“Amazing Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belcampo Lodge

You added Belcampo Lodge to your Saves list
Belcampo Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wilson Road, Punta Gorda, Belize (Formerly Machaca Hill Rainforest Canopy Lodge)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Victoria, Canada
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I, along with 2 friends spent 3 nights at this amazing lodge. The meals were some of the best we have ever had, fresh from the ground and ocean to the table, absolutely fabulous.

The resort and the jungle melded together to provide an overall one of a kind jungle vacation. I will never forget the sound of the howler monkeys - what a treat to have experienced that.

The sunset river cruise was amazing, what could be better than floating down (up) the river on a beautiful boat, glass of wine in hand and a beautiful sunset, made all the better by our very knowledgable and friendly captain Desmond.

Many thanks to Mara and her staff for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Our accommodations were on the side by pool. The location was great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Had a fantastic weekend here. The grounds were gorgeous. I spent a lot of time sitting in the hammock enjoying the beautiful views and nature sounds from my room. The food was fantastic and so fresh. You can taste the love put into the care for those ingredients. I highly recommend eating all your meals there and getting a massage (the spa view is one of the best!) If I had to be picky I wish there was room service so I could have the food in the room but it was nice to be forced out of my comfortable hammock.

It's really special what they are doing there, their eco values and specialty programs. I look forward to returning and hopefully taking one (or many) of the courses.

Thanks Belcampo you guys are awesome!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leonia, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We visited for our tenth wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIPs in this small but lovely lodge. All of the employees are very knowledgable, accommodating, outgoing, friendly and go the extra mile - our guide on one excursion offered some wild cilantro to us and when my husband mentioned he didn't care for it the guide made sure to tell the lodge so that all of his future meals would be cilantro free. Unfortunately, I got the flu two days into our trip and the general manager Mara was kind enough to help me with her own herbals to relieve my discomfort - which it did. The extra care all the staff puts in is more than I've seen at any 4 star hotel in the U.S.
We took the snorkeling tour with long time resident Jackie and had the most wonderful time learning about wildlife along the riverbank along our way to the ocean. All of the guides are extremely knowledgable. Chan, who took us to Li Nim Punit, was very resourceful, informative, fun and made our excursion relaxed and enjoyable.
The food here is delicious. My favorite was breakfast with hummingbirds flitting by over a meal of fresh farm eggs and coffee from a French press.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Gorgeous hotel! The most beautiful location! Fantastic views! Delicious food. We could not have asked for a more perfect honeymoon. We were greeted with a cool, refreshing drink and smiles on everyone's face.... that kind of service lasted throughout our trip. We absolutely loved our tour guide, Vince and especially enjoyed Whizz and Ducky in the bar/restaurant. They were fun, friendly and full of knowledge about the local area. Our favorite trip was to Blue Creek. The cave tour was absoultey amazing! By far, the most unique and fun adventure we've ever been on. We would highly recommend this resort. Little tip- make sure you know what liquor is included in the package you purchased : )

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had an amazing stay at this luxurious, full service paradise. We watched monkeys playing in the canopy from our own screened in porch, took a "snorkel with the chef" cruise that would satisfy foodies and adventurers alike, had a massage at the spa, and enjoyed all the creature comforts and the exceptional staff. Locally grown, sophisticated, and delicious food. We also enjoyed exploring the Mayan culture and seeing the local sights. CHOCOLATE!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had a great stay. Great People. Mara runs the lodge with pride. The food was fantastic! Thanks Chad. High quality lodge and rooms. The local guides were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Overall, highly recommended. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11. The highest on the property.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our 7th time to Belize but first time to Punta Gorda, and Belcampo. My first impression was the same as my parting impression - excellence in every corner, from meals, resort, staff, excursions, birding, fishing, etc.

When I began researching the perfect place to celebrate a “big” birthday, I discovered Belcampo Lodge from the Travel and Leisure article spotlighting this incredible eco-agri-jungle-fly-fishing adventure lodge.

At first, I thought the reviewers on TripAdvisor were exaggerating - how could one lodge provide everything an adventurous couple or family could want in one location? Belcampo Lodge not only has, but has exceeded our expectations on every level.

It's hard to add any new descriptives to the lists already presented by the many eloquent reviews, but I'll do my best. Work has taken us all over the world, and we have experienced the gamut of 5-star resorts, hotels, and restaurants. I can truly say that Belcampo is the complete package. This lodge dazzled us with amazing on-site sourced organic gardens where the chef turned these hand-picked vegetables and herbs into incredible 5 star restaurant creations. Belcampo also raises their own chickens for consumption as well as for eggs. Every other meat or seafood comes from locally sourced and environmentally conscious Mennonite farms. Every meal is fresh with a beautiful presentation. I am a restaurant reviewer for our local online paper (including a stint as an Iron Chef Judge at local restaurants competitions), hence judging food is more than just a passion. I wish I could add something here that wasn't already said, but I'll just say that we were overwhelmed by the gourmet quality of every meal we ate at Belcampo!

The cabana we stayed in exceeded our every expectation. Tucked away in the canopy, beautiful Mexican Saltillo tile flowed into the marble bathroom with a floor to ceiling window privately peering into the jungle. You can see howler monkeys while taking a shower. We had 2 incredibly comfortable queen size beds, and our very large quarters continued onto a screened-in veranda. Every morning we were brought delicious French pressed coffee to drink on our screened-in veranda while awakening to an array of birds and monkeys.

Just want to mention at breakfast you are served on a white linen table cloth with fresh homemade granola with yogurt and a fruit plate for starters. On the back of the menu is a birding identification chart, complete with binoculars and a spotting scope on the breakfast veranda. We saw parrots, toucans, trogons, and collared aracaris every morning, all the while serenaded by the howlers. The menu includes almost every type of free range egg with house-cured bacon, along with many other options.

One morning after breakfast we took about 50 steps from the breakfast veranda to go birding with Chan in the courtyard area. An hour and a half later we added 36 new bird species to our “life list.” Chan kindly emailed us the complete list so we could have the documentation.

We were mostly interested in fly fishing, so many of the mornings we were out early and onto the flats in no time. Our guide knew every corner of the rivers and cayes for permit habitat and could put us directly on them. One permit should have been a photo on our wall, but hey, that's why it's called permit fishing, not permit “catching.” We did take the 90 minute boat ride to Sapodilla Cayes, which are amazingly beautiful and I highly recommend it. We caught so many bonefish it was incredible. We also caught snook and jumped quite a few tarpon in the Rio Grande river right below the lodge. We saw a huge manatee, agouti, freshwater crocs (far more afraid of you than you of them), many eagle rays, bat rays, trigger fish, and many more oceanic creatures.

We also did the Blue Creek cave expedition, complete with ruins and lunch with Vince at his home. This is a once in a life time experience, as some other reviewers have mentioned and I highly recommend this excursion. Vince is incredibly knowledgeable about the Mayan cultural history, the local flora and fauna, and everything we were interested in. “Lights out” in the Blue River cave is an experience not to be missed,

Finally, I would like to give as many accolades as possible to Mara J., general manager. This self-sustaining, environmentally conscious, professionally staffed, and just incredible, incredible resort would not be possible if it weren't for Mara J. She is visible every day making sure every guest is completely satisfied. An incredible chef in her own right, Mara is a visionary, a people person and a one-in-a-million general manager that, in my opinion, Belcampo is very lucky to have in their corner.

We loved all of the staff; I don't want to mention people by name because I don't want to miss anyone. They all attended to our every request without hesitation or questioning whether it was possible.

This is a-once-in-a-lifetime experience, yet cannot wait to come back with our entire extended family. This lodge affords every imaginable activity you can think of along with food that is outstanding and hospitality that is second-to –none. All I can say is go!

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous. We walked around the resort and looked at everyone. However, I loved being...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belcampo Lodge? Share your experiences!