“Wow!!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Plum Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dangriga
Coco Plum Island Resort
You added Coco Plum Island Resort to your Saves list
Coco Plum Caye, Dangriga, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dangriga
Pamplico, South Carolina
“Wow!!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Coco Plum May 19 through May 24, 2007. We found it to be just as the website and Michelle described.

Our cabana was comfortable, clean, and cool. It was my understanding it was one of the newer ones, and it was far enough away from the bar so we could not hear the music at night. It was very tastefully decorated yet simple enough not to be fussy. The island was immaculate. It was raked each day so there was no debris from trees, etc. The food was great. I had requested two food substitutions and the staff made those substitutions available to me. I forgot to request decaf coffee and all that was available was regular coffee. The fruit was wonderful and on more than one occasion, I asked for more. No problem. We did not have a bad meal while we were there. The potato salad is the best you will ever eat! What can I say about the staff? Everyone was so very warm and accomodating. They did everything they could to make our stay relaxing and peaceful. So to Olivia, Linda, Jose, Robert, Steven, Darinton, Delsia, and all the others we did not meet "Thank You." Now the beach......OH MY GOODNESS! The water is so warm and wonderful. We went to the end of the island to the cove, and the water is knee deep. Stayed there all day one day! We took our floats so we lay on the floats and drifted for hours. We found a wonderful place to snorkel at the far end of the next cay. The water is a little deeper and the fish were around the pilings which have been placed upright in the water. The best place to snorkel is where a tree is leaning almost on the water in the same area. There is a small beach/cove and there are lots of small fish around and under the tree. If you decide to walk and not kayak, we suggest wearing sturdy shoes with no drain holes in the bottom. The grass or whatever is very dry and can get up in your shoe as you walk. Those little sticky ends hurt if they stick in your foot!!!!! Tipping....they have prepared a list and it is in the room. We found it to be reasonable, and we tipped accordingly. There are no televisions, telephones, or newspapers, so if you need current events (as we do), it would be a good idea to take your cell phone if you plan to stay on the island during the whole trip. We went into town one day and managed to find out what was happening in the world on that day. Gotta have that news!!! We met some really nice people from California, Louisiana, and Missouri (you know who you are) and some others from I don't know where. The island accomodates fourteen people, so if you want to retain your anonymity, go somewhere else. Be sure to take BUG SPRAY. Those little black bugs can be pesky. To sum up....we really enjoyed our vacation. We would go there again.

Gordon and Dot Morgan
Pamplico, SC

• Liked — Quiet,relaxing,not crowded, Beach
  • Disliked — No news
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
central new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

if you are looking for getaway with the essentials of good daily living, this is it. it's an island, off the coast of belize, 30 minutes by boat ride. talk about secluded, nice. we didn't touch our own luggage once we landed in dangriga, cocoplum staff took care of it all. we came to love them for thier sincere, laid back disposition. really a pleasure to be around the island mentality. the island itself was unpretensious, well maintained, and beautiful. watch out for that belizian sun, SPF35 or better, no kidding around. the basics were available for excursions, snorkling, kayaking, ect. but honestly, we didn't want to leave the island. although, we did fish everyday, bring your own equipment as thier is NO tackle available. we brought 2, 7' medium heavy one piece outfits, with 12# strung, plus sinkers. steven will catch all the bait you need, just ask, he was happy to do it. the bar was well stocked and headed up by a snappy personality, drinks available whenever you want. no children. lots of honeymooners, if you consider 12 people a lot. the food was a mild mix of belizian and american, eggs for breakfast, chicken, pork, beef or fish for lunch and dinner. thier homemade breads were fantastic and thier side salads were terrific too!! the cabanas were quaint and ...CLEAN...EVERYDAY!!! Along with a great air conditioner. just a great vacation. we bought another night, we didn't want to leave. between the island and the staff of cocoplum, we give it 41/2 stars out of five.

• Liked — comfortable with a/c
  • Disliked — biting flys
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

We just returned from our Honeymoon on Coco Plum and had a fabulous time! The staff was absolutely top notch! As a previous note from management noted, they are 100% Belizean staffed which is wonderful. All are warm, friendly, and eager to please! It's great to be at a resort that's not a mini-america, although all the guests were american.

When we arrived directly after our wedding we were tired, a bit sick from a lingering cold, and just needed a rest. Many other couples on the island weren't really all that friendly- one couple was downright snotty, which is stinky considering the fact that you do interact with everyone at least a little. With our first full day on the island hampered by bad weather (wind and rain) and the primary choice of activity being lounging on my veranda with a book, I questioned my choice. But Shane, the bartender, said EVERY DAY.. "tell me what I can do to make you happy"... and he truly meant it!

With the weather calming, and a change of guests, the tides turned. From then on, we did something every day, from AMAZING SNORKELING to inland hikes. The rest of the days were spent wading around in the clear,warm water, reading books, having a beer at the bar, etc. By the end, we didn't want to leave the island, our wonderful cabana, and our many new friends, both guests and staff.

THINGS TO NOTE:
FOOD: I tend to agree with the folks who though it wasn't that good. It's not. (although a few meals were fabulous, and a few were terrible). Belizean food isn't known for being that good and coco plum is no exception. We brought snacks but rarely ate them on the island- the meals were always plentiful enough. The snacks are handy on the mainland though! (Packed lunches are a sandwich, 2 cookies and some fruit, plus soda and beer)

ACTIVITIES: BE FLEXIBLE. They are not a big operation and everyone does have to work together. (for example, you may have to snorkel in the morning if the boats are busy picking up guests in the afternoon). In general, keep asking if you want to do a certain tour and they will accomodate. Plan ahead for inland tours, but snorkels can be discussed at breakfast.

ALL-INCLUSIVE ASPECTS: Unlike many other all-inclusive resorts, they include what's advertised with few hidden expenses. Our bar tab at the end of the week was $88- and over half of that was buying drinks for the staff at the bar. (We did leave tips as well)

STAFF: WONDEFUL! their staff is allowed to drink with the guests. It may seem odd at first, but when you're out there, everyone is family! On nice days, you may find the staff joining you for a boat trip to the other keys for a snorkel, or borrowing a book to read on the beach. No matter what posititon, the staff is friendly and aims to please. (in fact, I think that's why the food isn't so great, no one has the heart to tell such sweet people that their lunch wasn't good!) While the service is great, it's not great in the "worship the customer" manner... rather your are treated hospitably as a family member would be. My special thanks to Olivia, Seth (local character), Jose, Derenton, and SHANE .

BUGS: we got EATEN ALIVE at some point. We went into the jungle as well as being on the island so I'm not sure when it happened. One of the best things I packed was a combo sunscreen/bug spray (avon). Bring many bottles. Obviously I didn't apply enough- I think it was the evenings.

SHOWERS: yes, they are a bit different. Many people were showering in cold water, but I think it was more from not figuring out the system. I had warm or hot showers every day, although the pressure is not great.

POWER: The power does not run 24 hours a day but we found it to be on more than they advertised. It was never a problem not to have it. (it's off in the middle of the night and sometimes late afternoon)

BRING: Bug spray, fishing gear, kite, extra sunglasses, sarongs, books, games, snacks, plenty of clean shorts and t-shirts,.
DON'T BRING: bad attitudes, high heels, nice clothes. Beach towels are provided, so save that luggage space for something else.

• Liked — Friendly staff and gorgeous island
  • Disliked — so-so food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Cotati, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

My family spent Christmas 2006 at Coco Plum and loved every minute of it. My husband and I and our two children (ages 2 & 4) spent 7 nights at Coco Plum along with my parents and sister and her husband. On the last day my son told me he wanted to live on the island!

The island was beautiful, staff friendly and food delicious! As we prepared for our visit, I was a little anxious about bringing the young kids but it worked out perfectly. The water was so shallow that my son (4 years old) could walk out to pier and still not have the water over his shoulders. This was a blessing for us as parents to have a safe environment to swim in. We loved kayaking around the island and looking for giant starfish! We opted not to bring any portable DVD players and I am happy we left them at home. Our kids spent the morning watching pelicans dive for fish, spent the days swimming and exploring the island and then raced all of the hermit crabs walking in the sand at night. We brought card games and some small toys but the kids were thrilled with the island itself.

The best part of the trip was that with 3 families we each could do our own thing. You could go on the snorkeling or inland adventures, relax in your hammock with a pina colada (thanks Irwin), take a swim or just sit on the dock and take in the beauty! As we were there with 4 additional couples throughout our visit we really did not see each other except at happy hour before dinner to talk about our days and during meals. The island is big enough that everyone has his or her own quiet spot.

Things to bring: We had headlamps and they worked great as it gets dark at night when you are heading back to your cabana. We also had good bug spray and really didn’t get bit that much. Other wise slip on sandals and comfy clothes and you are good to go!

Thanks to all of the staff that made the trip so great!

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — Having to go home
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2007

We found Coco Plum on a whim. A Google Search led us there. It sounded like the perfect place for us. Turns out it is! We would go back in a heartbeat. I was looking for a special place to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and now it is a birthday he will never forget. The staff was wonderful! Each and every one of them went out of thier way to acccomadate us. They even prepared a special birthday cake. The food was delicious. We were never hungry. When I read other reviews, I am not sure how anyone could complain! All you have to do is ask and the staff will try to provide whatever you want, whenever you want it. We went snorkeling 4 times - different locations and all fantastic. Took one inland tour to see the Mayan Ruins. It was an all day adventure but it was awesome and the staff catered to us all day. Exploring the beautiful country of Belize, full of friendly, down to earth, wonderful people, staying on a warm, tropical island with just a handful of other visitors, excellent food, clean private cabanas, a private beach, snorkeling, inland adventures. It was perfect.
Thanks to everyone who made our stay specail. The staff - Alton, Raymond, Shane, Seth, Robert, Steve, Nancy, and everyone else. And thanks to the other vacationers, Craig and Janel,-the newleyweds, John and Stacy, Dale and Kimberly, and everyone else!

Stayed February 2007
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

Cocoplum was everything that we dreamed of for our honeymoon. The island was beautiful and offered just the right amount of privacy. The food was always fresh and delicious. I am a picky eater but I ate and enjoyed almost all the food that I was served for all meals. The drinks were very tasty and included yummy fresh fruit.
There were lots of fish swimming around the docks so bring a fishing rod if you like to fish. There are also kayaks available to explore the area. We enjoyed seeing crabs, pelicans, magnificant frigates, needle fish, and barracuda in and around the island and we also met Winston the resident crocodile.

• Liked — privacy and seclusion
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
lexington, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

We just got back from a 4 night stay at Coco Plum. We began our trip inland, and then made our way to Placencia, and then to Coco Plum. I must say, we saved the best for last. The island, water, beaches, and atmosphere are all beautiful. The cabanas are clean and the beds are comfortable. There is plenty of room to spread out, and all have a nice porch with beautiful sea views. The staff could not have been friendlier. Everyone bent over backwards to make sure that our stay was perfect. Within minutes, all the staff knew our names, and were making us feel right at home. They have had a recent turnover of most staff, so I am not sure if there were problems prior, but all the staff that we met were wonderful. We decided not to do an inland tour since we had just spent a few days inland, but we did take two trips snorkeling and it was great! The staff let us use the jet ski in place of an inland tour. The food was PRETTY good. Nothing was bad, but we were expecting a lot more seafood. Out of 4 dinners we had fish only once and it was fried. The other meals consisted of spare ribs, pork chops, and bbq chicken. We had one fish pasta for lunch, but the rest of the lunches were always sandwiches or hamburger. There was fruit, but not an overwhelming amount. A small plate before each meal with a few slices of banana, a slice or two of papaya, and maybe a few slices of something else. Breakfasts were always good and served with fresh juice. The showers are not at all hot, not really even warm, but it was always so warm out that it didn't matter too much. We really were only truley dissapointed that there were 25 guests on the island our first two nights. There were 6 adults and 9 children in 3 of the cabanas. This made meals sound like a junior high cafeteria--not quite what I was expecting, but the other two nights gave us a feel for what is probably more typical. OVERALL....great staff, decent food, absolutely gorgeous setting.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — more guests than advertised
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cpmanager, Administrative Manager at Coco Plum Island Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2007
We are so glad that our guests from Kentucky appreciated the beauty and tranquility of Coco Plum, the attentiveness of the staff, and the cleanliness and spaciousness of the cabanas. We do however; feel the need to address the issues raised by our friends. We are not an overcrowded resort. We are a very small, intimate, hands-on resort. We generally cater to honeymooners and couples who want to vacation on a romantic, private island. However, in February (during their stay) we had a very unusual occurrence. There were three families with children vacationing together. As we are not an “adults only” resort, we did not want to turn down these families who hoped to share the beauty of Belize with their children. It has been our experience that families tend to stay with us primarily during the holidays: Christmas, Easter, and spring break. Our February schedule this year was a true departure for us. In fact, we have only three families booked during the entire month of March 2007 and four families during April 2007, the remainder of the bookings are couples. Because we are not an exclusionary resort, we will continue to open our doors to both families and couples. When you book your stay with us we will be happy to let you know who your island-mates will be! We do deeply regret that our friends from KY had to spend two out of four nights on the island during this anomalous period.

In terms of the food, we regret any expectation not met. We only wish that our guests had let the cook know they wanted more seafood (or more of anything). The cooks would have been more than willing to accommodate them if at all possible. We really do try to combine local Belizean dishes with a few American favorites. Before arriving we ask that you let us know of any food allergies/preferences so that we can make the appropriate adjustments to our planned food shipment from the mainland.

The staff is truly wonderful at Coco Plum and we really appreciate the positive feedback about them. There had not been “problems” that lead to a “recent turnover of most of the staff.” Because we are a small resort and we allow guests to check-in and check-out on any day they choose, we must ask our staff to live on the island. Many have family on the mainland and unfortunately, they do sometimes choose to leave Coco Plum. The time away from their family can be difficult. The owner (a Belizean who loves his country) feels an obligation to hire a local staff because the unemployment rate is so high in Belize. We could hire non-Belizeans who would perhaps be prepared to be isolated but, this practice would take jobs away from the local Belizeans who desperately need employment. We know that guests adore the warm, friendly people of Belize and we want to make this part of your vacationing adventure.

We would also like to mention that the tourist industry in southern Belize is in its infancy right now. As a result, vacationing in the area requires a letting go of any kind of sanitized, rigid, over-scheduled, approach to travel in favor of a warm, carefree, rich, experience! Just keep in mind that you are traveling to a foreign country whose customs and modern conveniences are not as advanced as those in the states. If you find any of our customs or modern conveniences difficult to navigate we will be happy to do whatever we can to make your getaway to Coco Plum Island Resort as enjoyable as possible.

The management of Coco Plum Island Resort

Been to Coco Plum Island Resort? Share your experiences!