“THE BEST Place in Placencia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colibri House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Colibri House
You added Colibri House to your Saves list
Harbour Place, Placencia, Belize   |
Ranked #2 of 25 Placencia B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
hawaii
“THE BEST Place in Placencia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

OMG, we love this place. We were there during the last week of May and had the beach to all by ourselves... we are from Hawaii so not many beaches impress us but Placencia is a GEM. AND Colibri House is THE BEST in Placencia hands down. First impression is the lasting impression, right? Stefano and Nicoletta (his business partner) are among the most friendly people around. Stefano took his time to go over the local map with us to explain the local establishments... good, bad, ugly, etc. We even got 15% discount on our dive trip because of him. This clean and beautiful place is located right on the beach but away tourists. Grazie Stefano and Nicoletta for your hospitality and looking forwarding to going back to Placencia again! Hope all is WELL!

Room Tip: I say 5 stars for Swimming Pool and Fitness Center because there is beautiful beach better than any...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ColibriHouseBelize, Owner at Colibri House, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Hi All! This is the first time I am answering to every Guest/Friend who have reviewed us in this Magic site called Tripadvisor. A Magic link that connect Rental Business, Travelers and Tourists of the whole Earth... Thank to All of you and to Tripadvisor our little business, the Colibri House has prospered for years being able to survive also in recent difficult times because of the terrible Global Economical meltdown... It has been taught to everybody but maybe all of us have reached to the end of that tunnel that badly hit many nice Families. I have always thought about all of you hoping that the nice people who have picked up our vacation rental to enjoy their holidays could make it as we have been able to make it until now. I am sincerely grateful to all of you... Now possibly all of us will have to fight again against new Economical Challenges plus the Global change of the weather, so weird and unpredictable here in Belize as in the rest of the World. But I am sure that all of us will be blessed and we will make it again!!! I have always thought that the Karma strongly linked to the Colibri House was good for us and for our Guests/Friends and I hope He helped you as He helped us... Just a thought after so many years (14...) I started this business with Nicoletta, when nobody here or at home in Italy could even think we could make it... I wanted to share it with All of you but now it is better if I will post it right the way!!!! If not I won't be so brave to do it!!!!!!!! ;o)

I wish you all the best, grazie infinite.... Ciao! Stefano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I took my wife to Placencia to go swim with whale sharks. As I was searching for places, I knew that we did not want to get a hotel. I wanted something that was going to be a nice quiet get away. Once I saw Colibri House online, I knew it was the one. Stefano and Nicoletta were more than helpful and they really welcomed us to their place. They even had bikes for us to ride to get around the strip and hammocks to lay on to enjoy the view. We highly recommend to stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Venice, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed for nearly three weeks at Colibri House and loved it. I wanted someplace a little way outside the village but still easy walking distance. There's also a market and bank right around the corner. Stefano and Nicoletta are lovely and helpful and you couldn't wish for a better view of the sea. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: There is an upstairs and downstairs unit. I stayed in both and was happy. Of course, the upstairs ha...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Pocatello, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Colbri House in February of 2011. I am embarrassed that I did not get around to writing this review until just now! In reading through the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was certain that the House would be a perfect fit for what my husband and I were looking for. However, when I contacted Stefano to book the trip and he requested a money order be sent to him with the full amount, I will admit I was a bit wary. Sending a money order to an unknown person in a foreign country sort of goes against everything you are taught here in the US! So for those of you paranoid folks like me, don’t worry, it’s all good!

In my communication with Stefano he noted that when we arrived there would be a similar looking house—so glad he did, as when you get close to the real house, you do go by another round house… that doesn’t look so great! So, don’t worry… keep going! Stefano was waiting for us when we arrived; he is a kind, energetic man who was enormously helpful in pointing out all the “must sees” of the area, good restaurants, shops etc. During our trip, it was unseasonably rainy and although this was completely out of his control, Stefano was so apologetic. He even helped us find a place to stay for our last night in Placencia since the Colibri House had been already been booked. He is just a really good person. He and Nicoletta (also a fantastic person) stopped by periodically during our almost two week stay to make sure everything was going well. However, they came by just the right amount—they were never intrusive or annoying.

The house itself is literally on the beach, sand and all… right in front of the door! There are a couple of houses quite close to the house, but the way it is situated makes it feel very isolated. There is a market within walking distance which was great as we could stalk up on snacks and of course rum/beer etc for our beach lounging.

We stayed in the bottom studio, which worked great for us. It was cozy. Nothing super fancy, but you should hopefully be spending most of your time on the beach or out exploring. It was very clean… and that was the most important thing for me.

We really enjoyed our stay… we actually ended up having our first child just about 9 months after our stay, so it obviously was a great time for us! We hope to come back with our son soon!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Colibri is right on Placencia beach, dotted by palms all the way to the end of the peninsula. But the location is far enough from the beach bars & clubs, which makes it a quieter & safer place by night. The suite is all wooden, on two floors, with a small terrace. You can lay on the beach right in front, or chill in your hammoc..you pick it! If you are up for a walk, the village is no more than a 10-minute walk or a short ride by bike.
Interiors are super fine and surprisingly you may find ancient Tibetan, Balinese and Italian furniture...as well as some hints of modern India. Having a chat with the owner, Stefano, about the way he made up this place is so interesting... Apparently Francis Ford Coppola bought copies of this ancient Balinese sofa-bed to furnish the Turtle Inn itself!
The 3-floor cottage is parted in 1 studio & apts. The apt on the second floor has also a loft & a veranda with a breathtaking view :)

Colibri is a fine choice, but unfortunately when it was full when I was there, so Stefano who also manages other houses in the neighborhood, gave me a few options. I eventually opted for the superlovely Silver Leaf Cabana, right opposite, on the lagoon side - which I loved anyway.

Either way, be reassured, management is done at state of art & you do get quality for your peaceful stay in Placencia. Talking from my experience (april 2012), you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I was fortunate to have stayed four nights at Nicoletta's and Stefano's Colibri House just two weeks ago. I reside in the states and live a very hectic life at home so landing here for the first 4 nights of my trip was such a blessing! I occupied the studio on the main floor and was happy I checked myself into this little haven. The place is exactly as you see in the pictures. You're literally ON the beach. While it was HOT HOT HOT while I was there, they provided 3 fans and was perfectly fine without a/c. The house is made of gorgeous Belizian woods and tastefully decorated...with a little taste if Italy throughout. The shower is a little tricky in that pressure is really lame late in the evening and water trickles out but was fine the rest of the day(nothing to do with the inn keepers). Both Nicoletta and Stefano dropped by daily and were never intrusive, but made sure that I was happy with my stay. Great recommnedations for dining etc! Omar's was my favorite place in town...$6 for curry snapper, rice, beans and salad...omg, I'm getting hungry!

People in Placencia are happy to help and friendly though there were moments when being alone felt strange so be aware if you go out late at night as I did. I was offered grass several times, but if that's the worst that happens being a single man and traveling alone, I'm okay! I definitely have a hippy vibe, so I'm never surprised...Hahaha. I flew from Belize City for $116 and took bus back for $10...your choice but I think next time I'd stick with the bus...nice way to meet Belizians who were delightful with me and see the country!

I miss Colibri already. I'm rested, renewed and ready.

Mille Grazie Stefano and Nicoletta!!!!!!

Room Tip: I saw the upstairs unit as well and it's beautiful and warm with gorgeous views, but I still pre...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

santa cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

All in all a perfect place to spend a few days relaxing. The upstairs ladder to the loft is a bit difficult to negotiate at night so make sure to turn on the nightlight. Other wise all was good and the bikes to use to get around were a welcome addition. We rode to Seine Bright and beyond and found that the exercise and being able to explore really made it very enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

I wish you all the best, grazie infinite.... Ciao! Stefano

Been to Colibri House? Share your experiences!