and a margarine so fake, it didn't even melt on a hot waffle? Clearly, the local foods revolution is passing Americus by. Look, this eatery is on the beaten track. It's the closest eatery to Plains (where both restaurants are closed on Sunday evening). It could be and should be better. Sad to say, though, in a region (rural Georgia) where the locals either can't afford or won't pay for quality, 3 Squares will likely carry on shoveling out cheap and nasty for the customers, and nice profits for the owners.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent breakfasts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Every town deserves a 24/4 diner of decent quality and certainly no town more than Americus, where dining choices are rather few to begin with and those few almost all closed down on Sunday. Too late to plan ahead, I discovered the reason for this: no alcohol can be sold or served in Americus on Sunday. So much for my Southern stereotypes of everflowing moonshine and endless mint juleps. I'm sure that the local citizenry have their timehonoured ways of dealing with this predicament later in the day but it is awkward for visitors when even your hotel dining room is closed for breakfast.

Luckily, we had noticed this little diner out on the highway between Americus and Plains and recalled a sign in the window mentioning a "Readers Choice Award" for breakfast. it saved the day for us on Sunday morning. In fact, we enjoyed our breakfast there so much that we returned again on Monday. Good quality breakfasts, wide menu choice, bargain prices, coffee flowed freely, friendly efficient waitresses, true downhome local diner atmosphere. Not sure about other meals, looked like a much more limited selection.

I haven't seen such rich, deep yellow egg yolks or tasted such delicious "egginess" in a long time. In more pretentious parts of the country, these would parade as "premium/freerange/organic/omega3" or some such nonsense. Here at 3 Squares they are standard fare.

Going with the flow here, I took the standard grits with my eggs, though to tell the truth, my bottomline test of a diner is often the quality of their homefries. Didn't see any homesfries here, just hashbrowns, but they looked homemade and not out of a box of frozen patties.

• Visited March 2012