“10 Months Later and I Still Miss Coco Plum!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Plum Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dangriga
Coco Plum Island Resort
You added Coco Plum Island Resort to your Saves list
Coco Plum Caye, Dangriga, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Dangriga
Dayton, Ohio
“10 Months Later and I Still Miss Coco Plum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My fiancee and I decided to take a short trip shortly after he returned home from a deployment and upon reading reviews we decided this was the place to go.

It has been a while since our trip now but I finally decided to write a review because [1] I frequently think about Coco Plum with a whimsical, wishful way (we will definitely go back some time) and [2] reading some poor reviews about the place bothered me so I wished to counter them.

Coco plum is not like many other resorts. It is not for the high-maintenance, wanting to lounge around the pool and be waited on constantly vacationers. It is a resort that allows you to be you and to do your own thing. I found it to be the most amazing time to be with the person I loved after not seeing him for months due to his deployment. It is a very relaxed "we don't bother you, unless you need something resort" and when we did need something, the staff was amazing and more than willing to help us.

Each day there were events scheduled whether snorkeling with an experienced guide, or going to the mainland for a trip, and it was up to us to decide whether or not we wanted to go. If you have wishes to do other things, such as my fiancee and I wanted to go scuba diving (but we are not certified) the resort's manager set up a trip for us with an expert scuba guide/instructor. I have even read in other reviews that although Coco plum does not have a spa, if you ask they will set up an appointment on the mainland and assist you in getting there.

I personally thought the food was wonderful. Ever since this trip my fiancee and I have been replenishing our home refrigerator with the Belizian hot sauces we enjoyed at Coco Plum. Compared to American standards, the servings may have seemed small, yes, but they kept us full even while we were snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming almost all day, everyday. Also, there were always delicious fresh baked snacks or treats at the bar for guests to munch on between meals. The bar was also amazing. George was the bartender during our stay and his personality and amazing drinks kept us coming back for more. And he was very helpful as well, and he would adjust drinks to our preferences (mine was always a less strong than my fiancees). And when we wanted to go to the bird sanctuary on a kayak trip, he went and got us a freshly caught fish in a little baggie for us to feed to the birds. Coco plum also always provided water and snacks after snorkeling trips and they even packed us a delicious lunch to take on the day we left the resort to scuba dive.

We had the yellow cabana which is one of the closer ones to the bar. The hammock on the porch was amazing for us to cuddle in together and watch the sunrise. And the room was very clean and well kept. The only kritter we found in our cabana was an adorable little lizard on one of the beams in our bathroom. We slept soundly every night from the never-ending activities we did all day.

The last point I wanted to make is the wildlife. Coco plum provides the perfect environment to experience so much wild-life so close! One morning while kayaking around the island a group of 5 dolphins surfaced only a few feet from the nose of our boat. We also experienced so many different gorgeous, fish, rays and animals while snorkeling. Our scuba trip was amazing! We saw live sharks, a sting ray that had a width of around 8 ft digging in the sand, tons of amazing fish and sea turtles. At one point lounging at the bar a large sting ray swam right past the deck!

Coco Plum is a vacation like no other. The resort staff truly do care about their guests and want you to have the best relaxed stay possible. And let me tell you, we did and we will go back again and tell everyone we know about our wonderful time!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Yukon, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We got back a few week ago from an amazing 8 days in paradise. The island is more beautiful then I could have ever imagined. The staff was very hospitable and made us feel like we were family. We missed our connecting flight in Dallas so we were delayed a day coming into Belize. Michelle rebooked everything so that we could still stay the 8 days we originally booked at no additional charge to us. Since the resort is so small each excursion felt like we were on our own private Belizian tour. The food was really good not sure why some of these reviews state that as one the negatives. The cocktails were unbelievable. We came back with a few new recipes that we introduced to our friends at home. Our favorite excursion was the ziplining and cave tubing. It's a little extra but well worth the money. We will be back next year and we are bringing friends so they can to experience the heaven on earth that is Coco plum.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

From the moment we landed in Dangriga we knew we were going to love this place, Zeke was standing at the front door of the small airport waiting for us and then took us to the boat. We were met at the dock of the resort by Shamille and Millie who immediately made us feel welcome, we hadn't had lunch yet and even though lunch was over Ms. Sue made us something to eat and George brought us a drink. The island is amazing with it's views of the sea and the privacy you can find by just taking a walk. We went snorkeling and it was my first time, Rojo stayed with in eyesight of me and helped me feel comfortable and safe.
The food was simple but so good, Ms. Sue knows her way around a kitchen and how to cook. We were there for fathers day and had our private dinner that night, Ms. Sue made my husband a cake that said "Happy Fathers Day". She took an extra moment for him and it was such a sweet gesture.
Ms. Shamille gives the greatest massages. I have been to many spas and never had one as amazing as the one I got from her. Definitely a must do while staying there.
We decided we wanted to go fishing and hadn't added it to our plans prior to leaving the states, but when we went and asked about it, we were able to get a trip planned. That day my husband got so burnt that the next day he didn't get out of bed, everyone of the staff asked about him, and gave me some aloe to go put on him, Micheal made sure he had a plate for lunch. I have nothing but great things to say about our stay there other than it was to short of a trip.
We didn't just find a great getaway but we found a new extended family. This place is definitely heaven on earth and the staff just add to the experience. George will keep you laughing with his broom, while making sure as you finish a drink another one is ready for you.
The cabana we stayed in was wonderful, clean and cozy. We had plenty of hot water and housekeeping came in daily to clean and change our linens.
Thanks to Shamille, Millie, Ms. Sue, Mike. Leo, George, Crispin and Rojo for making our trip wonderful! Can't wait to come back and see you again.

alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

When picking a remote, adult, exotic venue for a romantic wedding and honeymoon, we could not have chosen a better place! Ian and his staff are wonderful! Very accommodating, always aiming to please and satisfy any and all of your wishes. My new husband and I will definitely be returning to see our "extended" new family at Coco Plum Island Resort! Thank you Ian, and everyone at Coco Plum!

Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed at Coco Plum for our Honeymoon. We've traveled a fair amount and this was our best trip to date. It is literally a private island with 10 cabanas total so at the most there's 20 guests on the entire island. When we were there it about 6-8 couples so when some people are on tours, or kayak you really feel like your the only ones on your own private island.
The island is beautiful. There's plenty to do for those who want to adventure, fish, kayak, snorkel, dive, etc. However, if you want to relax and sleep in the hammocks, which became our afternoon standard, you can do that and have quality time on the beach.

Our favorite day was when they took us to see a sea turtle which had washed up at a marine sanctuary. The turtle was injured so they were going to hold onto it until it was healthy again. Then we had lunch, afternoon hammock nap, followed by massages on the dock and our private dinner at our cabana. It was so great, peaceful, and romantic.

Highly recommend it for romance, adventure, fun, and amazing drinks by Maria! We'll be back!

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was a very last minute vacation, but from booking with Michelle, to leaving the island it was the best experience EVER. We were greeted at the boat by Shamille and immediately felt like family. Snorkeling trips with Rojo & Sergio were a blast and saw some beautiful nature, and learned all about the Conch. Maria, Sergio & Leo are the best bartenders ever (especially when the correct tools are used). Miss Sue - Thank you for letting me in your kitchen. Never meet a meal I didn't like, seafood sere ROCKS. Take the time to get a massage from Shamille - its well worth it. We walked to the adjacent islands, kayaked around the island, snorkeled around the island. Inland excursions to Xunantunich & Cockscomb were very interesting. We met some very nice people who were there either on vacation or honeymoon. Hated to come back to reality. Thank you everybody at Coco Plum for an amazing vacation. Ian, Shamille, Sue, Jude, Renee, Mickey, George, Maria, Sergio, Leo, Rojo, Crispin miss you all.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Our second visit in 3 years - returning with warmth to old friends like Crispin, Sue, Robert and a fabulous newcomer Ian. Location remains unparalleled, hospitality unmatched all with a locally knowledgeable staff dedicated to their guests comfort and recreation. Already looking forward to another visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangriga
Thatch Caye Resort
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 12 in Hopkins
5.0 of 5 stars 418 reviews

Been to Coco Plum Island Resort? Share your experiences!