“Georgia Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Americus
Ilinois
“Georgia Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Windsor is so welcoming! The lobby reminds you of the elegance of days gone-by. The hotel balcony is a wonderful place to relax after a day of traveling. The rooms are huge and the bed quite comfortable.

During our stay, the desk was staffed by a very friendly and accommodating young lady. As we explored this beautiful structure, a manager (I assume) stopped to talk with us and offered details about the history of the building. She introduced us to the owners, who just happened to be showing the hotel to visiting family members. What a nice, personal touch!

The next day, we traveled just a few minutes to Plains, where locals were quick to answer our questions about the region. Next, we traveled in the opposite direction for the history 'buffs' in our group. We spent time at the Civil War site, Andersonville Civil War Prison/POW Museum. The Windsor was located in a perfect spot!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may want to avoid booking a room over the desk, as talking on the ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
South Carrollton, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

What a pleasant surprise to be staying here. The building is majestic for this little town. Inside lobby is lovely & the room we had was large & bright with very comfortable bedding. Love that we had so many pillows. Came during the week so no noise whatsoever from the pub or outside to disturb us. In fact, was very quiet. Enjoyed having a drink on the 2nd floor veranda, sitting in the rocking chairs. We ate dinner & breakfast here & the dining room is amazing. The spacious former ballroom turned dining room had the original tiled floor, with very large windows. Not your everyday dining, but wonderful for special occasions. Our dinners of shrimp & grits was the best I've ever had & my husband loved his steak. The price is comparable to many other very nice restaurants. Breakfast was much lower key, oatmeal or cheese grits. Worth a trip for a special dinner or for a night if you like historic hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Evans, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is officially known as the Windsor Hotel but was purchased and totally refurbished by Best Western. The exterior is majestic even though the area surrounding it has a lot of out of business buildings. The rooms are huge and well appointed. Great beds and linens.
Floyd's pub is minimal but the second floor veranda adjoining it has rockers and ceiling fans and is very comfortable. The service at Floyd's was fantastic and they have Pub grub appetizers. Yhe staff kept coming out onto the veranda checking on us.
Now for the negative. The main dining room. Beautiful and overpriced. $11 for eggs benedict at breakfast. No extras. The dinner menu is very limited and expensive.
Go across the street to The Station for dinner.
This hotel is half way between Andersonville Prison and the Jimmy Carter Historical area in Plains, Ga. Will stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Altamonte Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Running a motorcoach tour group through Americus and specifically reserved 20 rooms in this place. 20. Our last room was added on at the last minute - the one we are in- this was all that was left. We chose the Windsor for the fact that this was the historic property in town....for our customers to be somewhere special. No one mentioned the fact that there was a club on the second floor which played loud music from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. until we kept hearing the music and called down to see what all the commotion was about. I am on the third floor. Lots of words describe what I think but none of them are printable. This is supposed to be a hotel and a top notch place at that. Can you imagine having a hotel actually think its ok to have loud music playing for three plus hours while guests are renting rooms right above them? Incredible and unthinkable. When I asked not only the desk clerk at 10:30 p.m. when I went to bed....but the desk clerk at 1:26 a.m. as well, what was going, when I was sill awake, both mentioned I was in a smoking room. I guess that's supposed to mean it's ok. Well, newsflash, it isn't. And it's not the bands fault, it's the management. No one in their right mind puts a loud band beneath their guests rooms. I don't care if you are running a tour all day or coming in just to experience the "advertised ambience" of the place, you are not expecting loud blaring music beneath you for your visit. It 's not morning yet so I haven't heard from my 32 customers placed all over this hotel, but it better be good when we meet at breakfast. (Seriously, do you think the other rooms we rented are immune from the noise of a loud rock band reverberating throught these old floors?) These customers of mine are the same people who rose at 4:30 a.m. to come on our tour, and all of us have to get up to start our next tour day in a few hours. Did they sleep? And when does my sleep start? Word to the wise, don't expect quiet here on the weekends. Don't. ** I checked the Windor website and there is no mention of the fact that there is music being played above smoking or any other rooms. And by the way I'm not a smoker, but I thought the smell might be the only inconvenience i tolerated. I was wrong.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HistoricWindsorHotel, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Hotel Americus, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear nathan4444,

First of all, we would like to sincerely apologize for your experience. I would like to thank you for your review as we are always striving to do better. We did personally speak with you regarding your stay with us and I am genuinely sorry that you felt that this situation wasn't resolved after speaking over the phone.We did comp the room you were staying in as we wanted to ensure you knew we were deeply sympathetic. I will be staying at the hotel in the room you stayed in to see what we can do to better future guests stay on Friday evening. We have a gentlemen play on the guitar every Friday evening. We did discuss your tour group guests and they did not have any problems with noise issues, a lot of them approached the front desk clerk and said they had a good time and would be back. If anyone from your group had an issue, I would like for you to call me personally and/or email me personally, so I can speak with them and see how I could have made their experience better or to resolve any issues they had. Again, I apologize, as an owner I work extremely hard with my family to ensure that everyone has a good experience while at the Windsor Hotel. This is Americus’s jewel and it means a great deal to me and the community. Please give us another opportunity to help change your mind.

Sharad Patel
Owner
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to stay at The Windsor, ever since I walked through it as a child. When the opportunity presented itself I jumped, and the hotel was everything I imagined it would be. The service and check-in are fantastic and the hotel has enjoyed tasteful restorations over the years while keeping all of its character. The room I enjoyed had one queen bed, a gigantic window with a decent view, and an immaculate bathroom with granite vanity and capacious tub/shower. Every inch of the room was immaculate, with nice furnishings and thoughtful touches everywhere.

My only complaints are that the air conditioning was switched off when I entered the room, with the temperature reading 80, and that Americus is an EXTREMELY noisy little town at night. A bunch of critters set up a mobile night club down on the street with music blaring and people shouting at 2:00 A.M., and the police and firefighters go full-bore through town with sirens and lights ALL NIGHT. This happens every time I stay in Americus, but it is not the hotel's fault.

This hotel is a great value and a beautiful experience, but be prepared for the town outside to keep you awake all night.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Although a bit more expensive than a typical Best Western, it it worth staying here at least once. The building inside and out is just beautiful, rich with history. Allow time during your stop to view the staircases and beautiful woodwork. Our room, a step back in time, was very quiet, spacious and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was awesome.....modern with an 1800's flair. Beds extremely comfortable. Once minor flaw is that the window coverings do not block out all of the street light but this would not stop me from staying at this hotel again...and again. I would not recommend breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel -- expensive for what you get, food is ordinary. Try the sweet shop at the Hotel!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Americus
Quality Inn Americus
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#1 of 3 in Montezuma
5.0 of 5 stars 1 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Windsor Hotel Americus? Share your experiences!