The two things that this place has going for it are the location and friendly owner. But is not enough to salvage the place.
The place badly needs some maintenance. It appears that the walls have not been washed for a while (see photos), they certainly have not cleaned under the bed for a long time and you have power outlets just hanging out (see other photo). They have 4 adirondack chairs but one is falling apart. There are a couple of long chairs but the dogs were using them the day that we arrived. And since they never remove the cushion at night, they stay wet after rain and are not-usable. They look very dirty as well. Talking about the dogs. I love dogs. But they were attached just in front of my window and started barking at 6am, not something I need on a vacation. They sleep all day attached under the palapa. doesn't really attract you there. Doesn't exactly feel clean.
As I said at the top, on key attraction is it location, a good spot on the beach. However, the owner never clean their frontage of the beach. Unlike the hotel next door which does (see photo). It would only take a few minutes. Instead you have to step over a lot of garbage to get to the water. I don't mean the seaweeds washed to shore, that would not be too bad. I mean the garbage, the plastic, bottle and occasional dog poo (not their dog though as I saw a stray dog doing his deed there).
I should also mention the lack of privacy as you will hear everything going on next door and everyone who is talking outside in front of your place. There is also the issue of lack of hot water. The water is lukewarm at best and very little water pressure coming out of a very old shower hear ( I actually do not think that it is a shower head as such).
Did I forget anything? Oh, there is a small fridge which is a nice addition to an otherwise very small room.
At $80 per night, this is rather expensive, even for this area. It should be priced below $50. Our next place was $30 more but 5 times nicer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westwind Hotel is centrally located in the heart of the quiet fishing village of Punta (Pt.) Placencia. This locally owned and operated hotel is attractive, modern and comfortable. Within a stones throw from the Caribbean Sea, the Westwind Hotel is within access to local restaurants and tour operators. Tours can be arranged with the best guides for fishing, diving, and snorkeling as well as inland tours to the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve and the Mayan Ruins. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Westwind Belize Placencia
- Westwind Belize Hotel Placencia
- Westwind Hotel On The Beach Belize/Placencia