“I'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thatch Caye Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dangriga
Thatch Caye Resort
You added Thatch Caye Resort to your Saves list
9 miles off the coast - South Water Marine Reserve | Cocoplum Chain, Dangriga, Belize   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dangriga
“I'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

After spending 6 nights at Thatch Caye Resort I only have praise for the location, amazing staff, beautiful food, fun activities and so much more.
I highly recommend the resort for small or large groups.
I come away feeling grounded, relaxed and totally at peace. Thank you to all involved for this amazing experience and I look forward to returning in the near future.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Raymond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Thatch Caye is the most serene, beautiful place I have ever been. It is truly paradise. The unique thing about this island is that it is an Eco-friendly island. It is amazing to be involved in the keeping of such a fragile Eco-system while being there. The staff is what really makes the island. So friendly and helpful. All of them always wore smiles and went out of their way to do whatever we needed. The food was AMAZING!!! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a unique experience but not for those wanting 5-star accommodations and 30 minute showers. But go with an open mind and enjoy everything there is to be.

• Stayed July 2014
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The atmosphere is wonderful with pretty beach balizean grounds. Crystal clear water with a enclosed area with a lot of natural critters. The food was very good but portions were not oversized by any means. The service was friendly and very accommodating. The managers even arranged a local trio to play music afterwards. The dining areas are the thatch roof type of rooms. This would be 5 star review except for the price but this was not out of line with other places.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had an amazing trip to Thatch Caye Resort with a great group of friends in May and I was very impressed with the resort and all the staff. The diving was some of the easiest diving we have done in respect to currents and the dive boat we were on. We'll definitely be going back!

Wes and Shannon and all the staff were great and I recommend it to anyone looking for a warm, relaxing and fun destination for diving or just hanging out with friends.

Judy

Room Tip: If you want a beautiful breeze, with hammocks on the deck to star gaze at night or to enjoy the view...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

If you love to scuba dive, or snorkel, and you're tired of elbowing your way past or through other dive boats on popular dive sites, then go to Thatch Caye Resort. We are a group of 16 divers who travel the world scuba diving every year to a new destination. Past trips include the Red Sea, the South Pacific, Honduras, Galapagos, the southern Caribbean. This year we chose Thatch Caye and not only did it not disappoint, it exceeded all our expectations.

The dive boat: excellent. The dive masters and crew: excellent. The diving: spectacular. The crowds: non-existent! We did not see a single other dive boat during the entire 5 days of diving! The waters are pristine, the corals spectacular, the marine life abundant and beautiful, the turtles really, really big, and a complete absence of sharks. (The latter worried us. The oceans need sharks.)

The resort, which is under new management, is small (we almost filled the place) and delightfully isolated. It is the only resort on the island. There is a resort on an adjacent island but we never felt encroached upon. We loved the peace and tranquillity of Thatch Caye Resort.
The food and beverage are way past what you would expect from such a small and relatively isolated location. The chef, Alberto, provided fantastic meals, the evening menu especially always splendid and varied. When we caught our own conch, he cooked them up and served us conch fritter appetizers before dinner. On our final night he (and his kitchen team) roasted a pig for hours in a pit in the ground. Delicious!!! In addition, several of us have food restrictions, which was not a problem for Alberto. All our needs were met.

Other activities available at Thatch Caye Resort: paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkelling, island hopping led by Ishmael and Carlos, day-trips to mainland Mayan ruins, the ATM Caves, and full-on relaxation! The sunrises and sunsets are fabulous, the hammocks are everywhere, and the tropical breeze seems to be constant.

We loved Thatch Caye Resort!! Kudos to the Team: Mr. Chris, Ms."B" and Shannon. This dive holiday rates as one of the best ever!

Room Tip: The rooms are cabanas built out over the water, and casitas, slightly more landward. The ocean bre...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Qc iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

First off don't let the no tv or internet in your room worry you . Thatch caye is by far one of the best choices I've ever made in my life besides marring my wife and lucky me I got to do both in 1 wk ! We looked at honeymoon places for over a year before choosing thatch and once we decided there was only a few openings so we picked the 1 in April and decided to plan are wedding around it . Now that may sound silly but we new right away that we had to go to thatch . We only decided to stay 3 nights then go to chabil mar in palencia cause that was what we were more used to at home ( tv , AC , internet etc ) that being said chabil mar is fancy and awesome but I would have rather stayed A lot longer at thatch then chabil mar . beaches , kayaks etc all to your self and so much to do if you don't just decide to kick back and take it all in . The staff and the guest are all so friendly Carlos and Ishmael were amazing snorkeling and all the guest who were there with us ( the Australians , North Carolina couple and all you Canadians ) sorry I for got your names already ( I blame Jess and his margaritas lol ) but thank you all for being so friendly and making are time there all that much better and I can't forget Chris , Kris and Shannon the best managers around I just wish Chris would have been with us in the ATM cave ! I can't forget the food amazing !!! Man I could just keep going on but I'm sick of typing on my phone lol . THANK YOU THATCH CAYE WELL BE BACK !!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have to admit, I was second-guessing myself on this trip idea before we got there since I am a full-service hotel kinda gal. No internet in my room, no TV, no AC- would I survive?! I didn't want to leave once I was there! Let's start at the top:
1. The LOCATION- private island with limited rooms at gorgeous views from anywhere. The pictures do not do this place justice. We never had to share a beach with another person the whole time we were there. The rooms were well appointed and the lack of AC was no issue due to the constant ocean breeze. You can snorkel right off the island and see rays, barracudas, huge starfish, and other colorful fish. You also see the sunrise every morning from your cabana or casita, and the sun sets where you have dinner.
2. The STAFF- Incredible. They work continuously to keep this place immaculate. They are ready at any given time to assist with excursions, take you out on a private snorkel trip, and any other random request.
3. The FOOD- They serve up the most delicious meals I have ever had at a resort and I am a picky eater (no seafood). I literally made a point to find Alberto, the chef, every night to praise him on the meals (we had a choice of a fish or meat entrée every night along with appetizers, a starter, and a dessert). Everything is made there on sight down to the fry jacks. Jess and Clarence provided drinks and meals and never missed a beat! You eat every meal with the other guests at a large table so you have the opportunity to meet interesting people where normally you would not have that chance at a large resort. Plus, folks sailing are able to moor over and have dinner, so that adds to more delightful conversation.
Bottom line: this resort should be heavily considered when weighing your options for Belize. You will completely unplug and probably have a hard time staying at a hotel larger than 20 rooms ever again :) Email me directly with any questions if you need more details.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Thatch Caye Resort? Share your experiences!