“Little above average value for the average village life.” 3 of 5 stars

$50 off room rate
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“Little above average value for the average village life.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Placencia is for those who are looking for the 'village' life on Belize.

We had the garden view - european which was pretty much that. A double bed and a twin bed in the same room with a view of the outside garden and parking lot. The bed linens were very unpleasant and looked handmade 10 years ago. The bathroom was very modest as well. I assumed there was no hot water but i didnt know how to properly change it However, it was surprising to know that the cable TV had more channels than in the US including HBO & Showtime.

The pool area is decent size with the beach literally 10 steps away. The beach water has a lot of seaweed on the shore but pretty clean once you venture further out.

The restaurant is a large hut type building near the pool. The food is decent. I highly recommend the lobster paella if its the day's special. The other menu items are ok taste. Price wise, all items are listed in BZE dollars and a little bit more expensive than relative dishes in the states. There is a tax and service charge that is included on all tabs. The service charge is split thru out all the staff and an additional tip is optional for your direct server. The restaurant, like all others closes, at 9pm so food options after this are null. I highly recommend: 1) purchasing duty free liqs at the BZE airport as the prices are very cheap and 2) a local grocery for snacks, water and drink mixers. If you plan to eat after 9, try getting a room with an oven so you can buy items to eat for cheap and on your own time.

The hotel offers free bikes which could be used to travel to other hotels (15 mins) and "town" (30 mins). There is also golf carts available.

Overall, the hotel has a very peaceful setting and not a lot of traffic or activity, with average food.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were part of a larger dive group. The hotel was great, rooms clean and attractive, the drinks and food were suburb. The staff were all very accommodating to our requests. Highly recommend this facility.

Stayed June 2013
Meridian, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Placencia was the second stop on our week in Belize, and it was exactly what we needed. After 4 days of non stop activities (hiking, swimming, kayaking, etc.), we were ready to hang out on the beach! The beach was very nice, though different from what many in America might be expecting. It is small and not exactly great for swimming (lots of sea grass I suppose it is called?), but perfect for relaxing. I couldn't get over how beautiful it was! If you want to swim, their pool is very nice.

The restaurant on site was wonderful! Wonderful food for amazing prices. I wrote a review of it on its own TA page, so look for more details there. But I did want to point it out here as it is such an asset to the Resort. Especially since Laru Beya isn't exactly in town.

I was under the impression that Laru Beya was a little closer to Placencia. I expected we would be able to walk there, but it is a good 4 miles with no side walks or even a good shoulder to speak of. Taxis are an option, but for $20 round trip we were just as happy to eat at The Quarterdeck at the Resort. We did go into Placencia to spend the day, which was nice. We went on a Sunday, and it was a little bit dead. But it is a very cute town! It has the benefits of being in a tourism area (lots of good food, some shops), but not overly touristy like I've heard about San Pedro, for example. I really felt like we got to see how a town in Belize really is, not how tourists want to see it. (Side note: We also went to Seine Bight, which is within walking distance. There is a very cute artist's gallery there, but not much else. There was a restaurant that looked promising, but we never made it back there. It is another great example of Belize as Belize. It was dirty--lots of trash on the ground--but a fun trip still. The little girls coming home from school followed us around and waved the whole time. They were adorable!)

The rooms are fine. We had just left another rustic, eco resort, so we really appreciated the fantastic air conditioner we had been missing for 4 days! The wireless also operated well. We had a Garden View room. It was small, but had everything we needed. We have gotten rooms before that included a balcony or view of the ocean, but we rarely use them. Would have it been nice? Yes, but for the money I don't think it was really worth it. I would much rather spend my vacation time relaxing on the beach, not looking at it from my room!

We did have some issues with the room. It was connected to another room by a door that was locked. I believe they can be rented together. Our neighbors were incredibly loud at all times of the day. I swear they never slept. We had 4 different people knock on our door between 6:00 am and 6:30 am looking for Andy...who definitely wasn't with us! I think they were all from this room. In fairness to the resort, we never complained to them. Just be aware that if you have rowdy neighbors, you will know it!

All in all, we had a fantastic time! We were looking for a place to relax and just enjoy our last few days in Belize. If you are looking for the same, this is a great spot!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My partner and I stayed here at the end of May. We had emailed asking for an upgrade for half if our stay, because if our budget, when we arrived they put us in an oceanfront suite for the full stay which was great! Very spacious and clean, hammock was great. The only negative we had was there was an adjoining door to the garden view room behind us, not normally a problem but the doors are only internal, so we could hear a very noisy couple of women next door, fortunately they left after 2 days.
The staff were really lovely, very friendly and helped us sort what we needed.
Location was great too, by the beach, 5 mins from the airport and about 10 to placencia ($US10 each way). Placencia was so great, we went to San Pedro after and wished we could have stayed here longer instead!
Just to note if you're planning on diving I recommend Avadon divers and Seahorse divers, definitely not Splash!

• Stayed May 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I first visited Placencia in September 2012 and fell in love. Laru Beya was extremely accomidating to us. We had an ocean front room looking out onto the beach and the scenery was gorgeous. Rooms were always clean and the restaurant was very cozy and peaceful if you just wanted to stay in for the night. Great atmosphere! We are returning to Placencia in June 2013 and will be staying at the Laru Beya and looking forward to our return. Tim and the rest of the staff is great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Staying a this resort was probably the best part of our catamaran trip in Placencia; we stayed 2 nights before and 1 night after. Stayed in the ocean view suite and just loved the hammocks and swings on the porch. The beach and porch were just steps away with small "cats" available for sailing. The grounds are beautifully kept and we enjoyed catching glimpses of the resort iguanas.

Our rooms were comfortable and clean with complete kitchens. For a resort, the mattresses were terriffic; not saggy, to soft or too hard.

Staff was the best; they were right there to pick us up at the airport and take us back when it was time to go. The restaurant food is quite good and fresh; try their mojitos! We wished we had stayed longer.

Room Tip: These are obviously timeshares. We enjoyed the beach front suites - king bed. Also, the Moorings i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

First time trip to Belize. The travel gods were smiling on me when I chose Laru Beya at random from the many resorts available in Placencia. The staff were exceedingly pleasant and accommodating. The manager/owner of the resort went out of his way to make sure my stay was hassle free and that I had everything I needed.

Room was simple bed/bath combo. Ample space for me flying solo but the room had a double/queen plus a single. Could be a bit cozy with three (or 2 & 1/2) people in the room. That said, the room was very clean and serviced daily. Small TV and not very good reception but then I wasn't there to sit in my room and watch TV all day. Free Wifi can't be beat. Reception perfect, never missed a beat for my whole stay.

The on-premise restaurant is beautifully situated. While the food is fresh and of good variety, it could do with a little improvement in both flavor and presentation. Prices are quite reasonable and the staff are very courteous and efficient.

The entire resort is very clean and well maintained. Will definitely be staying there again and recommending my friends do the same.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Laru Beya Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!