“Best Vacation to Date!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Plum Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dangriga
Coco Plum Island Resort
You added Coco Plum Island Resort to your Saves list
Coco Plum Caye, Dangriga, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Dangriga
Dallas, Texas
“Best Vacation to Date!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Although this review is almost a year overdue, this vacation was memorable that the gap in time doesn't matter.

Initially, I stumbled upon this resort looking for something unique, private, tropical, all-inclusive and affordable for our honeymoon. Coco Plum met and exceeded all of those criteria.

We originally planned to get married in Las Vegas but quickly altered our plans once we realized it was cheaper to get married on the island. How can you beat that? Furthermore, they were even able to cater to us by offering a secular ceremony :-). That isn't even easily obtainable in our own country (we live in Texas).

Staff was excellent!!! In general, the people of Belize are very warm and relaxed. Special props to Byron.

Cabanas were clean, comfortable and as private as advertised. Nothing beat walking out the door to the ocean each morning. Food was very decent and filled us up. No complaints. However, if you're the type that gets excited by the phrase "all you can eat" or "buffet", you won't be impressed. Local beer is very decent. Also, if you go on any of the excursions, they will stop and Dangriga and let you purchase fruit (bananas recommended) to make special drinks at the island bar.

Beach was fine and although I was super paranoid about "noseeum's", I got maybe one bug bite the whole time and quit using bug spray after the first day. Bring water shoes to walk over to the neighboring islands - also - don't buy cheap ones (like we did) or you'll end up with blisters.

Loved the Mayan ruins tour and hike at wildlife sanctuary. Don't miss out on those. I didn't like the snorkeling, but that was more of a personal preference than the quality of the tour.

Our wireless internet worked fine from the red cabana (which is one of the farthest from the office/bar area). We brought a laptop to check the news and watch movies at night.

Our wedding was awesome and exactly what we wanted - very initimate low key. At our request, they even had drummers! Probably the best part was dinner on the beach in the same spot we got married.

Bottom line - if you're looking to just hang out and relax with few diversions, this is for you. All you need is a minimal amount of clothes, sunscreen and books.

Thank you Coco Plum for making our wedding and honeymoon so awesome. We will be back within the next few years.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We had a great time!

It took us a couple of weeks to come down from our 10 day vacation at Coco Plum Island Resort. I believe all our expectations were met or exceeded. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was excellent, and the cabanas were comfortable. The excursions were fun and informative. A shout out to some of the staff; Lyndon our bartender who kept our drink glasses full, Andres for his outstanding service as our waiter and fill-in bartender; Miss Susan and Miss Gloria for the great dishes they created; Robert our boat captain, who got us to and from safely and on-time; Crispin our snorkeling guide who showed us the undersea wonders; the grounds staff, Austin, George, Erik, and Rahjew. Please excuse the spelling of your names. They kept the grounds immaculate, helped us with our things, had the most enjoyable conversations, and even provided me with island guided fishing (Thanks Rahjew); Byron, our knowledgeable inland guide who showed us Mayan ruins, the jungle wildlife preserve, and a pretty good place to get ice cream. We observed and realized that Coco Plum doesn’t run itself. We credit that to their manager Richard. He was attentive (despite his workload) and let us know all that was going on. I also wanted to thank my fly fishing guide Steve. We never hooked up on that permit, but he put me on fish and I did manage to hook and land several bonefish. All in all, we would highly recommend Coco Plum Resort. It was not a high frills type resort, which we did not want, but it was comfortable and relaxing. I should mention also that the guests also made for a great trip. Most of them were newlyweds. Congratulations and good luck to all of you.

Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

If you are looking for a quiet getaway that is able to completely revive your mind, body, and soul, this is the place for you.

My husband and I don't like a lot of people so this was perfect for us. I will touch on a few of the important points:

STAFF: AMAZING! Mr. Crispin is your snorkel guide and is an all-around GREAT guy! He'll get in the water with you, point out things you would never see on your own, and is always similing. He made the snorkeling trips a major highlight of our trip. Raymond was our waiter all week and always served us with a smile and was polite and very nice. He made mealtimes a true joy. Andrew is the manager there and for being the newbie on the island he does an amazing job of keeping things running smoothly.

ROOMS: I consider myself a motel snob. These rooms exceeded my standards for cleanliness. They are literally squeaky clean. They actually MOP your deck every day so it is clean too! Don't be expecting an expensive marble bathroom here...this is necessities only in the bathroom.

BEACH: The beach area is combed every day. It is beautiful but is not the soft powdery stuff you see other places. It is clean and beautiful...that is what mattered to us.

FOOD: I honestly don't know how someone could write a bad review on the food. Miss Sue is the cook and EVERYTHING we ate was amazing. This is by far the best food we have EVER had on vacation...but do yourself a favor. Go with an open mind. There are only 20 people on this island when it is full. She cooks one thing for supper. If you are a picky eater let them know ahead of time EVERYTHING you don't eat so they can accomodate you...or better yet...find a sense of adventure and try the food anyway...chances are, you will love it. She is an amazing cook!

The resort is top-notch. We loved it. The local air flight getting there was a mess. Don't expect timely departure either from Belize City to Dangriga or Dangriga to Belize City. The company we traveled with was completely unorganized...we waited three and a half hours to get a flight to Dangriga and on the way to Belize City (when we had a connecting flight) our flight out of Dangriga was an hour late...word to the wise...plan extra time....a lot of extra time.

By the way...this is the best snorkeling we have ever experienced. We also did the "Discover Scuba" class which was well worth it. My husband and I decided we are going to get certified and return to Belize again...the diving was THAT good! Steve is the Dive Master there and he's going to open his own shop in Tobacco Caye in February...he was a great instructor if you find yourself there, you might look him up if you would like a dive guide or for some great instruction. :)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

My wife and I traveled to Coco Plum for our Honeymoon and could not have selected a better resort. We had five nights at Coco Plum followed by four nights traveling the country via rental car. So it was important that the first half of our honeymoon be as relaxing and enjoyable as possible as we were off for an adventure upon leaving.
After a fun 30 min flight from Belize City to Dangriga (on a very small plane!) we were driven to meet Captain Robert for the 20 min or so boat ride to the island. We new as we headed out to sea with an amazing sunset lighting up the sky behind us that this was going to be amazing!
Upon arrival we were met by Byron and some of the other staff and guests and were immediately offered a tropical cocktail. Our luggage was immediately taken to our cabana and we were left to unwind and meet some of the other guests and simply take in the warm breeze and unbelievable setting.

Without writing 5 pages of how great our stay was (because I could) I will simply thank all of the staff especially Byron, Raymond (who makes every meal a five star experience), Capt. Robert, Miss Sue (the meals were fantastic), George (climbing a palm tree and giving everyone a coconut to drink!) Crispin (for the best snorkeling!), Rigo (our bartender who told the funniest stories and really made the bar hilarious) and truly everyone else on the island that makes it amazing! A special thanks has to be said to Byron who runs the show. He really is an amazing guy that makes sure that everything is perfect. And a very special thank you to Raymond who took care of our private honeymoon dinner. It was a very special night and you really took care of us!

From our arrival to departure we could not wait to write our review. We have made friends with the guests and the staff that will be remembered forever. We hope to return as soon as we can and hope that nothing changes on Coco Plum- It was perfect!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

Let me statrt this off by saying the my wife and I had never traveled outside of the US befor this trip so we were very nervous. I had done an obsurd amount of research on Coco Plum and the surrounding areas, so I thought I knew what I was getting into, but words can not describe the experience we had. From the sunset boat ride from Dangriga to the island on the first night, to climbing the ruins, to the final boat ride away from the island, everything was perfect.

The cabanas were very clean and kept that way every day. The guys that painstakingly rake the island from sun up to sun down to a great job, especially George, aka Teddy Bear. Raymond's service at all 3 meals is top notch. Miss Sue's food is to die for (The last thing I expected on the island was a full on Thanksgiving dinner!). Robert driving those boats through swells that I would have never gone out in myself. Crispin is the best fishing and snorkeling guide around. And Byron making sure that we were always comfortable and always had everything we needed, be it from the bar or the mainland!

I titled this review "Life Changing Experience" for a reason. The resort was beautiful and the service was top notch, but I think what we came away from this plave, and this country with, are friends. The people are incredibly friendly, not just on the island but everywhere. To everyone we met at Coco Plum Island Resort, thank you for opening your island and your hearts to us. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

A great little secret nestled off the coast of Belize! Well orginized from the arrival to departure. Staffed with the greatest, most caring and warm individuals. Wonderful place for alone time, but yet there are plenty of great get aways for fun and adventure. I plan a return trip already!

Brockville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Coco Plum was the most amazing place we have ever been... There are no worries about anything there. An experienced and attentive staff, from the manager down to the help who maintain the island, everything is unbelievable. There are no keys... and you don't have to worry about anything. Meals were second to none, and the ameneties on the island were fabulous. The inland tours were well arranged, and our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable about everything we went to see...
To put it quickly, if you want an adventure, then Coco Plum is the place to go!
Fishing, snokeling, diving, hiking, culture. It is all at Coco Plum!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangriga
Thatch Caye Resort
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 12 in Hopkins
5.0 of 5 stars 420 reviews

Been to Coco Plum Island Resort? Share your experiences!