We were at the Sunrise house for 7 days and really enjoyed our stay. The guys that were there for general maintenance and to act as security guards were more than kind, helpful and a joy to be around.
We arrived in Belize City around 4pm picked up our rental car and drove about 3 hours or so to the Maine Stay. There are few signs marking the way and often in the dark you are on them before you know it. There were a couple of times we had to turn around to look at the signs to make sure we were heading in the right direction. We had looked on line to see if we should drive and were a bit skeptical...but the roads were paved and in great shape the entire way. You do need to use caution when you come to the speed bumps (called the silent policeman) because they are massive and you can not take them at even 5mph.
When we arrived at the Maine Stay we were warmly welcomed and Karen gave us the lay of the land and made some recommendations that were spot on. The house was clean and simple exactly what we had hoped for. The bed was comfortable, the towels large and new. The grounds were perfectly kept up and we woke to find that we were feet away from a pristine beach. The entire stay we saw 3 or 4 people twice on the dock, if you are looking for a secluded getaway this is the perfect spot.
We used the kayaks, rode the bikes and had an amazing time. My wife would get up every morning and swim "laps" in the water that was as smooth as glass. Later in the afternoon, when it would get hotter, the breeze would come up and keep us cool. Just amazing. We did not have any bugs or other issues. It was great having a washer and dryer in the house.
The oscars were on when we were there and it was the only time the TV was on, we were surprised to find there were broadcasts from the us...almost all the stuff we have at home. But my advice would be to leave that box off...too much to see and do while you are there.
I would happily say this place was darn near perfect.
- Also Known As:
- The Maine Stay Cabanas Hotel
- The Maine Stay Cabanas Hotel Placencia
- The Maine Stay Cabanas Belize/Placencia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Two beautiful cabana suites... each having a kitchen/dining cabana (with sleeping area) and a bedroom cabana (with laundry). Each suite has two bathrooms. Each suite has two cabanas connected by a pergola covered deck - perfect for alfresco dining and barbecuing. Although very affordable for one couple, each cabana suite will comfortably sleep six. Perfect for two couples traveling together or for children in a separate cabana. Very toddler friendly with gated decks fenced yard. ... more less