“This place is great... Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colibri House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Colibri House
You added Colibri House to your Saves list
Harbour Place, Placencia, Belize   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Placencia B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“This place is great... Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We loved this place. The location was perfect... right on the beach, and close enough to the action to walk in just a couple of minutes, but still far enough away that it wasn't noisy. You can hear the waves crashing down from the balcony, and can even take a nap in the hammocks out there. It's perfectly relaxing.

The owners are extremely friendly, and go above and beyond in their attempts to be helpful, and to make your stay enjoyable. Any concerns or questions we had, Stefano was on top of it immediately. The resident neighbors were friendly, and always greet us warmly when we saw them. One was even nice enough to offer us a ride home one night as he drove past us on the street (though we were heading out for a drink, so we didn't accept).

This is more of a vacation rental than a hotel. That's exactly what we were after, because it really made our stay feel more authentic. It felt more like a home away from home than a sterile hotel room. If you are after a pristine place where someone makes your bed and empties the trash every day, this probably isn't for you. But if you're interested in feeling like you have a summer home in Placencia... this is your place.

Room Tip: We used the 2nd/3rd floor apt. While I didn't see the 1st floor apt, I would definitely recomme...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ColibriHouseBelize, Owner at Colibri House, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Hi All! This is the first time I am answering to every Guest/Friend who have reviewed us in this Magic site called Tripadvisor. A Magic link that connect Rental Business, Travelers and Tourists of the whole Earth... Thank to All of you and to Tripadvisor our little business, the Colibri House has prospered for years being able to survive also in recent difficult times because of the terrible Global Economical meltdown... It has been taught to everybody but maybe all of us have reached to the end of that tunnel that badly hit many nice Families. I have always thought about all of you hoping that the nice people who have picked up our vacation rental to enjoy their holidays could make it as we have been able to make it until now. I am sincerely grateful to all of you... Now possibly all of us will have to fight again against new Economical Challenges plus the Global change of the weather, so weird and unpredictable here in Belize as in the rest of the World. But I am sure that all of us will be blessed and we will make it again!!! I have always thought that the Karma strongly linked to the Colibri House was good for us and for our Guests/Friends and I hope He helped you as He helped us... Just a thought after so many years (14...) I started this business with Nicoletta, when nobody here or at home in Italy could even think we could make it... I wanted to share it with All of you but now it is better if I will post it right the way!!!! If not I won't be so brave to do it!!!!!!!! ;o)

I wish you all the best, grazie infinite.... Ciao! Stefano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the upstairs apartment. I would give the room a five but the upstairs gets uncomfortably hot during the day. But who stays in thier room all day in Placencia? Either way I absolutely loved staying at the Colibri house. The best things about Colibri house is Stefano and staff. They were very accomodating without being overbarring or intrusive. I highly value cleanliness,safety and privacy all of which Colibri house provided. The room is decorated with a unique blends of local and international art and decor This gives the property a spirit that is hard to find in a guesthouse. It is located near the end of the village close to shops, bars and eateries. The view from the bedroom is amazing! Hammocks are available on the first level for lazy days and the cool breeze from the ocean is divine. Stefano goes out of his way to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. He responded to emails very quickly which made is easy to reserve a room and ground transportation. I highly recommend staying at Colibri perfect for solo traveler, excellent for couples and families.

• Stayed September 2013

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I decided to take a sort of last minute trip to Placencia and looked up to see the best places to stay. Colibri was very high on the list and I read all of the reviews about Stefano....and they were all right on! The house is very clean and really right on the beach. Stefano greeted me right away and spent over an hour with me talking about what to do in the Placencia, where to eat and then kept on checking in on me throughout the week as I was traveling by myself. Follow everything he says to do and who to go through. He knows the best of Placencia for sure!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Yuma, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My friend and I decided to take a guy's trip across Belize, with the last three days close to the village of Placencia. We needed a room with two beds to lay our weary heads after a long travel schedule. We arrive at Colibri House and we pleasantly surprised my a warm and wonderful gentleman (Stefano) who let us into our accomodation. It was perfect. Every morning I would run down to the sea on our own little beach area and hop in to start my day. It was within a short walking distance to the Barefoot Bar, local shops and restaurants. We had our vehicle so getting in and out for our trip up to Dangriga, Cockscomb, Hopkins, etc for our daily adventures was also easy. I am planning on coming back down in the winter with my wife and I am hoping that there will still be availability for that trip. Way to go Stefano !!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed by myself at Colibri House and loved it. Felt safe at all times. It`s just by the beach, near everything in the village.
Stefano is very helpful and nice, gave me a lot of tips of places to go, eat, go shopping. I would recommend Colibri House to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

St. George, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Colibri House was an unexpected delight. I found it on line however as I knew Placencia before as I stayed there I was pretty sure it would be ok. I arrived late afternoon / early eve, and was met by the most friendliest Italian host ever! He met me on site & the next day I had to ck out so I had a nice lunch with him & drove on to Cayo. He knows where all the good restaurants are so just ask him!

Room Tip: Confirm ahead & keep a lookout for the sign. If you get lost , the local gas station gives good...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Colibri house is hands down the best value, best location and most beautiful guest home in Placencia! I did a lot of research before booking, and I'm glad we chose to stay there.

The house was in a perfect location on the waterfront barely outside of town but close enough to walk to all bars and restaurants. We rented the upstairs apartment, which is a second floor living area with full kitchen and a third floor loft bedroom. The decks have amazing waterfront views. The decor is akin to a Balinese home with dark wood and plenty of personal decorative touches.

Stefano gives you detailed advice for dining and whatever else you may need during your stay, and has bikes for you to use to ride around town. We felt like we got a real feel on the town and it felt like home after just 4 nights.

Notes:
Be aware, there is no AC but if you want the lap of luxury and stiff, crowded tourist resorts then go to chabil mar or turtle inn. They are very far from town and isolated.
Bring bug spray with plenty of deet. You can't dine out without it. There are little no-see-ums everywhere. There are lots of dogs that enjoy barking and running around in the early morning so be aware of that. Also, bring any essentials you will need. Placencia is a peninsula a bit far from a big city and the grocery stores have Higher than average prices in my opinion.

And as for dining, check out every restaurant you can. They are all delicious and have great prices. Rumfish y vino was a favorite. Omar's and de tatch for breakfast. Barefoot is a great bar too. Mojitos at the shack were perfect for a midday cool off.

Stefano and Nicoletta have really succeeded in making colibri house the best option for travelers who want a real Placencia experience.

• Stayed August 2013

I wish you all the best, grazie infinite.... Ciao! Stefano

Been to Colibri House? Share your experiences!