“Outstanding Location, Hotel and Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
mexico
“Outstanding Location, Hotel and Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a fabulous 4 nights in the new Maya Apartment, it has a stunning sea view from the terrace of the apartment, with ample comfy seating on the terrace.

The lounge has what seems to be the worlds chunkiest comfy sofa, a lovely equipped kitchen, with great looking stove, big fridge etc, mind you one would be barmy to cook, with the great food on offer in the restaurant on the beach, more of that later.

The bedrooms are very well decorated with mega air conditioning if you need it, we chose to adjust to the heat with the big fan on and just listen to the sound of the sea. Plus we had a bonus of a full moon, the moon shadows along the beach where very special, now talking about special ...the food.....lovely home made bagels and smoked salmon, capers, onions, cream cheese my breakfast to die for, my wife not the planets keenest breakfast eater even had breakfast each day. Mind you the coffee would run a jet engine, it is so strong kind of just what you need having gone crazy on the great wine choice the night before....

Dinner, well won't bore you with the panoply of delicious dishes, just bear in mind the starters are a meal on their own, oh and do not forget the chocolate cake or chocolate soufflé we are now on a brutal diet back home.

Enjoy this place, no televisions, but great internet, you can even go tenpin bowling down the road about 4 minutes walk.

Room Tip: They have great new cabanas that the owner Ellen showed us and the Coconut room looked really cool w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FlipFlopTheBeachCat, Owner at Maya Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
We're glad you liked our new Maya Apartment. Thanks for the nice comments, and we'll see you on your next trip down from way up north in Mexico!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights before boarding a catamaran for a week. They sent a taxi to pick us up at the airport and had arranged for our hopper flight from Belize. Their communication with us was excellent and no problems getting to the hotel.

Our room was clean, spacious, and very comfortable. Air conditioning worked very well and there was a private balcony with a large ratan seating area just for our room. We stayed in the Coconut room. The room was equipped with a safe and although they suggested locking our door all the time we left it open most of our stay and felt completely comfortable and had no real worries about theft.

The restaurant was the highlight. Very airy and close to the beach with shade from the palms and the food was top notch. We tried almost everything on the menu and were not disappointed with any of it. Prices were very reasonable, the beer was cheap ($2.50 us) and the staff were very pleasant and very good at their jobs.

The owners are hands on and talk to everyone and make sure everything is going well with your stay. They have a very impressive wine selection and will help you pick out a good one to compliment your meal.

We rode the hotel bicycles to the grocery store only about 5 minutes away and picked up a few items for our fridge but ate most of our meals from the restaurant. There is a small but very well maintained pool with numerous tanning beds around it. Lots of Muskoka Chairs on the beach and the dock/deck area was my favorite. You could swing in a hammock or sit staring out at the ocean for hours under the palapa. We took the complimentary kayaks out and thoroughly enjoyed a paddle along the coast. Awesome and relaxing.

I would highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: The Coconut room is very airy and open. Some of the lower rooms are in a darker atmosphere due to l...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
You were very nice to write a review for us. Glad you liked the hotel and Bistro. Thank you, but most of all thanks for staying with us! You're welcome back at Maya Beach anytime.
Stony Point, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is not just a review, but this is also a Thank You letter to John and Ellen- as I know you guys will read this.

My boyfriend and I had planned a week to spend in Belize in which we had planned two nights in Placencia, 2 nights in San Ignacio, and 2 nights in San Pedro with all hotels booked in advance. I somehow screwed up our online reservation for the original hotel in Placencia so we accidentally (and thankfully) happened upon Maya Beach Hotel since our original was overbooked. I cannot tell you how huge of an impact my internet deficiency made on our entire vacation, because I can honestly say that MBH MADE our entire trip and will provide future trips with a very high bar to hit.

We have both travelled extensively all over the world and neither of us have ever felt as strongly about a hotel property, staff and restaurant as we do about Maya Beach. We booked two nights at Maya Beach, and loved it so much we kept extending our stay, one night, then another night. As I mentioned earlier we had PAID for a hotel already in San Ignacio, totally nonrefundable, and basically fell so much in love with MBH and Placencia that we decided to just eat the cost and extend our stay for a night more... And then another... And this pattern would have continued if we hadn't had to return our rental car to Belize City before our flight to San Pedro (Damnit!)

We are actually in San Pedro now and keep saying to each other... Wow, I miss Maya Beach Hotel and Placencia.

The restaurant would hold it's own to any top New York City restaurants in terms of quality and creativity, yet without the pomp and circumstance, and with a local Caribbean twist. Delicious- John you are a rockstar. (Did I mention, for the 4 days we were in Placencia, we ate EVERY meal at The Bistro except for two which were included on our snorkel and Monkey River tours.)

The property- breathtaking. From the Studio room we were in, to the pools, the beach, the view, the palm trees and the dock with the hammocks. Heaven on Earth.

And lastly, and absolutely the most critical and important reason that makes this place stand on its own and brings all this magic together: The Staff. Marlin at the front desk, Avi at the Bar, Oscar the waiter, Barbara who helped keep our room tidy, all of the many others, and of course John and Ellen, the savvy owners- it blew us away how welcoming and how much of a family feel we felt at the hotel. Literally every night, Ryan and I would camp out at the bar and chat with fellow patrons, locals, Avi (we love you Avi!) and as things slowed down in the night, John and Ellen. Absolutely brilliant.

John/Ellen- you have built a place that is seriously special. You are an inspiration to both of us. We wish you all the best and look out for us, because we will be back soon. Thanks for helping give us the best vacation of our lives.

Emma & Ryan

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, this is one of the "Best Reviews Anyone Ever Wrote For Us!" Thank you so much for your enthusiastic words -- they mean a lot. Please do find a way to come back and visit Belize and Maya Beach again. There's so much you may have missed!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

A review that is overdue. My husband and I headed to Belize a few days ahead of our college age children. We choose the Maya Beach as the place we would stay. Long drive from Belize City, but so worth it! The view is amazing and what a beach!

We had dinner the first night at the Maya Beach restaurant. Loved it so much we went back a couple times.

We were in one of the houses they rent the first few nights. Almost to big for two people, but clean and had a great front porch with a wonderful hammock.

When our kids place was delayed, we stayed an extra night in one of the smaller rooms of the hotel. Nothing like the house, but more then adequate and we would have been fine there the whole time.

If we come to Belize again, we will stay here and spend more time doing some adventuring from this location.

Room Tip: The rental house was great. Short walk up the beach to the restaurant and reception.
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at Maya Beach for two nights on the second leg of our Belize trip. We stayed in the Coconut room, which we felt was a good value with its room size and the air conditioning was greatly enjoyed. We ate in Placencia one night and at the Bistro the other. A great downside to the hotel is its distance from Placencia, as it is a $20 US cab ride there. We did have a very good meal at the Bistro, but felt that it was overpriced, in comparison with the equally good food we enjoyed in town.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We drove down from Belize City after a trip to overcrowded Cay Caulkner. 235 km in 3.5 hrs and a spectacular tropical landscape. Since we had no reservations, we walked in at 6 places in Placencia and Maya Beach (12km north). The Maya Beach Hotel jumped out at first sight with clean rooms and very friendly staff. We felt at home immediately. Stayed at the Flip Flop Palace 2nd floor 2 nights and extended our stay at the Dreamsicle House. Both come with fridge, a/c and privacy.
The food at the Bistro is amazing and award winning (2012 best restaurant in the country).
Combination of hotel and bistro makes this place one of a kind...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We just returned to Vancouver from a two week vacation in Belize. We spent 8 nights in San Pedro and then flew south to Placencia and spent 6 nights at Maya Beach Hotel (MBH) We rented the main floor of the Joya del Mar house, which is about 50-60 feet from the hotel. MBH doesn't own the house but manages it along with a few other homes next to the hotel. My only complaint about our stay at Maya Beach is that it wasn't long enough. We should have spent 3 days in San Pedro and the rest of our vacation at Maya Beach. Next time...

This property is amazing. I stumbled across MBH and Bistro when I was researching a place to stay while we were still in San Pedro. I had been to Placencia when I visited Belize 7 years ago so knew I wanted to go back for the great diving the area offers. I read the reviews about MBH and once I read about the bistro it was a no brainer. I sent an email to MBH through their website and they responded promptly and answered a few questions that helped me determine which of the houses adjacent to their hotel would suit our needs. We booked the main floor of the Joya del Mar house. Two days later we arrived in Placencia and the driver was waiting at the airport when we landed and took us to MBH.

From the first minute we arrived we felt so welcome and really it was a feeling of being at home. We settled into the house quickly and made our way back (a 15 second walk on the beach) to the bistro for happy hour. The food at the bistro is amazing! The food in Belize was actually very good everywhere we went. Good quality and flavourful compared to Mexico and Cuba (to make a gross generalization). We enjoyed many good meals in San Pedro but the food at MBH bistro was a few steps above. They use local ingredients and fuse Belizian cooking with twists that give the dishes an international appeal. Their bistro had been awarded the best restaurant in Belize. Everything I read online was true. Also about the staff all being so friendly and helpful. Especially Marlon. He was awesome. He helped us so much arranging diving and our Cockscomb jungle/river tubing trip. My partner Keith's birthday was going to be our last day/night at MBH so I started trying to plan something as soon as we arrived. Marlon went above and beyond looking for drummers to come to MBH or figuring out where we could go to see drumming or for a special dinner on the Saturday night. In the end we decided to have dinner at the bistro for Keith's birthday and I was surprised that they had remembered earlier in the week that I mentioned Keith loves chocolate cheesecake. They made the most delicious mocha chocolate cheesecake and even brought it out and sang happy birthday to Keith. It was wonderful and Keith was surprised and touched. He had the lobster for dinner and loved it. We actually loved every single meal we had at the bistro. The breakfast sandwich, the pizzas, and all the seafood dishes were awesome. There wasn't one meal either of us had that we didn't love. I think I easily gained 5 pounds in that 6 days we were there.

We of course had a full kitchen at the Joya del Mar house but cooked there only a few times because we loved the food at the bistro (and the convenience of being able to stroll over from our front door).

We borrowed a couple of cruiser bikes to ride half a mile down the road to the local market to stock up on supplies. It is quite convenient having the market close by and there is no need to rent a car to get around if you are doing diving or tours with operators who pick you up at the hotel. The market sells everything you can want...beer, wine, meat, dairy, household items, etc.

Now, about the house...it was a great set up for us (a couple traveling without children). It wouldn't work for a family because it only has the king bed in the bedroom and the only washroom is an ensuite to the bedroom. I would highly recommend this house to couples. Probably even friends traveling together because I believe the bed can be separated into two singles. The house was large and as a bonus we had a washer and dryer, which was great because we had been traveling for over a week when we arrived. This suite also has a TV with cable. We didn't go to Belize to watch TV but it was nice to relax on the couch after we finished watching the sun go down at the edge of the ocean 30 feet from the front door. We got to watch Shark Week on Discovery Channel which was an added bonus. This house has a suite upstairs and a suite behind the property. They were both unoccupied so we had the house to ourselves. Facing the ocean, the MBH is a short walk to the right and on the left there is nobody, just a lot that hasn't been built on that is full of trees and bushes. So it was very secluded. The Flip Flop Palace house that MBH rents out as well is on the right (and between Joya del Mar and the hotel). It is far enough away to still give lots of privacy for each rental. Even with the other suites in the Joya del Mar house rented, I think you would still have a lot of privacy. Although you might be taking turns with the chairs and hammock on the beach in front of the house.

Many mornings when the ocean was completely still I would walk over to the palapa (dock) in front of the hotel for the sunrise and sit and watch the fish jump around the dock while I had my tea. I did this for 2 hours each morning and this quiet special time is something I cherished because I have two young children at home so not much quiet time for myself. The only person around at 6am would be one of the staff who was raking the sea grass from the beach. The palapa has a double wooden swing, a couple of hammocks and a few Muskoka/Adirondack style chairs. Very comfy.

Marlon helped us arranging our diving with Splash Dive Centre. They are really good. A bit pricey but great service, clean and big boats and nice staff. They picked us up and dropped us off at MBH for each dive. Keith did the full day Glover's Reef trip (I was under the weather that day so couldn't go). He wasn't overwhelmed by it and was more impressed by the dives we did out of San Pedro with Amigos del Mar. He didn't see much on the dives and the visibility wasn't great but that can change day by day. We both went out a few days later and did the full-day Silk Caye dives and I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in diving from Placencia. I won't say what we did on the dives because it will spoil the surprise if you decide to do them. The dives were really good but the icing on the cake was what we did apart from the diving. The water in Belize (at this time of year) is hot. I dove in just a bikini...95 feet down and 20 miles out in the ocean the water was still 85 degrees.

In the middle of the week we took advantage of calm seas and used the double kayak from MBH (they have a number of kayaks and bikes for guests to use for free) and paddled over to False Caye which is about a mile directly in front of MBH. It's not really an island, just a large cluster of mangroves. I saw a few spots with a bit of sand and small beach but mostly it's just mangroves. On the way over to False Caye we had two dolphins come up to our kayak and swam about 10 feet from our boat for a few minutes. Then we went to a great little snorkel spot and dropped an anchor (thoughtfully provided by the owner Ellen along with directions to the snorkel spot) and swam around for about 90 minutes. TIP: the kayak seat wore the sunscreen off my butt and upper legs so I got quite the little burn from snorkeling so would recommend reapplying sunscreen after kayaking. We were on the east side of the False Caye with nothing but the ocean to the east and nobody around. It was a highlight of the trip and the solitude of being out there was totally consistent with the vibe of MBH in general.

On our last full day at MBH we choose to do the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve trip. It was interesting and it was fun to do the 45 minute tube ride down the river after the 2 hour hike (more like a walk). We aren't overly interested in birds and flora and didn't see any wildlife so the trip didn't blow our hair back by any stretch. When I booked it I thought I was booking one with a bit more adventure (cave tubing or jumping off a waterfall?) so I can't say it was a bad tour so much as not what we were expecting. But the guide was really nice and super knowledgeable about the jungle and Mayan culture; specifically all the natural remedies they have using plants found in the jungle.

I can't say enough good things about Maya Beach Hotel and their bistro. The owners John and Ellen and all of their staff were amazing. I especially liked the take out wine service :) And the extensive wine list. The food was among the best I've ever found in all my travels. And the location can't be beat if you are looking for a stunning view of the ocean in a quiet chilled out setting.

We are already planning our trip back for whale shark dive season next year :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Chabil Mar
Laru Beya Resort & Villas
Laru Beya Resort & Villas
#7 of 20 in Placencia
4.5 of 5 stars 474 reviews

Been to Maya Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!