“Habeneros” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Fontana, California
“Habeneros”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent 14 days in Belize recently and had dinner or lunch at Habeneros at least 3 times. The food and service was outstanding each time, and I only wish we could have eaten there more often. We have been home for a month now and I really miss this restaurant. If you are in this area of Belize, you don't want to miss this restaurant. Guaranteed good food and fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Roberts Grove is awesome! the staff, rooms, service, food, atmosphere is top notch. The rooms were large and clean, quiet.
tons of stuff to do. the buffet and music on Saturdays cannot be beat, along with the banana crepe desert!
See Alex and Erdulfo in the bar, great service and helpful, tell em that Tonya said to come by.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here in early June. As a travel book we read stated, the resort was "pure class all the way." Our room was stylish, clean, and very cool. We enjoyed our balcony facing the beach every night. The staff was friendly, remembering our names and faces everywhere we went. I couldn't have asked for better people there to make our stay hospitable, from the front desk, to housekeeping, to Clifton who assisted us with the Hobiecat for the first time. We had dinner at two of the restaurants, and enjoyed the continental breakfast in the morning. The beachside seating for meals off of the main lobby was top-notch. We will DEFINITELY return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here from May 19, 2013 to May 30, 2012. We were upgraded upon check-in to a one bedroom villa. It was the farthest room on the property in Building I. It was very comfortable, quiet and clean. We had a big porch just 6 feet from the sand and 30 feet from the ocean. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. It was not extremely busy when we were there so I can't say if at busier times if the staff would be as good. The front desk Ladies were all awesome and helped us many times with our questions and booking our excursions.

We had the free breakfast included in our room. It was more than enough for us as divers to eat before heading out for a full day on the boat and in the water. It included fruit (2 kinds), toast, baked goods made by Mathieu’s (the deli by Habaneros), yogurt, coffee, tea, juice. If you want to add eggs or something at a cost you can. We ate at The Robert's Grove restaurant for dinner once, the food was good but very over priced for the quality and the quantity. We preferred Sweet Mama's (low Belize price) and Habaneros (moderate price lower than Robert's Grove) when we stayed around the resort.

We ate in town at Wendys (really good for lunch and lighter dinner), Secret Garden (really good- great dinners), Rumfish y vino (really great dinner), then top it off with something from Tutti-Frutti (awesome homemade ice cream). The Above grounds coffee house is a great place to stop in and get an iced coffee on a hot afternoon.

The 3 pools were kept clean every day. If they cleaned them in the morning the breeze would blow stuff in and by afternoon they looked bad but they did clean them every day. They did rake the beach every morning however being on the windward side the beach surf was pretty high everyday we were there and the seaweed just kept coming in.

Security was very visible and I felt comfortable enough to leave my Ipad out charging in the room when we were gone. They do have in room safes.

We did go there to reef dive and whale shark dive. We did not use the onsite dive shop, they had a lot of bad reviews for safety and attention, but we did not hear any real complaints from the other guests while we were there. We did our diving with Seahorse in Placencia, it was awesome we saw 5 whale sharks in 4 dives.

The taxi ride into town (one way) was $10 US from Robert's Grove $20 US if you stay even 2 miles further up the road like Maya beach.

They keep lotion, shampoo, conditioner and a hair dryer in the bathroom. I like to know this for suitcase weight due to the fact we are divers and bring a lot of gear so every ounce can make a difference for us.

We like to walk the beach to town in other places so my biggest disappointment was the fact that when we walked to Seine Bight less than a mile down the beach it was like a garbage dump right on the ocean. Apparently the local people don't feel compelled to keep the beautiful ocean front beautiful. Seine Bight is just a small town with a few stores and would benefit more if the tourist had a nice beach to walk up to town. I know we would have went into Seine Bight everyday.

We did go on the Monkey River tour - if you have all ready seen howler monkeys and have taken a boat through the mangroves I would not recommend this tour. I heard other guests saying the tube caving was fun, we wished we would have done that.

I did like staying at Robert's Grove and I would recommend it for most anyone.

I would definitely go back to Placencia but I might try staying in town the next time.

Room Tip: If you like quiet the one bedroom villa in bldg. I was very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for three nights,the resort is very beautiful,lots of trees and flowers. Only problem for us,was the fact that it was about 5-6miles from town,so a taxi or golf cart was necessary to get to town.Other downside was the room,we had a one bedroom,which was so small,you could hardly turn around in it,not only that,but was very dated and badly in need of remodeling.One thing was great,that was the ocean view from our back porch.One staff member was very nice to us. Thanks miss Floret Valerio for showing us some true Belizean manners.Hope to see you again on my next trip.People at the dive shop was also very nice,and the snorkeling was fantastic.

Room Tip: Read all the reviews,and ask a lot of questions ,especially about the size of the room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We spent the first week of June a Robert's Grove. My husband and I both fell in love with this place! It is right on the beach. We stayed in a one-bedroom villa and I can't even explain the view from our private patio. There were coconut trees, white sand, the color of the water changed every single time I looked at it, depending on how the sun/clouds were at the moment. We had a hammock, a table & chairs, and two nice big comfy sitting chairs perfect for morning coffee and reading!

There are lots of beach toys to play with and ride in the water. There's plenty of lounge chairs, so no need to worry about racing down in the morning to save a spot for the day. We also borrowed bikes to ride into town each day. You just swing by the check-in desk and tell them you want a bike and by the time you get to the storage shed someone is greeting you to give you a bike.

The room was cleaned every day and housekeeping came by every single night to check on us to see if we needed fresh towels or shampoo and delivered little chocolates.

We ate in the Seaside dining area every morning for breakfast. The continental breakfast they put out each day is lovely. There was always tons of pineapple and melon. You can make your own toast. The coffee is pretty good. We usually ordered a couple of scrambled eggs also.

Sweet Mama's is delicious and VERY reasonably priced. We ate there several times and the meal I'm remembering was the BBQ chicken, rice & beans with coleslaw for 5 bucks!!!! The staff moves at what I call "island pace" but the food is amazing, inexpensive and it is really a fun place to sit and hang out. Oh, here is the best part, they actually peel and cut REAL potatoes to make their French fries. Nothing can compare to real French fries!

We only booked one excursion through the hotel. We took the snorkeling trip. It was a wonderful experience and I'm glad I did it. Beware though, the thing I didn't totally understand was that the boat drops you off and goes off to take the divers to deeper water. I was under the impression that we would be closer to the island... and it made me anxious to know that we were a considerable distance from the island and the boat! Please know I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking the dive/snorkel trip, just know the deal :) and WEAR THE LIFE float! This is an option as your jumping off the back of the boat and it shouldn't be! You are out there with two instructors and several people, be smart and wear the float!

We only had a few minor issues come up while we were there, the first one being I had requested a 2nd floor room and they assigned us to a 1st floor room, they moved us immediately. The other issue is our refrigerator didn't work, and finally the 2nd day when they hadn't come to check it, I moved it around and discovered it was unplugged, so I plugged it in, but it wasn't until the end of the 2nd day that anyone came to fix it. Lastly, on the "con" side is the fact that security allowed the locals to come onto the grounds and sell jewelry and souvenir type stuff. I also had this happen at a restaurant in town and it is a big turn off for me. I'm paying a lot of money to be a guest at this wonderful resort and I don't want the intrusion of being bothered to buy something. I wouldn't mind if they "set up" somewhere on the beach, but they should not be allowed to approach the guests.

Overall, I highly recommend this resort if you are heading to Placencia! We hope to return for another visit one day!

Room Tip: I prefer staying on the 2nd floor, I feel the rooms are more private.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Roberts Grove is such a beautiful place in a great location. At night the beachfront restaurant has a very romantic feel and they even prepare some of your dishes at the table for that added touch. The staff are all very friendly and I was sad to leave.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Robert's Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!