“Wonderful Experience in Belize” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Plum Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dangriga
Coco Plum Island Resort
You added Coco Plum Island Resort to your Saves list
Coco Plum Caye, Dangriga, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dangriga
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Wonderful Experience in Belize”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My parents had been to Coco Plum a few years ago and decided to take my step brother and I with them this last November 2012. What a wonderful experience! From the moment we stepped foot on the island, all the staff spoke to us by names and were incredibly friendly. We stayed in the biggest cabin on the island, and it was AMAZING, complete with our own dock. Miss Sue cooked delicious food and we were never hungry! The bartenders Sergio and Lio were the best and kept everything lively. The best part of the trip was meeting all the amazing guests on the island - by the end of the week, I feel like we had made 10 new friends of all different ages.
The excursions were awesome! Cave tubing, ziplining, and exploring ruins. They also offered snorkeling, fishing, and all kinds of other awesome things.
I would love to go back to Coco Plum every year! I would absolutely recommend this place to families and couples!

Room Tip: The cabins farther away from the main bar are quieter. All the cabins are nice though.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Decorah, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have traveled to many tropical locations, but Coco Plum is where we want to return. It is a magical place, where the only agenda is having a fun, relaxing, laid-back vacation. The private island sprinkled with cabanas surrounded by beautiful clear water is wonderful. The snorkeling and other adventures will not disappoint. The dining and bar are terrific. We really enjoyed the seafood dishes, especially the stuffed lobster and conch Creole. The local drinks like watermelon bliss, coco colada, and mosquito bite are outstanding. But what really makes Coco Plum special is the people who work there. We had some great conversations and laughed until it hurt and I am happy to call them friends. Never have I had such an amazing group of people to vacation with. Sergio, Ervin, and Bella made every day and night fun, and Jude (who didn't even hesitate when I asked for help with gluten-free dining- I did bring some of my own breads), Rudy, Renee, Crispin, Steve, Rojo, Bryon, Samuel....there are others who I met briefly or whose names I did not catch, but I will next time. These people are SO good at what they do. The only bad things I can say is that I can't go back right now and the week went too fast. We will be going again next year and I hope too see all those beautiful people again!

Cave Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Coco Plum for our 10th wedding anniversary, and had a great time. I'm going to try and not repeat what others have said here in order to provide some additional insight and answer some questions I was wondering when booking Coco Plum.

In general, we were way busier than most couples... kayaking, snorkeling, fishing, etc. We didn't really sit around that much. So, Coco Plum can be what you make it! Despite some of my comments below, we had an awesome time and loved Belize.

SERVICE
The service is what shines at Coco Plum, for sure. The entire staff really makes you feel special, and seem to actually like hanging out with the guests when they are not working! Everyone goes above and beyond trying to ensure that you have everything you need. If you want to go fishing, snorkeling, whatever... all you need to do is ask and the management and staff will accomodate you. Steve was SO amazing, he really made our snorkeling & fishing trips memorable! Service - 5 Stars.

CABANA
We stayed in Beaches, which is 2 cabanas from the bar. Absolutely NO issues with noise. The only people who would possibly be bothered by noise is *perhaps* if you were in the first cabana closest to the bar. I was surprised at how many people used their A/C full time. We turned ours off the second we arrived and left it off the 5 days we were there. Who would not want to hear and feel the ocean breezes? Our cabana, unfortunately, was not one of the remodeled ones. It was a little dark, and the bathroom needs some serious updating. Our shower door wouldn't close and the water was always spraying all over the bathroom floor, making a mess. The drain had a sharp piece sticking up that you had to watch out for otherwise you would cut your foot. Not to be underestimated - the water was always hot! The safe never worked, but it wasn't a big deal because there cannot possibly be any theft, because there's nowhere to go. Someone mentioned that they had cold water in their cabana, but ours was room temp storage thing (again, old cabana). We just got ice at the bar for our water bottles that we brought. Cabana was always kept clean, swept & service was great. However, I would say that our location was probably the best on the island due to its close proximity to the bar and water. Some cabanas are set much farther back from the water... ours was right on it. Cabana - Solid 3 stars.

SNORKELING
We brought shorty wetsuits and our own snorkel gear. Several people on our snorkel trips had mask issues, so I was thankful I brought my own instead of having to use the resort's. It was also nice to have the buoyancy and warmth from the wetsuit. Tip to Coco Plum: Offer a 5 minute "snorkel intro" before getting into the boat. A lot of first timers don't practice first, and going out to a reef in rough water can be overwhelming if you don't know how to properly put on your mask and mouthpiece. The snorkeling was really fun - we saw tons of stingrays, large Triggerfish, starfish, nurse sharks, huge schools of Tarpon, eels, and way more. We went snorkeling as much as possible, both on the organized trips and around the islands nearby. Snorkeling - 5 Stars!

KAYAKING
Use sunscreen on your legs! Holy cow, I burned bad from the water rushing over my legs. We kayaked every day to bird island and the other islands nearby... was fun to explore. Kayaking - 5 stars!

FOOD & DRINK
Contrary to some of the other positive food reviews, the food was by far the biggest negative for us. We eat a lot of organic food, fresh fish, fresh fruit/veggies, and eat out at upscale restaurants. Out of 5 days, I would say that 2 meals could be rated "very good to excellent". The remaining 13 or so meals were average at best. A couple other reviews mentioned the lobster night - which should have been great - but the lobster was really overcooked and tough. Unfortunately, pretty much every fish meal we had was overcooked - which was SUCH a bummer because I could live on seafood. There was a lot of carb-y, white bread fillers with every meal... buns, white pasta, breading, etc. If you're accustomed to eating a fresh diet, heavier in protein or fresh fruits/veggies, it is a bit of an adjustment. Not to knock us midwesterners (I'm a west coast girl now), but this is a total carbohydrate heavy midwest buffet diet. I was pretty disappointed in the food.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but if you're looking for higher end food & wine, Coco Plum is not it. They have two (French?) wines to choose from - a Chard & a Cab - and even at $40 a bottle, both were undrinkable. We had to kayak across the way to Thatch Caye in order to purchase some decent wine (they have a wine list & you can purchase from their bar). Apparently there was some sort of lime shortage in Belize when we were there, so drink options were limited if you don't like sweet, mixed drinks... so I was stuck drinking beer (blech)... unless I kayaked across and got some wine. Coco Plum - people like us would pay a lot of money for decent wine if you carried it!! Food - 2 or 3 stars. This would easily be bumped up with a respectable wine list.

CLOTHING
I wished someone had posted more about the clothing! Ladies - all you need are sundresses and maybe light skirts/tees/tanks. NOTHING fancy. No wedges or fancy sandals. I wore nothing but 1 pair of white flip flops the whole time - even to dinner & the bar afterward. Maybe one set of earrings :-) One of my tank sundresses I wore pretty much the whole time. You need quick drying shorts - 2 pairs. I had stuff that didn't dry for days there. A sweater or jacket for evenings is nice when it's windy and cool.

CROWD / COMPANY
This was probably both the funniest and weirdest part about Coco Plum. We came mid-week, so all of the couples there had been hanging out for several days already, and it was a bit high schooly weird trying to blend in. Then after they left, a whole new crowd came in and we were left to welcome them. The second group that came in contained a large group that came together and partied pretty hard, so we didn't really hang out with them. I think a big part of the experience is who you end up on the island with, since you're pretty much forced to hang out with whoever is there unless you want to be a recluse in your cabana. Crowd/Company - Totally depends... 1 to 5 stars.

I kind of feel bad that this review sounds negative, because I am just hoping that it's intended to give prospective guests a more realistic view of CP than what I had when I booked the vacation. Despite the few issues mentioned here, we still LOVED our vacation and will remember it forever!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room if you can get it!!!
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

all of the reviews you have read are accurate...Coco Plum is as good as everyone says. The staff goes above and beyond to be kind and friendly to make your stay enjoyable. The food was wonderful...I being a vegetarian really enjoyed the food...there were a few meals that were just ok...but most were awesome (the breakfast burrito, cauliflower soup...WOW!!). My husband a meat eater loved every meal.
The snorkeling trips were amazing...Crispen our guide was very knowledgeable and pointed out alot of things even I (a marine scientist) didn't notice.
Thank you Sam, Miss Rene, and Bella you helped to make our honeymoon special...I hope you are able to solve the puzzle i left behind for you...
We are going to recommend Coco Plum to my cousin and his soon to be wife as a place for them to honeymoon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Decorah, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is our second trip to Coco Plum and once again it was wonderful. We stayed two nights longer this year and it still didn't seem long enough. The staff goes out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. Our cabana was spotless after the cleaning ladies left each day. I can not say enough good things about this resort. We have been to the Bahamas, Mexico, Aruba, Jamaica, Dominican, and many places in the US and not one of these compares to Coco Plum!!!

East End L.I. , N.Y.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I feel badly that I have not posted a review of this resort sooner. I still need to retrieve the photos from a filed memory card. We had bareboat chartered a catamaran out of Placencia, Belize in May 2011. One day we sailed up to Coco Plum Cay. The staff couldn't have been nicer in treating us to a tour of the island. A "destination wedding" group had just departed.
The beautiful wedding arch was still in place as was the board depicting all the lovely day trips available. The staff also provides games, events, and kayaks for your enjoment while on the island. There is a bird sanctuary cay a very short distance away for a little kayaking trip. The water is so very clear and warm. We enjoyed drinks at the large circular open air bar. The cook brought out some delicious banana bread. The dining areas are very nicely appointed and romantic. Pristine does not begin to describe this resort. Every inch of the sand was raked clean. It was clear that the staff would be very attentive to customizing a wonder experience for each guest. The brochure photos do not do the resort justice, which is why I promise to upload my photos eventually. We are presently busy booking details of our next bareboat trip. Do not be the least bit concerned about the boat trip from the mainland to the island. Their boat, with 2 guests, passed us as we were approaching the island and I could see that it was a fast and smooth experience. This area between the mainland and the islands is not rough. I had no problem with seasickness much to my delight.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Noel and I got married at Coco Plum and we honeymooned there, as well. The island was well maintained and very beautiful. We enjoyed the all inclusive perks without the hotel feel. We had all the privacy we wanted and were able to socialize with other guests and the staff at the bar and dining room when we wanted to. The excursions were a nice change of pace. The food was amazing, our rooms were always kept clean, and best of all, our glasses were always kept full. The staff was especially friendly and made you feel very welcomed. We plan on making Coco Plum a regular vacation place and look forward to seeing those smiling faces again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coco Plum Island Resort? Share your experiences!