“Heavenly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belcampo Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Belcampo Lodge to your Saves list
Belcampo Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wilson Road, Punta Gorda, Belize (Formerly Machaca Hill Rainforest Canopy Lodge)   |
Special Offer
Buy two get three nights!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Leonia, New Jersey
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We visited for our tenth wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIPs in this small but lovely lodge. All of the employees are very knowledgable, accommodating, outgoing, friendly and go the extra mile - our guide on one excursion offered some wild cilantro to us and when my husband mentioned he didn't care for it the guide made sure to tell the lodge so that all of his future meals would be cilantro free. Unfortunately, I got the flu two days into our trip and the general manager Mara was kind enough to help me with her own herbals to relieve my discomfort - which it did. The extra care all the staff puts in is more than I've seen at any 4 star hotel in the U.S.
We took the snorkeling tour with long time resident Jackie and had the most wonderful time learning about wildlife along the riverbank along our way to the ocean. All of the guides are extremely knowledgable. Chan, who took us to Li Nim Punit, was very resourceful, informative, fun and made our excursion relaxed and enjoyable.
The food here is delicious. My favorite was breakfast with hummingbirds flitting by over a meal of fresh farm eggs and coffee from a French press.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Gorgeous hotel! The most beautiful location! Fantastic views! Delicious food. We could not have asked for a more perfect honeymoon. We were greeted with a cool, refreshing drink and smiles on everyone's face.... that kind of service lasted throughout our trip. We absolutely loved our tour guide, Vince and especially enjoyed Whizz and Ducky in the bar/restaurant. They were fun, friendly and full of knowledge about the local area. Our favorite trip was to Blue Creek. The cave tour was absoultey amazing! By far, the most unique and fun adventure we've ever been on. We would highly recommend this resort. Little tip- make sure you know what liquor is included in the package you purchased : )

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had an amazing stay at this luxurious, full service paradise. We watched monkeys playing in the canopy from our own screened in porch, took a "snorkel with the chef" cruise that would satisfy foodies and adventurers alike, had a massage at the spa, and enjoyed all the creature comforts and the exceptional staff. Locally grown, sophisticated, and delicious food. We also enjoyed exploring the Mayan culture and seeing the local sights. CHOCOLATE!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had a great stay. Great People. Mara runs the lodge with pride. The food was fantastic! Thanks Chad. High quality lodge and rooms. The local guides were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Overall, highly recommended. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11. The highest on the property.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our 7th time to Belize but first time to Punta Gorda, and Belcampo. My first impression was the same as my parting impression - excellence in every corner, from meals, resort, staff, excursions, birding, fishing, etc.

When I began researching the perfect place to celebrate a “big” birthday, I discovered Belcampo Lodge from the Travel and Leisure article spotlighting this incredible eco-agri-jungle-fly-fishing adventure lodge.

At first, I thought the reviewers on TripAdvisor were exaggerating - how could one lodge provide everything an adventurous couple or family could want in one location? Belcampo Lodge not only has, but has exceeded our expectations on every level.

It's hard to add any new descriptives to the lists already presented by the many eloquent reviews, but I'll do my best. Work has taken us all over the world, and we have experienced the gamut of 5-star resorts, hotels, and restaurants. I can truly say that Belcampo is the complete package. This lodge dazzled us with amazing on-site sourced organic gardens where the chef turned these hand-picked vegetables and herbs into incredible 5 star restaurant creations. Belcampo also raises their own chickens for consumption as well as for eggs. Every other meat or seafood comes from locally sourced and environmentally conscious Mennonite farms. Every meal is fresh with a beautiful presentation. I am a restaurant reviewer for our local online paper (including a stint as an Iron Chef Judge at local restaurants competitions), hence judging food is more than just a passion. I wish I could add something here that wasn't already said, but I'll just say that we were overwhelmed by the gourmet quality of every meal we ate at Belcampo!

The cabana we stayed in exceeded our every expectation. Tucked away in the canopy, beautiful Mexican Saltillo tile flowed into the marble bathroom with a floor to ceiling window privately peering into the jungle. You can see howler monkeys while taking a shower. We had 2 incredibly comfortable queen size beds, and our very large quarters continued onto a screened-in veranda. Every morning we were brought delicious French pressed coffee to drink on our screened-in veranda while awakening to an array of birds and monkeys.

Just want to mention at breakfast you are served on a white linen table cloth with fresh homemade granola with yogurt and a fruit plate for starters. On the back of the menu is a birding identification chart, complete with binoculars and a spotting scope on the breakfast veranda. We saw parrots, toucans, trogons, and collared aracaris every morning, all the while serenaded by the howlers. The menu includes almost every type of free range egg with house-cured bacon, along with many other options.

One morning after breakfast we took about 50 steps from the breakfast veranda to go birding with Chan in the courtyard area. An hour and a half later we added 36 new bird species to our “life list.” Chan kindly emailed us the complete list so we could have the documentation.

We were mostly interested in fly fishing, so many of the mornings we were out early and onto the flats in no time. Our guide knew every corner of the rivers and cayes for permit habitat and could put us directly on them. One permit should have been a photo on our wall, but hey, that's why it's called permit fishing, not permit “catching.” We did take the 90 minute boat ride to Sapodilla Cayes, which are amazingly beautiful and I highly recommend it. We caught so many bonefish it was incredible. We also caught snook and jumped quite a few tarpon in the Rio Grande river right below the lodge. We saw a huge manatee, agouti, freshwater crocs (far more afraid of you than you of them), many eagle rays, bat rays, trigger fish, and many more oceanic creatures.

We also did the Blue Creek cave expedition, complete with ruins and lunch with Vince at his home. This is a once in a life time experience, as some other reviewers have mentioned and I highly recommend this excursion. Vince is incredibly knowledgeable about the Mayan cultural history, the local flora and fauna, and everything we were interested in. “Lights out” in the Blue River cave is an experience not to be missed,

Finally, I would like to give as many accolades as possible to Mara J., general manager. This self-sustaining, environmentally conscious, professionally staffed, and just incredible, incredible resort would not be possible if it weren't for Mara J. She is visible every day making sure every guest is completely satisfied. An incredible chef in her own right, Mara is a visionary, a people person and a one-in-a-million general manager that, in my opinion, Belcampo is very lucky to have in their corner.

We loved all of the staff; I don't want to mention people by name because I don't want to miss anyone. They all attended to our every request without hesitation or questioning whether it was possible.

This is a-once-in-a-lifetime experience, yet cannot wait to come back with our entire extended family. This lodge affords every imaginable activity you can think of along with food that is outstanding and hospitality that is second-to –none. All I can say is go!

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous. We walked around the resort and looked at everyone. However, I loved being...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I found the reviews very helpful and echo all the wonderful comments made by other visitors to this spectacular property. I wanted to add, however, that we spent an amazing day on the water traveling the Rio Grande River out to the reef where we feasted on a freshly caught lunch. There are few days in life that are so wonderful. The staff was fabulous. We had a chef on board, the captain and tour guide dove for our lunch, and Mara was a gracious host. We learned a lot about the history of Belize and the natural life surrounding us, as we cruised and went snorkeling.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I cannot recommend Belcampo highly enough in terms of quality, attention to detail, wonderful staff and management and overall amazing facility. I recently spent a year in the Toledo district, working with a local clinic. During this time, I often retreated to Belcampo for a quiet morning on the porch if ever I felt the need to get away. Mara, the general manager, is extremely generous in offering affordable rates for meals and day packages for long-term volunteers who are working away from their homes and families, as well as for our students.

I was lucky enough to be able to become involved in some community/ staff wellness activities that Mara was trying to get started for the Belcampo staff. She takes a special interest in employee health and we were happy to partner with her. I found the entire staff to be an absolute pleasure to work with and made some lasting friendships, as well. By collaborating with Mara, we were even able to begin a very exciting partnership whereby the gentlemen who work in the Belcampo wood shop have begun to assist us by building beautiful and high-quality rehabilitation equipment that we would otherwise not be able to attain for the people we serve here in Belize.

When my year in Toledo was finished, it was it was extremely difficult to say goodbye to everyone at Belcampo and I sincerely look forward to coming back for a visit. I cannot say enough good things about the entire staff, our mutually enjoyable and beneficial collaborations together and the generosity and the true spirit of collaboration and partnership shown to our organization, you by Mara and everyone else. Many thanks!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Belcampo Lodge? Share your experiences!