“Mixed feelings...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dangriga
Oakland, California, United States
“Mixed feelings...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was here for the Garifuna festival (Settlement Day)-I began making my reservation 3wks before arrival. That experience left me a bit frustrated. The communication between email and phone calls was a challenge-there was no response when emailing, and placed on extended hold when calling Ugh! Then they sent me a email requesting information which was beyond what is needed to secure a room without a secure server. I did not submit it. That said this a family run hotel. When we arrived there was, nor was there ever anyone at the desk. There is a sign above the desk that says to ring the bell for assistance HOWEVER there is no bell...inside. The bell they are referring to is outside, 3-4ft to the right of the entrance, behind some plants, about 5.5ft up, on a wall...okay! The first room we were given had a leak in the bathroom-from the tub, not the toilet and the door knob to it was broken. We were reluctantly moved to an upstairs room, with a broken shower head, or rather no shower head and a temperamental tv remote control (but I didn't come to watch tv anyway). The beds with soiled mattresses, no mattress pads and ill fitting sheets were a bit unsettling-I slept on top of the covers with my own personal blanket. Miss. Eleanor, appeared to me to be more focused on finance than insuring a comfortable stay-her husband and wonderful, wonderful sons just the opposite. Mind you this is not the cheapest hotel in the area.

Let me now get to what was totally right with this place-location, views, the staff.

1block to the water, 2blocks to everything else. The view from the roof was amazing and a very cool place to relax, read, eat and drink. The hotel is structured like dormitory so you have interaction with other guest which was nice but also allows for privacy. The cleaning staff was EXCELLENT! Despite the short comings of the room, they kept it clean, clean, clean. Lastly, the owner's sons are some of the nicest young men you want to meet-helpful and polite.

I will be returning to Dangriga-for the price this would not be my first choice but I would not totally rule it out. In spite of the cons it has it has a quirky charm.

Room Tip: I would avoid a ground room floor, higher floors are quieter with views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Worldboss_cj, Director of Sales at Chaleanor Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Around November (Garifuna Settlement Day) the staff becomes quiet busy and only the General Manager is responsible for reservation, so sorry for your frustration with the communication. The Manager is then responsible for all financial maters and due to our pass experiences bookings were made and people did not show up, people booked for two nights promise to pay the second day and leave the 1day without paying. Therefore we are force to execute our reservation Policies. That attention bell that you were referring to in the lobby was taken down for repairs. The complaint for the first room was addressed immediately, and now since we are aware of the complaint for the second room we will see if that has bin addressed.

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I arrived in Dangriga two days before Settlement Day, and I stayed at the Chalenor for three nights. I was a little put off that was the minimum requirement when other guests had only a two night minimum, but the value was good.

For $26 BZE, I received a simple room with a bed and a fan. But it was comfy and after 12 days of no sleep, I was finally able to get several nights of much needed rest. Room service was excellent. They made sure I had fresh towels and cleaned my room every day. On the third day, they changed my sheets.

My only complaints were the wi-fi connection was horrible from my room. At one point, the router shut off completely giving my computer a "not connected" signal (which is different than a faint signal just disappearing). The other complaint was my room wasn't exactly secure while I was in it. The latch didn't fit, so I had to jerry-rig it to keep it from being opened. I didn't hear any complaints about the other rooms, but if you stay in #16, you may want to ask for a different one.

Despite that, I did feel safe. The staff was friendly, and they provide free water refills. If you want to get away from the hostel scene, this is the place to go to get some sleep.

Room Tip: As mentioned in the review, avoid #16. I would assume that the Internet connection is probably bette...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Chaleanor Hotel? Share your experiences!