“Romantic Vacation in Placencia!” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Placencia Hotel and Residences to your Saves list
The Placencia Hotel and Residences
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Placencia Village, Placencia 00000, Belize   |
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
“Romantic Vacation in Placencia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I'm a backpacker at heart so I usually stay in hostels and cheaper accommodation. I went on vacation with my boyfriend of 5 months to Belize and we decided at the end of the week to treat ourselves to some luxury. I've been to Belize 3 times and finding nice accommodation for a good price is hard to find, especially on the islands!
Once we came to Placencia the prices for hotel rooms gave you a lot more bang for your buck! We saw The Placencia Hotel in a magazine and decided to check it out online. It's a quiet resort with plantation style buildings surrounding the pool area and provides beach front access and a wonderful dock restaurant for eating, dancing and watching the sunset!
The service, food, pool bar and overall atmosphere was very relaxing, fun and didn't feel too uptight. We made so many friends at the pool. Older couples, younger couples, single friends and families. The rooms are clean, have a/c, hot water, cable tv and once again the rooms are at a decent price. $170 per night for a Junior Suite at the time we went! (1st week of May 2012)

The only downside I can think of is that the tours that are offered through the hotel are a little more expensive than you would pay for the same tour that's in town. In the village 20min away a Jungle River tour cost $60US per person and the hotel was offering $120pp for the same tour. Maybe they provide more but I'm sure there's an increase just because it's a nice hotel. Other than that, they provide great tours to snorkel, dive, whale watch, visit ruins etc...

Renting a car is a good idea since the hotel is about 20min from the actual town/village of Placencia and you might want to walk around there during the day to try some local food or party at Barefoot bar! (The best bar in town) Live reggae music all the time!

I would definitely recommend staying at The Placencia Hotel and would stay here again the next time I visit beautiful Belize! It was romantic, adventurous, clean and fun!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
I would like to thank the couple for taking out a little of their time to write about thier experience here at our hotel. We are very much pleased that you had a relaxing vacation. You really describe what it feels like to be here.

I would like to make a small correction to your downside, the hotel charges $108.00 for the Monkey River Tour. The price includes 12.5% sales tax. We are 13 miles further away than the local Tour Shops in the village. They charge an average of about $70.00.

I am happy you got to know the Barefoot bar it is very active. Again thank you for considering us romantic an adventurous.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This trip is on our top 2 trips so far! My husband and I travel every year and have been to many places and countries ( I have not missed a year of traveling since I was 2 and I am now in my 30's). Belize is at the top of our list along with Mauritius, Africa.
We stayed for two weeks and had done quite a bit of research before we left so we knew what to expect. My hubby and I stayed on the resort and chilled for the first 3 days then took a trip in to town by local bus which cost only 1$us. I don't recommend this as it is crowded, takes a long time and was extremely hot. But it was worth the experience. Town is small but has great little places to eat, enjoy a drink and of course pig out on Gelato at Tutty Frutti!
***For those who travel with a light load I strongly recommend that you bring plenty of sunscreen from home. We brought lots of sunscreen but felt we needed a stronger SPF. We bought some SPF50 in town. We bought a well known Canadian made brand. Turned out it was fake. Terrible mistake. It was very upsetting that local stores would put our health at risk this way. We had to stay in doors for a day and a bit because we burned terribly in just 2 hours. And I am a girl that rarely ever can burn. I just don't like to take risks with skin cancer.***
Once we recovered from our burns we had a great time taking trips to Silk Cayes and then to the barrier reef to see the rare siting of the Whale Sharks! It was amazing! We are avid snorkelers and loved the larger wildlife! We swam with black tip reef sharks, nurse sharks, loggerhead turtles, barracuda, dolphins, bull sharks, eagle ray and sting ray just to mention a few!
We also rented a car from Barefoot rentals and went on a few day trips. the cost of renting a car for a day plus the cost of gas was much cheaper than doing the days trips through the resort.
We payed 79 us per day for a 5 passenger pick up truck which was a blessing as some of our excursions are far off the beaten track and a pick-up was much appreciated so thank-you Barefoot for the suggestion of a truck!
We went to Mamanoot to go zip lining ( located 45 min drive from hotel). They have the longest zip line in Belize at 1200 feet. Fantastic! Great guides that take you through everything thoroughly and safely. Cost was 60us.
We also went across Belize to Xunantunich pyramid. Drive was 3 hours long but only cost 5 bucks each to get in and was breath taking, here we also heard but did not get to see the Howler Monkeys. They make a sound unlike anything we have ever heard before!
We also went caving in a large cave and swimming in the blue hole. That only cost 4 dollars each but for both excursions. We also went to Cockscomb Jaguar reserve to go tubing down the river which was approx 18$ for both of us. This was the least exciting excursion because the river was low at this time of year and we repeatedly got stuck to the bottom of the river. Very safe though no wildlife that would sting or poison you.
As for the hotel rooms, staff and food, all was excellent. Our hotel room was on the second floor with a King bed and beautiful rain shower bathroom. Our room was always clean and tidy and our sheets changed only every 3 days which I thought was environmentally friendly. Staff was always helpful and we could have even upgraded our room if we had chosen to do so.
We especially enjoyed service from Rob, Marco, Silvano, Caesar, Liz and sorry but I forget the name of the bartender that looked a lot like Caesar. They were all so accommodating and friendly!
We never had a problem getting a lounge chair by the pool or at the beach. As other reviews had mentioned the beach is gorgeous but swimming isn't that great. Tried it a few times but other than the spectacular vibrant starfish there was not much to see as the water is very murky.
Food was always good, I don't know why people complain. I am an extremely picky eater and I was full after each meal. There are lots of choices at the buffet on the pier and sitting at the pier at night is so relaxing and refreshing. After being there for 2 weeks we thought we would be sick of the food but we were not. They offered different choices for each meal everyday!

We plan to return next year but to first visit Roatan Honduras for one week then fly the short trip over to Belize for our second week!
Thanks to all of the kind and hard working staff! We realize how hard you all work and truly thank-you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
The Management and Staff woud like to express their appreciation for your taking time out to write such a lovely comment about our hotel. We are pleased to know that we rank way up there in your opinion, next to Mauritius Africa. I must agree with you there is nothing like eating at Tutti Frutti. We are also happy that your room met your expectations and are pleased that the kitchen and staff were excellent.

We will be looking forward to your return trip, there is still a lot more to see and know of Belize.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We just returned from our 8 night vacation in Belize, four of which were spent at the Placencia. The grounds are very well maintained along with a fantastic saltwater pool. Our room had a beautiful sea view and the room itself was exceptional. The breakfast buffet on the pier provided a wide variety of delicious food. We ate our remaining meals in the village and were very impressed with the local cuisine. However, the Barefoot Bar and Tutti Frutti are musts. The highlight of our trip has to be the tours. "Bubbles," "Boots" and Harry are exceptional tour guides and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our time in Placencia as well as teaching us a couple things along the way. This was a great place to get away from it all!

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Placencia and it was definitely a stay in paradise!
Hotel: The rooms were very nice and suite-style with a fridge, 2 flatscreen tvs and a balcony. Our room was ocean view which was pretty. The grounds and rooms were always kept very good which was impressive. There is even an organic garden that you can explore, of which alot of the resort food comes from. The infinity pool was amazing, and of course there was a swim up bar! The drinks were great, our favourites were: Dirty banana, Blue hawaiin, horney monkey and rum punch! There was entertainment on the pier at night but everything shut down pretty early. I heard that some people went into the Placencia village for nightlife though. We also took kayaks out from the resort which was fun. Some people took bikes around too to explore local areas. The areas around the resort were safe which was good. The ocean was not swimmable but some people still hung out on the chairs by the beach. The lounge chairs were very comfy!!
Food: All meals were served on the pier restaurant which was located on the ocean. It was always a great and relaxing atmosphere by day or night. I thought the food was pretty good, there was a selection of different meats, fish, vegetables, fruit with some Belizean flair. I would have liked to see more Belizean food as alot of it was Italian style. All-inclusive guests are allowed 2 a la carte dinners. The a la cartes dinners were quite good too. I would recommend trying food in the Placencia village though as there was really good local food. We went to Rumfish which I recommend! We went on two excursions through the hotel and were provided with tasty food for those.
Excursions: There were alot of excursions to choose from! My boyfriend and I went snorkeling at Laughing Bird Caye which was excellent. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and made it a learning experience for the snorkelers. On our boat ride back we were greeted with a pack of dolphins which was incredible!! We also went on the Monkey River tour which was pretty good too. At times it was slow but you cant force the wildlife to come out of the rainforest but thats okay. Other travellers said they saw a lot so I guess its hit or miss. We did go on a hike though and caught a glimpse of howler monkeys! Once again the tour guide was really knowledgeable and made it a memorable experience. There were many other tours such as ruins and cave tours that we heard were great too. We booked the tours through the hotel, but some other people did off-resort tours. One drawback was that I got tons of mosquito bites and a heat rash from the Monkey River hike so I highly recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants as I wore bug spray and still got bitten alot.
The weather was really hot as it is the dry season in Belize. The sun was really strong, we both got burnt even wearing sunscreen! But the pool was very nice to cool off in. The staff were very friendly, and we were always given great service. I would definitely return again and try other tours! Overall it was a relaxing, quaint atmosphere. This was not a party place though but we were okay with just relaxing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
The Management and Staff would like to thank you for writing about your experience at our hotel. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectations and I know you will keep the wonderful sight of the dolfins for a long time. Thank you.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Me and my husband just came back from The Placencia and OMG was it very nice...The room that we had was out of this world! The staff never seem to stop...from am to pm constantly grooming and cleaning the grounds...not that they needed to do it all the time, but they still did it, The pier for the buffett was really nice...I will admit some times the food was a little cold but not too bad.The a la carte was a bit slow but worth thw wait...really good food!
The pool was amazing...buy the end of the day it did get a bit warm but there is nothing you can do about that.. The weather was SMOKIN HOT!!! so being in the pool was really nice,
You couldn't really swim in the Ocean as it was really murky from them drenching for the new marina and there were a large number of jelly fish that were on the shore line and in the water so that was a bit of a drag as we are ocean people...but again the pool made up for it. There were a lot of sand fleas as well so bring bug goop!!!!
We did some tours but we rented a car as it was a lot cheeper and you could stop when you wanted to take picks. To get anywhere to do stuff it is a long way..if you plan a tour know that it will be a full day. Renting a car was cheap and easy to do...roads are really easy to drive and the locals are very helpful. Get a map..it really helps.
This is not a party place by no means..light do go out early and there is no were to get a drink after 10PM so just stock up like we did. This was a good thing for us as we really wanted to relax and not worry about drunks being stupid. There were some stupid people who were from Texas and they were disgusting people..and they wonder why Americans have a bad rep...well these people were the perfect example of Trailer Trash!!!!! They should stay in Texas!!! As they say in Texas...BIG things are in Texas.... and they were BIG!!!...Big Bodies....Bid Mouths...Big egos and Big A%# h#$*s. They were kicked out of the pool cause they couldn't shut their yaps... and there was a lot of complaints about them....like really...grow up!!!
The staff were really helpful and pleasent...We went for two wks and it was awesome!!! Would for sure go again!!

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool cant go wrong...beautiful!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to say thank you for having taken out some of your time to write about your experience at our property. We are so happy that you enjoyed the pool and the swim up bar.
Thank you.
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Getting there: We stopped in Honduras and then proceded on to Belize city. From Belize city you travel a 30 minute flight with Maya Air on a 12 seater plane. The view was amazing and it almost felt like taking an excursion. The hotel is a 20 minute drive from Maya Air.
Hotel: Check in was extremely quick and we were welcomed with a rum punch! The accommodations were fabulous. We stayed in Room 158 which was on the third floor. We had a fridge, 32 inch TV, hair dryer, king bed and a balcony. There was a lighted make up mirror in the bathroom with a zoom. The hotel was extremely clean and always well maintained. The beds were firm which is just the way that we like them. All of the rooms were very different. The rooms beneath us on the 2nd floor were larger and had kitchens which no one actually used. The staff were very friendly and helpful and would go out of there way to assist you . The beach is very picturesque, but is loaded with jelly fish. Thankfully the infinity pool makes up for this. The loungers by the pool are very comfortable and plentiful. The sun is extremely hot. I normally tan easily and only use 15 sunblock. I used 30 sunblock and still burned. As the resort is small, you essentially get to meet all of the guests. Thankfully we had fabulous people from Canada the week that we attended and had a great time! There are many guests who also come from Texas!
Food: The main restaurant is at the end of the pier which was perfect as there was always a breeze. You could choose to sit inside or outside. You could always find something that you liked at all meals. For breakfast, they had an omlette station and usually the choice of several other options. Alternate days they had bacon which was fantastic. Always lots of fruit available at each meal. Fish was available at both lunch and dinner along with several other types of meat like pork, chicken and sometimes beef which was excellent. We are not picky eaters and we were happy with the food. The serving staff were always friendly and provided exceptional service. They have food by the pool bar in the middle of the afternoon - we had chicken fingers one day, chicken wings another, nachos etc. Look for the food in the shaded area attached to the pool bar as guaranteed you will be in the pool at this time. The A La Carte restaurant provided a menu. You could choose to sit inside or outside. The food was good, but the pier was much preferred atmoshphere
Bars: The bar staff was amazing. Arnold - creator of the "Bonnie" and "The Belezian Breeze" always could create a drink that met your needs and tasted delicious. Arnold was one of the kindest people we have ever met. Franco & Ferneine had smurf shooters and milky way shots. They were always entertaining and put on a good show! Ferneine could pour 4 shots at the same time! The bars however close at 10pm every night except Karaoke night on the pier on Fridays. This is worth attending as some of the staff have great voices.
Location: The hotel is located about 30 minutes outside of the town of Placencia. Taxi travel is expensive and costs $50US for a round trip. You can take a bus for $1US each way. There is a shuttle that travels to town which is free, but the time is different every day - it never worked out for us, but check at the desk before you head out. The town itself has multiple gift shops, grocery stores and a beach that you could swim at. We visited Barefoot Bar but missed Omar's which is highly recommended for local food.
Excursions: We rented a car from town and travelled on our own to Xanatunich ruins which takes about 2 1/2 hours by car. The highways have huge pedestrian crossings which are essentially speed humps which are much larger than a bump. You could be travelling down at 120km/hr and then have a warning that a hump is 100 yards away! Some of these humps are not even marked as signs have fallen down which makes night time travel dangerous! Xanatunich ruins are well worth seeing. We hired a guide that explained everything in great detail. To enter, you take a very short ferry ride across the river and then travel 1 mile up the hill to begin. The tour takes about 1 1/2 hours and is very hot with very little protection from the sun so wear a hat. Travelling through San Ignacio which is hilly with twin streets is beautiful - Fridays they have a market with local foods, local produce and some crafts. We also did Cave Tubing which wasn't exactly what we expected. April is the dry month and the river was moving very slowly so it was more of a lazy river ride where the majority of the time you were being pulled by your tour guide. However, our operator was great and explained many of the trees and their medicinal uses during our hike to start the tubing. They served a nice lunch of rice and beans with some chicken which was great. We did Monkey River which left from Placencia and travelled 45 minutes by boat to a small village. We did see some Howler Monkeys but they were very high up in the trees. Lots of interesting birds along the river way. We ate at Alice's Restaurant and had Snook fish which was delicious - a must try!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
The Management and Staff would like to express their appreciation to you for having taken the time to write about your experience at our hotel. Your comments about everything is so true. I am happy that our lovely pool made up for not being abel to swim in the carribean. The bartenders will appreciate it that they have contributed to your enjoyment here. I would like to thank you for the lovely pictures that you have posted.
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed at the Placencia with Sunwing. Had a wonderful stay with great staff and great food. The pier was a wonderful setting for meals with a lovely breeze and oceanview. We preferred this to the a la carte setting which was indoors and more formal.
Pool was well used due to the heat but not crowded. It is very much a get away resort if you like to just relax. Definitely not meant for a party crowd which suited us just fine.
We loved watching the pelicans fishing but if you enjoy swimming in the ocean this beach is not the best for you. It was still great for sunning and the view.
The staff really made this place. Everyone was helpful, pleasant and went of their way to make our stay a good one. Since the hotel was not very crowded, the small group of Canadians were great to connect with. Recommend taking the mayan ruin tour through the hotel. They were very organized and packed towels, snacks and water for everyone. We just had to show up. Had a lovely lunch in a little town by the ruins. The guide /driver from the hotel was very informative and it was a great day out. It is also easy to rent a car and drive which a number of people did.
The hotel is very willing to provide a shuttle ride into town which is a fair distance. Check to see what time they are heading in. Even when the time was changed unexpectedly, the staff made a great effort to track down everyone who had requested a ride on the shuttle. Make sure that you give them your room number when you want to take the shuttle. Also ask reception about the local chocolate factory. Taking the bus back from the village is very easy. The price is $1 US and the conductor will collect the money after you are seated. There is great music playing and it is very friendly and safe. You are dropped off right in front of the hotel. Make sure you tell the conductor where you are going .
Travelling to the hotel via the small plane was a great experience. Sure it takes longer but it is a great view of the country.
Overall we were very happy with our stay. .

Room Tip: Rooms were lovely and spacious. The best oceanview rooms are on the third floor but they are smaller...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
The Management and Staff would like to express their appreciation to you for having taken time to write about your experience at our property. It has been quite entertaining to look at the pelican doing their dives. We are happy that our staff contributed to your having a good time here with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Chabil Mar
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 12 in Hopkins
5.0 of 5 stars 418 reviews

Been to The Placencia Hotel and Residences? Share your experiences!