This was our third trip to Belize--did some earlier birding trips to Chan Chich and DuPlooy's--both great for birding. This time, we took our 10 yr-old grandson to Lamanai and he loved it. Here are three recommendations:
1) Do the crocodile encounter. Eduardo, our guide, caught an 80 cm. endangered Murrelet croc with his bare hands (from the airboat). My grandson and I got to hold him, properly bound, and my grandson got to collect the data (weight, measurement, sex, etc.) What an experience for a 10 yr-old!
2) The howler monkeys came morning and evening in the trees right over our cabana. They are spectacular animals. And they do howl!
3) The jungle medicine and village lunch excursion (make your own tortillas and tamales) is also fun, espec for kids.
This is a fun place for kids. The lodge is built overlooking a large lagoon on the New River. The breeze cools things off daily. Food is excellent and staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. And the Mayan temples are very interesting and impressive as well.Grey-neck wood rails can be seen on the river, and there are trogons and toucans.
You get there by boat after a van ride from the airport. Be prepared--sunscreen if it is hot; raincoats if it is raining. They supply emergency ponchos but if it is raining you'll get wet. (no canopy on the boats) But heck, it's only water.
It gets a bit sticky at night when the breeze cools down, at least in late May as rainy season approaches. We added an extra fan in our cabana for extra comfort.
All in all a very nice trip, and our ten yr old will never forget it.
- Also Known As:
- Lamanai Outpost Hotel Orange Walk
- Lamanai Outpost Lodge Belize/Orange Walk