Just returned from our stay in Belize - wow! We had read the reviews and thought Chabil Mar sounded too good to be true - but it was perfect. We traveled with 2 families which included 5 teenagers between 16 and 21 (1 girl and 4 boys) and we all had a blast. The activities were just right: Monkey River Tour with Percy (not to be missed: saw and heard howler monkeys, crocodiles, and manatees and even ate termites!), fishing with Ivan (the cook at Chabil Mar grilled some of our catch - baracuda and mackerel - right then and there and we shared it with other guests who were on the dock and beach - better than any fish I've ever had, and served beautifully!), snorkeling and scuba diving. We biked, walked, kayaked and relaxed. We were there only 4 days and would have loved several more but there was no room. We spent our last 3 days in Peten, Guatemala (near the ancient Mayan excavated city of Tikal) which was equally wonderful but quite different. Ideally, we would have visited Guatemala first and then relaxed at CM but no villas were available for us to arrange our trip in that order.
Placencia was great - small yet big enough to spend several hours walking around, visiting stores and restaurants (including Tutti Frutti for delicious gelato). Very casual and laid back and very authentic - just like the people.
Several suggestions, bring cash since there are few ATM's and many places take cash only. Also, we got quite bitten by sand flies and, on our last day, found repellent called "Sand Fly Bye Bye" at the pharmacy above Wallins Market. Don't know if it works but wish we had tried it.
The villas were much nicer than I imagined - the photos do not do it justice. We did not realize there is no restaurant but there is a main kitchen from which you can order almost anything (there is a menu) at any time. They make it and bring it you - to your villa, the pool, the beach, the palapa on the pier or the outdoor dining areas.There also is a kitchen in each villa. And the staff could not have been better - friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and always available - Natalie, Eleanor, Amin, Ricardo and Chris, and everyone else, thank you. We felt pampered and yet left alone. All in all, a fabulous stay in a wonderful place.
- Also Known As:
- Chabil Mar Hotel Placencia
- Chabil Mar Hotel
- Chabil Mar Placencia
- Chabil Mar Belize/Placencia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chabil Mar is the Guest Exclusive Resort of Placencia, Belize. All Caribbean Front Villas and the closest full service resort to the Village of Placencia. Restaurant and Bar, two infinity beach-side pools, private beach and pier, on-site concierge services to include tour and adventure reservations. Villas are approximately 1000 square feet of living space, include a personal veranda. Al fresco dining throught the resort. A stroll along the beach, bicycle, kayak or golf cart provides easy, at your leisure access, to all Village activities. Specialize in Destination Weddings and Honeymoons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Chabil Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.