“Best Restaurant in Belize” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Placencia
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Contemporary, Bistro
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Description: We're certainly far from perfect, but we do try our best to create a winning experience for every single customer, whether they are hotel guests, Belizean neighbors or travelers staying at other hotels. Try pairing small plates with wines, choose from our creative main courses, or just enjoy some comfort food for breakfast or lunch. It's fun for us to meet new people and, well, just make them happy! Our casual beach bistro focuses on unique sauces and contemporary, tropical-themed flavor combinations while maintaining comfortable portions. Lots of fish and seafood. Bar service includes an 80-bottle wine list, local beer, rum drinks, and house specials. The outdoor atmosphere is casual so you can be comfortable in flip flops. Belize's "Restaurant of the Year" award was presented twice to the Bistro in June 2011 and May 2013.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best Restaurant in Belize”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I ate at the Bistro every day for 2 weeks. The food was fantastic: fresh, creative and attractively served. We never tired of the menu. The mixed drinks list was so extensive, I never made it through the list. The owners prepared special request meals and drinks. The bar tender even picked a coconut for a rum drink that required coconut water. My grandson fell in love with their chocolate souffle.

Iowa
“A Number One Can't Miss Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

We were here as hotel guests in Mid-March 2010. Our room was average, but our meals were some of the best we have ever had. 1.) Roasted Pumpkin Green Chile Soup. 2.) Nut encrusted Red Snapper. 3.) Butter Brickle Ice Cream Pie. They do make changes to their menu, but I am pretty sure these items will remain consistant. We had almost every meal here and almost everything on their menu and it was ALL a winner. Their staff was nice and polite to us. Auvi, Oscar, Tony, Becky,Odette especially. The owners need to be commended for hiring some of the nicest people we met while on the peninsula.

New Mexico
“I love food, so does this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

In fact, I love food so much that it's one of the main indicators of how much I wind up enjoying a vacation. Needless to say, when I was looking into going to Belize, the reviews on this website helped steer me towards staying at the Maya Beach Hotel, in large part (though not completely) due to the rave reviews of the restaurant. I figured that if a place could run a restaurant well, then they probably ran other aspects of their business well. Happily, that assumption proved to be correct.

Back to the food. The owners of Maya Beach Hotel Bistro love food as much as I do. They had some great and unique ideas about combining tastes, and everything we got was at least "good." Most of what we got was "great." The food was so good, that it made us fear going somewhere else to eat. I probably tried 75% of the dinner entrees during my time there, and a similar amount of the appetizers. I think I ordered the fish cakes (a Thai dish, though that isn't specifically important to the owners) more than anyone else had in their history.

The menu covers a lot of territory: there are dishes that are clearly Asian influenced, and then there are things like ribs and chicken. Some dishes might be considered "fusion," though I came to understand that the owners do not like that word. The seafood dishes were probably the best on the whole- which seems appropriate when you're on a beach.

I'd make specific suggestions, but I think you should just order what looks good to you at the time. This it the type of place that is constantly evaluating their menu and coming up with new ideas, so I wouldn't be surprised if things change a little.

The staff was friendly and professional, though to be honest- we often chose to sit at the bar. It's a great place to sit and chat with lots of interesting people: vacationers and locals alike.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
denver, co
“Some of the best food in the WORLD!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I cannot even give you the best thing on the menu that I ate because everything I ate was fabulous! I stayed at the hotel (which was also amazing), so I ate nearly all my meals there. I actually contemplated cancelling my dive trip on the last day so I could eat two additional meals there - I wanted to try everything (they offered me "to go" home made cinnamon rolls though). For green chili lovers... they have the real stuff here!! I was actually surprised at the wide wine selection they had considering the difficultiy getting good wines in that area.

San Francisco, CA
“Best restaurant on the penninsula.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

The Maya Beach Hotel Bistro is by far the best restaurant experience we have had so far on the peninsula. We have gone for both breakfast and lunch and both times have left wholly satisfied and amazed by the quality. The classics are done well my eggs benedict had perfectly poached eggs and english muffin was crisp and buttery. I would have to reccomend the shrimp po boy served in a fry jack with a great mildly spicy sauce which you can get with either fries or caesar salad for no additional charge. Overall i enjoyed the food and atmosphere each time i dined at this location I suppose my only complaint would have to be the slow service and the fact that the second time we were there they ran out of ice tea before we got our refill, I mean how do you run out of ice tea at a resort at 11 in the morning.