“Our favorite spot in Placencia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colibri House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Colibri House
You added Colibri House to your Saves list
Harbour Place, Placencia, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 25 Placencia B&B and Inns
Wichita, Kansas
“Our favorite spot in Placencia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Colibri House a number of times over the past 6 years. It is close to town yet just far enough away to be peaceful. Easy walk to stores and restaurants. Its location provides for a nice quiet spot on the beach and lovely views from the porches. Both the house and the apartment have virtually everything you could need during your stay. It is very cozy, charming, comfortable and clean. Stefano and Nicoletta are very friendly and are always willing to accommodate. This is the perfect layed back place to stay in Placencia. We'll be back.
Sal and Chellie

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ColibriHouseBelize, Owner at Colibri House, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Hi All! This is the first time I am answering to every Guest/Friend who have reviewed us in this Magic site called Tripadvisor. A Magic link that connect Rental Business, Travelers and Tourists of the whole Earth... Thank to All of you and to Tripadvisor our little business, the Colibri House has prospered for years being able to survive also in recent difficult times because of the terrible Global Economical meltdown... It has been taught to everybody but maybe all of us have reached to the end of that tunnel that badly hit many nice Families. I have always thought about all of you hoping that the nice people who have picked up our vacation rental to enjoy their holidays could make it as we have been able to make it until now. I am sincerely grateful to all of you... Now possibly all of us will have to fight again against new Economical Challenges plus the Global change of the weather, so weird and unpredictable here in Belize as in the rest of the World. But I am sure that all of us will be blessed and we will make it again!!! I have always thought that the Karma strongly linked to the Colibri House was good for us and for our Guests/Friends and I hope He helped you as He helped us... Just a thought after so many years (14...) I started this business with Nicoletta, when nobody here or at home in Italy could even think we could make it... I wanted to share it with All of you but now it is better if I will post it right the way!!!! If not I won't be so brave to do it!!!!!!!! ;o)

I wish you all the best, grazie infinite.... Ciao! Stefano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was our second time at Colibri House. We stayed upstairs again and we just loved it once again. We had another couple with us this trip and they stayed over in the studio at Tito and Flavia's place so that worked out great. We can't say enough about how this place is just perfect for a layed back vacation with such close proximity to the village center. Having spent almost 3 week now in Placencia, we really got to know some of the locals very well. We wished we would have spent our entire trip here, but we had plans to go to the mountains,
One more thing, we got married while we were here. It was fantastic. we went out to Frigate Caye and we were married in the gazebo, Very romantic.

Ogdensburg, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Colibri House was a very nice place to stay. Everything was very clean and we felt quite at home there during our stay. Stefano and Nicoletta were great! They did their best to accommodate us during our stay there.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

When I saw Colibri House online, it looked like the kind of place my husband and I would really enjoy. I wasn't wrong. Everything about it was perfect. The kitchen was well equipped - better than most studio kitchens, for sure. The sleeping loft was so comfy. A nice, queen bed and some beautiful hardwood rafters (watch your head and if you have balance problems the ladder up might not be for you). Both levels had porches with gorgeous wrap around views. And the main porch has 2 hammocks! The bathroom is well equipped with good shower pressure and even a bidet. We were steps from a perfect beach on one side and the famous sidewalk on the other. Bikes were available with the home and our host - Stephano - made sure we were comfortable and well informed in every way to enjoy the best Placencia has to offer. And yes, we were just far enough from the "middle of everything" that we felt quiet and peaceful there. A bonus for our daughter who also stayed nearby thanks to some last minute work on Stephano's part, was that we had some cute cats who liked to hang out around our walkway and porch. Placencia itself as a fun place to visit. Lots of good local bars and restaurants and lots to do on land and the water. We would recommend Colibri House highly to those looking for charming luxury, not the polished resort experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed in three properties in Placencia all managed by Stefano. He is very thoughtful and attends to all my needs for comfort and enjoyment of the properties. He even made sure that the borrowed bicycle tires were filled with air to really enjoy getting around Placencia. Everything is clean and neat. Keeping in mind that properties near the water are always subject to damaging sea air, they do a great job of maintaining everything as much as possible.

Room Tip: I stayed in the top floor, very nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

All the reviews about Stefano and Nicoletta are correct. They are VERY friendly and helpful. Stefano gives you an overview of the property and Placencia when you arrive (including advice on where to eat). He was also able to give my husband the name of a good fly fishing guide (Arthur Vernon - who was excellent). Nicoletta is there every day if you need anything. Nicoletta is taking care of five cats that hang out at Colibri house (she had them fixed and feeds them). I`m sure if you ignore them they will ignore you, but if you feed them fish and shrimp like we did you may need to buy some cat food so you can keep feeding them every night! We loved being greeted by our 3 or 4 furry friends every night (especially the very friendly black and white one). Made us miss our own pets less. 2 bikes are provided which, while not fancy, allow you to get around town or explore north of the town. We rode the 7+ miles to Maya Beach one day and really enjoyed it. Colibri house is located at the north end of the sidewalk so it is away from the noise of the bars (although I think they all close at midnight) but close enough to walk to everything. We stayed in the upstairs suite. The kitchen is well equipped, the bed comfortable, and the TWO decks are awesome (beautiful views). Spent a lot of time in the very comfortable hammocks. The stairs (ladder) to the bed in the loft may be difficult for some people, especially if you have a lot of luggage or get up often in the night. But we loved it, especially since it gives you the second balcony with a great breeze. The house also has a "smart phone" that you can put money on at the grocery store so you don't have to bring a cell phone for local calls if you don't want to. The beach. People have to understand what the beach in Belize is like. It is NOT like the Mexican Riviera. But it is beautiful and is practically empty. NO crowds. The water in front of Colibri house was perfect for swimming while we were there (mid-January). Most of the bottom is sandy with just a little seagrass. Of course sandy bottom means that it is not good for snorkeling. However, when we first got there the beach was COVERED with plastic garbage that had washed in with the tide. The garbage was not just in front of Colibri House, but along the entire beach to the end of the Peninsula. It was a bit better in front of some of the hotels (like Sea Spray). Luckily, on our second day workers started started cleaning the beach and in about 3 days had cleared away all the plastic garbage along the entire beach to the south (unfortunately not to the north). I do not know how long it will take to accumulate again. This is something that the government (local or national) should really pay attention to. While it is not their fault that everyone else's garbage washes up on their shores, if they want to continue to attract tourists they are going to have to clean it up. Once the beach was cleaned it was spectacular. If people want the white beaches of the Mexican Riviera they should go further north to Maya Beach. However when we were there it was practically deserted and we prefer to have the restaurants and grocery stores that are available in the village. The only complaint I have about Colibri House (and this is not Stefano or Nicoletta's fault) is the barking dogs. On most mornings (not all) the roaming dogs would start to bark at about 3 or 4 in the morning. This is probably true in many neighbourhoods in the village. While I tried to get us a place away from the noise of restaurants and bars I never thought about dogs! If you are a light sleeper I would bring ear plugs just in case. Overall Colibri House is perfect for a laid-back vacation and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you want the standard Hilton experience, go to Hawaii. But if you want a unique, intimate experience, unlike any other, go to Belize. Or more specifically, to the Colibri House in Placencia. All shops, dining and trips to the outer barrier reef and only footsteps away, along the golden sandy beaches that surround this lovely ocean view getaway.

It's a great place to just relax with your friends and family.

Enjoy the breeze from your backdoor view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Much more affordable than renting a room in a hotel. You can sleep 4. So save the money and gain som...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family