“Chabil Mar, can we go back?” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
CLICK HERE 4 SPECIALS
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Detroit
“Chabil Mar, can we go back?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We arrived at the villas tired and confused.
From then forward, we were pampered and encouraged to enjoy the local attractions

Near the town of Placencia, we could bicycle or take golf carts.
The staff was great at anticipating needs, but strongly encouraged us to travel the country side which could look intimidating at times.

lovely place, well appointed ...and great staff..
they made special arrangements for late ck out on xmas, which made the holiday easy and fun!

• Liked — view, quality furnishings,
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

What a wonderful place. Very accommodating. Close to town. Room service was good and would bring your food to you at any location on the property, eat on the pier at night…it’s great. Golf carts available, though a bit expensive at $10.00 an hour. It was nice to have kayaks available. Property was immaculately maintained and staff was super friendly and helpful. Tell Robert and Eleanor hello!

• Liked — Over all....most everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LeaLea66
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

As the days passed on this year's holiday season, I found myself reflecting on my wonderful 15 year wedding anniversary trip to Belize last year. I have never written a review of a trip before, but the more I thought about our anniversary vacation in Placencia, the more I wished I could be there again this year. I call this our honeymoon because when we were married, 15 years ago, we never got the opportunity to have a honeymoon trip. Well, we did it last year and we were so happy with our choices!

We stayed for a week at Chabil Mar Villas and just fell in love with it from the moment we walked onto the property. We were made to feel so welcome when we arrived by the staff and the grounds were so lush with tropical foliage and incredible sea views, my breathe was taken away. They also greeted us by having a bouquet of flowers and a tropical drink awaiting in our Villa. Wow. The Villa was beautifully appointed and spacious and new. We could relax lying on the sofa, prepare our own drink or dinner. Yes, we cooked for ourselves. We thought it was romantic. The kitchen was spacious and nicely decorated, so we took advantage of it.

The excellent service continued all week. Dining and drinks on the pier, on the beach, by the pool. They were always ready to take care of us. Anything we asked for was taken care of immediately. Gosh, what great memories I have! They booked all of our trips for us and we really liked all of the guides they selected. The village was so nice. It was a bit of a culture shock initially, but we quickly learned that we were welcome to join in with the locals, and that we did, every chance we got. Since Chabil Mar is located right at the village we just walked or took a golf cart to the restaurants, markets and bars. Everyone was so friendly. We wanted an adventure, along with romance, and we got it.

We also decided to experience the jungle life for a couple of days and they arranged for us to stay at the beautiful Chaa Creek resort in San Ignacio. The transportation to and from both resorts was arranged by the Chabil Mar staff. We loved Chaa Creek too. What a great honeymoon suite we had there.

Geez, I wish we were going back this year too. Anyway, it couldn't have been a better anniversary for us.

• Liked — Beautiful appointments and spacious. Very comfortable.
  • Disliked — On site beach bar was not right on the beach.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

We had such a wonderful 8 days at the Chabil Mar Villas, I have to write a review about our trip. I never write reviews, but I feel compelled to compliment the resort. Instead of boring a reader with a run-down of our daily activities, I will simply state that service was fantastic. Whatever you want, they will get for you. For example, we had a lobster lunch on the dock, breakfast on the veranda, massages, and wine for the sunset. Excusions were all set-up as well as reservations. We rented a catamaran and took a Monkey River Jungle tour (highly recommend with Percy). Not knowing a lot about the area (Placencia), it was nice to have the use of a golf cart to get to town (which is the only resort in the area that does this) to explore. We were told that there was 80% occupancy while we were there, but we felt like we had the place to ourselves. Although Chabil Mar wasn't All-inclusive, the service and convenience was on par or better. We have stayed at Sandals and others (cost is comparable), but we really felt special here. Another thing that we have tried to describe to people about the area and our trip was that it was a bit of a culture shock. It took about a day to slow down from our very high paced life and adjust to the relaxing pace of Placencia. It was in many ways a cultural experience as well. Because there are no high-rise resorts or very "touristy" areas, you really feel you are in a remote section of the world (especially during the Monkey River Jungle tour). It was very refreshing.

• Liked — service and comfort
  • Disliked — smell from development under construction across the street
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

Belize is AMAZING, first of all. I wanted to stay somewhere that was close to the rainforests, the beaches and comforts that aren't "roughing it". I backpacked across Europe when I was younger, but now I enjoy the pleasures of air conditioning and beautiful pools overlooking the Caribbean. I found all of this at Chabil Mar Villas, and while they serve great food there, they encouraged me to explore the village of Placencia. The locals are friendly, there are two incredible restaurants ( La Dolce Vita, be sure to say hello to Simone, and The French Connection, owed by the very kind Anna and Marcus). I had wonderful meals at both. I was told by my host that The French Connection recently won "Best Meal in Belize" by Conde Nast Traveler. My overall stay was very pleasant, and I am glad I was close enough to the Village to walk and experience all it had to offer. There are many nice places to stay in Placencia, but I think Chabil Mar is the best. Location, price, friendliness...all met my expectations. Thank you for taking time to read my review, and enjoy your stay.

Stayed November 2007
Skippack, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

Let me start out by saying that this review may be a little tainted as we were the only couple at the resort....you heard me, the only people there. So....we had a wonderfully relaxing time.

Chabil Mar is a beautiful resort with clean, spacious accommodations. Unfortunately, the honeymoon couple before us had done something to the plumbing and the honeymoon suite was not available to us. However, we had suite 10 which was a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo directly located on the beach. We were literally steps from the beach and the pool.

The pools were wonderful. They were both very clean and beautifully tiled. We spent every day swimming in the larger pool at least one.

The staff at Chabil Mar is constantly working on the condos and therefore the grounds are kept spotless. We continually commented on how clean the resort was and that it was due to the hard work of the grounds staff.

Speaking of staff...they were all wonderful. They were friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. Natalie and Althea were always willing to answer a question or book an excursion for us. Jesus and Daney's food and drink service were excellent. They also went above and beyond by entertaining our questions about local culture etc..

The food was very good. There were a few standouts such as the seafood chowder (my husband ate this almost every day), the grilled lobster tail (huge and inexpensive), fryjacks (loved them) and their homemade salsa. The only suggestion I would have for Chabil Mar is to add specials onto their meal list to give a little variety.

The beach was clean and remained that way thanks to a groundskeeper that raked it every night. The ocean did have sea grass in it, but that didn’t stop us from going in a few times. Besides...the pool was only a few steps away. We could see and hear the ocean while being in the pool.

Our favorite place to be on the resort...the dock. There was so much sea life out there and all you had to do was sit back and enjoy the view. We saw many kinds of fish, a barracuda, eagle ray and a dolphin.

We visited two other resorts in Placencia which are both very highly rated. I can tell you that Chabil Mar was better then both of them.

Chabil Mar is luxury through and through. It gave us the option to be spoiled or to delve into the local culture. This is exactly what we wanted in a honeymoon.

• Liked — service, beautiful villas, pools
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

We recently went to Chabil Mar Villas in Placencia, Belize, C.A. and spent 7 days here - I only wish it would have been longer! It's going to be hard to write in words how much of an amazing time we had, but I will try! I would first off like to tell you that Placencia is a top choice to go when visiting Belize. This part of the country is very rural, beautiful, untouched and the people here are wonderful!!

When we arrived to Placencia (after riding in a small little plane that only carried about 15), Jesus was there in a golf cart to pick us up. The airport is only about a mile or two from Chabil and we got there in no time. Upon arrival, Elvina (concierge/front desk) greeted us with delight! She personally took us to our gorgeous honeymoon suite - which, let me tell you that the web site doesn't even do it justice - we had champagne waiting for us, flower petals all over the bed. There is a full kitchen with everything you need with granite countertops and everything. It was beautiful. To top it off we were literally only footsteps away from the sandy beach. The landscaping is absolutely beautiful there. After we got settled in and Elvina finished explaining things to us, we immediately wanted to check out the small town of Placencia - which you MUST go to if you are here - the culture is so different than the U.S., but it helps you become more cultured.

Golf cart or bike is the mean of transportation in Placencia (but it's a luxury and Chabil Mar is the only hotel that has them - golf carts), so we hopped on a golf cart and headed into town. We were there during slow season, but that didn't stop us from doing anything! The town was so unique - a lot of sand everywhere; the main street sidewalk is so unique. Our first stop was the Pickled Parrot which was in town and we had to have the famous Parrot Piss drink - which to it's name was true!! So strong with the best Belizean rum! We then went to pick up groceries at Walen's grocery store. So small, but also unique. We had dinner at the Purple Space Monkey which is another place to try out. After dinner that night, we got back to the hotel and were happy to see that there was a security guard on site. The next day we had breakfast on the veranda and the day was spent hanging out by the pool where Jesus served us drinks most of the day and we cooled off with that hot Belizean sun at our backs. One thing great about Chabil Mar Villas is that the staff is impeccable - they never miss a beat and everyone on the grounds knows your name. That night we even got a phone call from the front desk to see if we were eating in or out. So courteous!! There are many places I would recommend eating and the hotel is one of them - the food is excellent.

Another thing I need to say about this staff is they do EVERYTHING for you - and I mean that. Anything you need, they do it. We came to Belize to dive and we just called the front desk and they set it up for us with a local dive shop - dropped us off, gave us towels (and the best thing is that you can bill that to your room). We wanted to go on the Monkey River tour with a specific guide and they set that up to and put water in a cooler for us and provided us with towels - the Monkey River tour is a MUST do - you go to Monkey River by boat and tour the jungle (very uniue experience) - the boat picks you up right at the Chabil dock - this is also billed to your room.

Our entire stay was awesome and I can't say enough for the staff of Chabil and the attention we got while we were there. Special notes to Natalie, Elvina, Jesus and Emerson (he was awesome too!!).

Places I would say not to miss if you are going: Pickled Parrot (bar and restaurant/local dart tournament on Thursdays for the locals and guests), De Tach (restaurant), Purple Space Monkey (restaurant), the Co Op (this is where they get fresh seafood in daily and I would highly recommend getting fresh lobster tails and cooking them in your room at Chabil - they all have kitches in the rooms), the buffet at Robert's Cove on Saturdays and they have live music (but don't recommend staying there - it's not close to the village and they fail to tell you that), any of the local bakeries (these are run out of people's homes and you just go up to there door!!), Cozy Corner (restaurant). One thing I would suggest in town is that find a local carver if you are looking for a special carving. We found a man named Evan (pronounced Evonne) who was carving next to his house and we asked him to make us one (he made us three unique pieces). Those were selling for $80 U.S. dollars and we only paid $40 - they were worth it! Also, try to get a massage in your hotel room. The did mine and my husbands at the same time. Try to have a meal out on the dock at Chabil Mar - they will deliver food and drinks anywhere on the property - literally.

One thing I will mention is the beaches here aren't what you would expect - there is a ton of sea grass and you don't really get into the water. The pictures I am providing is from our scuba trip which is 20 miles off of the peninsula in the middle of the ocean. Other than that, we could not have asked for a better trip or honeymoon (except for the Hurricane Dean scare - we were the second to last flight to get out of the country!). We had a blast, enjoyed Chabil Mar - we will be back, I only hope that the town has not changed by then. Make sure you tip the staff - they are so well deserved. Make sure you go into town and soak everything in. It's a VERY safe town - you may get some local little kids hopping on your golf cart, but they don't have that luxury, so give them a lift. Most people living in town don't even have electricity.

I hope this helps fellow readers get a take on Chabil Mar and Placencia. I know it's long, but I wanted everyone to know the details of this place!

It's a wonderful place that made our honeymoon feel like Heaven!

Stayed August 2007

Been to Chabil Mar? Share your experiences!