“Staff are its biggest asset” 4 of 5 stars

Robert's Grove Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Placencia Rd, Robert's Grove, Placencia, Belize   |
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Melbourne, Australia
“Staff are its biggest asset”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We enjoyed RG for the most part and the highlight was the staff. They are so friendly and nothing was a bother. The room was immaculately cleaned each day although there was the odd bug, ant or roach so check your shoes. It was to be expected considering where we were. We didnt find the no see ums as bad as we had expected and a little deet keeps them away. The public areas were the best we came across with three pools and a nice deck out over the water. One suggestion for RG would be to allocate one of the pools strictly adults only. The beach is not that great due to sea grass, but that is not exclusive to RG with the sea grass all along the peninsular. We "inspected" other properties (or at least their bars) and in the end were happy with choosing RG. The only thing that lets RG down is the food and beverage which was far superior every other place we went. We ate breakfast each day and although the continental breakfast buffet suited us before heading out diving, had we been looking for a big breakfast experience, RG wouldn't have suited. You can order a la carte but its only average. We had the BBQ buffet one night and while it was OK, there was nothing memorable about it. There are certainly better food options in the area although you need a car or taxi to get to them. As others have mentioned, the whale shark diving seems a bit of a scam, or at the very least false advertising. According to our dive guides, no one saw a whale shark last year, and only 2 sightings in 2011. To be honest, the other diving with RG was not as expected but will review diving separately as this is for the hotel. On a positive, if you dive with RG the dive shop is conveniently located to the hotel and you can charge it all back to the room. We used the hobby cat, and as first time users, one of the activities staff gave us lessons and kept an eye on us for nearly an hour while we were out. In summary, good rooms and pool facilities but don't go for the food.

Room Tip: I would pay extra for an ocean front room if available
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Roberts Grove was an ok experience. Rooms were highly variable, ranging from acceptable to very lovely. Prices for everything was astronomical. Better deal in town - but, because the hotel is so far away, it seems a hectic trek - so, we ended up eating in often. Not a great bargain place. I probably won't be back. I found it scenic but expensive and out of the way. Beach not nice for kids, way too rough. Great views though.

• Stayed April 2013
Castle Rock, Co.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The resort was great. Our two room villa had a nice view and large deck. The living room was a great location for my sister and I to hang out and plan our upcoming activities. Our villa had a pool on each side of it. When it got too windy in the evenings we just went across the street to the restaurant at the lagoon/marina.
The Robert's Grove diving operations was another story. We went on one of their Whale Shark dives. My sister and I were snorkeling while most folks on the boat scuba dived. One of the women snorkeling had the body of an Olympic swimmer and swam like one. Instead of our guide staying with us less than average swimmers he stayed with the woman who could have easily swam across the English channel. I got left behind in the middle of the ocean. I finally swam back the long distance back and got on to the boat. A guy with a scuba tank came aboard just before me. He said they gave him a half full tank. He ran out of air down at 60-80 ft. Down at that depth he looked around and was all alone. Luckily he was able to surface without any damage. Later I decided to snorkel near the boat so if I got tired I could just get back aboard. The boat took off and left me.
When our guide was yelling at one of the deck hands (who didn't understand a word of English) to help my sister get back aboard he just stared into space. My sister fell getting aboard and gashed her knee open. They couldn't find the 1st aid kit and when they finally found it, it didn't have any disinfectant inside. She used some disinfectant one of the divers had. After the last dive the first people aboard were the guides. They went to work packing stuff up. The other divers came aboard and the boat headed back in without taking a head count. The divers complained that they spent their entire dive chasing the guides. One of the divers also said the boats props started spinning as they came up to the boat. Robert's Grove dive operation is scary.
We took another dive trip with Avadon dive and they were very professional. I saw them load their extensive 1st aid kit, they always took a roll call, and the guides stayed with the divers. It was like night and day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

It was a nice stay at the resort. Spent LOTS of money on the diving on their "Whale Shark dive" poor dive. . which is the main reason for our visit. No whale sharks, but listening to the dive masters on the way back, they stated "we always put that we see them to keep tourists coming". The resort actually recommended we change our trip from June to April for "prime whale shark diving" but not one was spotted. After speaking with locals we found out that there has not been a whale shark spotting THIS YEAR! Yet they still have tourists shelling out a lot of money to see them and go on the dives. Very disappointing.

Food is terrible, service is so slow, we ended up going into Placencia to dine despite the ridiculous $20 USD round trip taxi fare (for approx 3 mile drive). They have a nice spot and a lot of potential, I hope they get organized and are honest with tourists so that they know what to expect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Shawnee, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Perhaps I was spoiled by my stay at Ramon's in San Pedro just before going to Placencia. I found the attention to detail we enjoyed at Ramon's sadly lacking at Robert's Grove. As they say the devil is in the details. On the plus side, they provided timely transportation from the airport and put our luggage in the rooms while we were checked in by very friendly and personable staff. Check in was fast and easy. The rooms were nicely finished and we liked the huge bed even though it was a little high. It gave a new meaning to the term "jump out of bed". I'm six feet tall and my feet were 6 inches from the floor:-) Another plus was the excellent selection on the free continental breakfast. I chose a custom prepared omelette (extra cost) one day but the choices for the continental were enough for everyone else. The staff in the restaurant and bar were attentive and friendly. In your room you get one bottle of water and then have to pay for any additional. In their defense the tap water is supposed to be safe. I drank it and had no problems but if you are a purist be prepared to pay. The huge shower had an interesting feature. I noticed the tub spigot was turned 90 degrees. I didn't think anything of it because we intended to shower. Imagine the surprise when the water was turned on and the spigot flew off, hit the far side of the shower stall and the now bare pipe proceeded to run a stream of SCALDING hot water on your feet. Hmmmm. No adjustment of the controls would stop the scalding water from shooting out a solid stream even when the shower was going at a normal temperature. A wet washrag draped over the pipe diverted the very hot water to run onto the floor. Standing feet apart it was possible to shower without skin peeling:-) Details, details. Since the spigot had been just stuck on at an angle it seems likely that housekeeping was aware of the problem and chose to ignore it. On Saturday night they closed the restaurant to have their "famous" poolside buffet. Of course the live band needed to crank up the volume and the base to cover up their marginal talent and the walls of our room actually vibrated in sympathy. We chose to go across the street to their other restaurant to avoid the cacophony. I found it interesting that I could not charge meals or drinks to my room. They said I had no credit on file at Robert's. A minor annoyance but really? It seems the front desk at Robert's had keyed in my account wrong. Not a big problem but after being assured it was fixed the very same thing happened the next day. Details, details, details. Sadly the $28 round trip to the town 4.5 miles away will not get you much in the way of shopping or dinning so you might as well eat at one of Robert's places.

The real trouble surfaced at the dive center. Two of our group had booked a whale shark dive trip. This was the main reason for our side trip to Placencia following our time in San Pedro. A lack of professionalism, organization and planning permeated the entire dive operation. They were still trying to sort out equipment almost an hour after they were supposed to leave. Why wasn't it sorted out the day before when divers checked in ordered their lunches? They arrived at the dive site late and lost their place in line. For the second dive they managed to get into the site 20 seconds before the park closed for the day. After taking lunch orders the day before they instead just provided chicken and water and told people to hurry up and eat. Naturally they were late getting back but when my wife asked the guy at dive center when the boat was expected back the guy just looked out at the dock and said, "They're not back yet". No kidding Sherlock! The absence of a 50 foot dive boat must have been his first clue. When asked if they had heard from the boat he said they "don't have any communication with the boat". Great, I guess if the boats not back by morning she could assume the boat sank? The boat captain and dive masters did NOT get a tip. Next time we'll try Avadon! My advice, look for another diver operation.

And now for some mostly positive comments if you're not diving. We booked a manatee watching tour and the very knowledgeable guide was ready on time and provided us with a nice trip and we spent a lot of time hanging with a manatee and her calf. Our group of 4 people booked a Monkey River tour for the next day and I highly recommend it. We had the same guide but this time we had a delay while we waited for anther couple to join our group. We left without them after waiting a half hour. The guide got a call in his cell phone about 15 minutes into the boat ride. It turned out the front desk at Robert's had booked a couple that were actually staying at anther resort. oops. details, details. Their place was on the way so we stopped off and picked them up after all. The guide again gave us a great tour and we got to see crocs, a wide variety of birds, lizards and of course howler monkeys. We stopped in the lagoon on the way back for another round of manatee watching. A lunch of fish, red beans and rice at the town of Monkey river was pretty darn good! This guide got a BIG tip for a great trip!

Room Tip: Avoid staying there on Saturday unless you get a room far away from the pool. After blasting away wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This resort is very beautiful and property is well kept and clean. The staff are friendly and work hard to make sure your vacation is amazing. Didn't care for Sweet Mamas restaurant, run out of food on more than one occasion. Hotel restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere and is right on the beach but food is onlyonly so,so. Only drawback is the resort is a good distance from Placencia and it is very expensive to rent the golf cart which is really too bad as this is a great way to travel. Tour prices are comparable to town but spa prices much cheaper in town which is too bad cause it would be great to use spa at resort. I would recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Belize, the area I$ wonderful and it is very quiet and relaxing. Habenaros restaurant at the Marina is very good as well and make excellent fresh sandwiches.

Room Tip: Deluxe room facing beach is the best. We were in room 20 which I think is the best room in the reso...
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We only booked 3 days here not knowing if we would like it or just want to move on. After several days we decided it was the best place to stay and were fortunate that it was a quiet week and booked another 6 nights. Placencia is very remote and this place has 3 restaurants and a dive/tour shop. They said over Easter, you couldn't find a room anywhere and other places were icky and without A/C. Our room was great, a Mexican decor with local art thru out. A balcony with cozy adirondack chairs, a table and a hammock. The staff was amazing. The warmest and friendliest people we have ever met. Most the people on Placencia are friendly. They have a decent continental breakfast. The owners are hands on and I could go on and on about this place.

Room Tip: We paid for the budget room but asked to be moved to a room with the balcony facing the ocean for th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
Chabil Mar
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 12 in Hopkins
5.0 of 5 stars 418 reviews

Been to Robert's Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!