“Camping on the cayes was amazing” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Camping on the cayes was amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

On a previous trip to Belize we went to Caye Caulker and Ambergris, but this time I wanted to do something more off the beaten track and I wanted to see the outer cayes. We looked at Grover's Reef and Tobacco Caye, but they each had drawbacks. Then I came across the website for Saddle Caye South Kayaking and I thought, why not go kayak camping?

My husband and 15 year old daughter were less than enthusiastic about this idea (visions of bugs and sand in our tent). We were also planning to travel with another family (with 2 kids) and they also had doubts (what if we were unlucky with the weather?). However, I persevered, and the group eventually agreed, although my proposed 5 nights was whittled down to 2 nights.

We have done a lot of kayak trips in the Pacific northwest, but organizing a self-guided kayak trip with kids in a different country without all our own equipment presented logistical challenges. In the end, we decided to have a boat take us out and take a couple of kayaks along.

Sherry, who owns Saddle Caye South Kayaking, was wonderfully helpful and generous with her time. She exchanged so many emails with us as we planned our trip, and was never impatient with all our questions. She arranged a boat and captain for us and rented us the kayaks and camping equipment - all at a reasonable price.

When we arrived in Belize and met Sherry, we were amazed that she has limited mobility and directs her operation often from a wheelchair! She apparently took over the business from her son-in-law. As a result, Sherry is not very knowledgeable about kayaking and the equipment - but she offsets this by marketing only to experienced kayakers. The equipment Sherry has ranges from okay to very good, so I would recommend selecting the equipment yourself and checking that everything is there, which Sherry had no problem with us doing.

What Sherry is knowledgeable about is the locals. She arranged two guides for us - one (named Ian) to take us on a day trip to Monkey River, and a second (Rico) to take us on our camping trip to the Silk Cayes. They were both excellent.

We really enjoyed Rico (who is trained kayak guide). He took us fishing and showed us how to cook the barracuda we caught Belizean style. If you are doing a guided kayak trip, I recommend asking for him.

Our 2 nights on the Silk Cayes was like a travel brochure come to life. We had an islet with palm trees and sandy beaches all to ourselves. It was an idyllic paradise. And the snorkelling was stunning.

In the end, this was my daughter's favourite part of the trip (and we did some other amazing things, like the ATM trail). We all wished that we could have spent another night.

Visited March 2011