We traveled to Belize with our 3 teenage daughters whose criteria for our vacation was to travel to a place with no museums and no tours and with a great beach. When I started to look at Belize I started looking at hotels up North near San Pedro, I read that 60% of the hotels were in that area. One of my teens suggested that we look for something more primitive, so I began to look South and found Pelican Beach Resort in Dangriga. We felt we found a hidden treasure. In Dangriga we visited the Mayan Temples which were amazing and yet not "really" a museum! And did the cave tubing and saw the most amazing stalagtites and stalagmites. Terri at the Pelican took care of every detail. My favorite phrase that was heard over and over was, "It's no problem." Dangriga was definately not a tourist town, but we had no reason to leave the resort. The food and service was amazing at the Pelican. But then the real treat was when we traveled to Pelican Pouch on the South Water Caye. It was about a 20 minute boat ride to the island. It was so beautiful and had one of the best beaches I've ever been to. We then met Terri's other half...Leonard. Who is equally as wonderful as she is. Now "he" took care of every detail while we were on the island. The food was amazing, the water was amazing and the rooms were amazing. We stayed in the Heron's Nest and our kids stayed in the Sandpiper, both rooms were great. Heron's nest sits on the water and has a beautiful view. We loved the hammocks on our porches. The snorkeling was like being inside an aquarium each day. However, nothing compared to the nighttime snorkeling. We saw eels, octopus, squid, blowfish, lion fish, lobster....even seahorses. It was amazing. The water was warm and so comfortable. We were worried about traveling during their wet season, but had no issues with rain. It rained a few days, but passed very quickly, it never got in the way of our activities....which were mostly laying on the beach and waiting for 10:00 when the homemade cookies were ready. Leonard is a wonderful host, he quickly knew our food preferences, drink preferences and let us have 2nds for dessert! He was so kind and accomodating, we loved our daily "Happy Hour" with him. Richie was our snorkeling guide and introduced us to raw conch....can't really recommend it, but it was fun trying it. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is the place to go. Both Terri and Leonard take care of every detail!
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Beach - Dangriga Hotel
- Pelican Beach - Dangriga Hotel Dangriga
- Pelican Beach Hotel
- Pelican Beach - Dangriga Belize
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Two special locations, one great vacation in Dangriga and Southwater Caye! Dangriga, our inland gateway, has beachfront a/c rooms with large decks and tours to the jaguar reserve, Maya sites, horseback riding, cave-tubing and Garifuna Cultural experiences. Modern conference facilities and local entertainment make this an ideal location for families, honeymooners, weddings, business travel, educational and service groups! For the simple pleasures - spending time together, sharing new adventures and making new friends. ... more less