“More than ideal honeymoon location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stann Creek
Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort
You added Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Stann Creek Area south of Dangriga, Belize   |
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Stann Creek
Houston, Texas
“More than ideal honeymoon location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

The week we spent at Kanantik we had the pleasure of being the only 2 people at the resort (start of rainy season). After a large wedding full of family and friends it was a great pleasure to spend our first days as husband and wife at this resort. The service and staff were more than accommodating. They treated us to all out attention when we needed and all the privacy we sought. The grounds were pristine with a good mixture of seclusion and all the amenities one could ask for. The variety of day trips were fantastic, the staff is very knowledgeable of the reefs, jungle and the Mayan ruins. Best honeymoon ever, looking forward to returning to celebrate our anniversaries! Thank you to Roberto and staff for the memories that will not soon be forgotten.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

First trip to Belize and were happy to have spent it at this Resort. It is an absolute gem on the coastline. The trip there is exciting to, once you arrive at Belize Int, airport you are whisked away on a light aircraft to the Kanantik private airstrip just minutes away from the Resort.
The view from above is breathtaking!

The Staff are unbelievable and our tour guide - Agapito, (from Kanatik) was most impressive on all organised activities - our Snorkelling adventure, Mayan ruines visit and the Jaguar Reserve hike.

There is wildlife all around the resort and the feeling of being in the centre of it all was the best part. Be sure to have a look at the guide to all the fauna and flora which is available on the bar counter overlooking the pool and beach - there is all sorts to be seen even from this view point!

The Resort itself is beautiful and the attention to detail is evidant in all the finishings. Our Cabanna was situated only 20m from the waves!

A special thanks to Ms Judith & Bertha for preparing our delicious meals, Richard, for all the Pina's and Roberto & Ms Louise for making our stay so special!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

A memorable vacation if you want to get away and relax.....this is the place to go, Kanantik Reef and Jungle resort on South Stann Creek in Bellize. The cabanas are esconsed in 300 acres of beach front jungle in Belize, the heart of thr Mayan country. No phone, no television, no newspapers...just swimming, snorkeling and reading was a unique experience. However, internet was available if necessary as well as several tours and water sports. This is a first class resort with friendly service and good food. Enjoying the privacy, beach and walks in the jungle was a fabulous experience in this remote destination. Kanantik is an undiscovered gem and we will definitely return.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

The location, the service, the accommodations, the food were all top notch, but that's not what I would like to talk about..

I read all the reviews before we went down and several people commented negatively on Roberto or the fact that his young daughter was there.
First let me say that Roberto might be a touch on the eccentric side but we did not find him stand offish nor did he seem to show favoritism to some guests. He did seem to be all business with the staff but I think that he expects a high level of professionalism from them. Can you blame the guy? He charges a premium for the Kanantik experience and he wants people to come away feeling like they have stayed at a 5 star luxury resort.

As to the presence of his daughter at the resort. We chose Kanantik because of the no children policy. Having said that, she was well mannered, unobtrusive and we found her absolutely charming! In fact she left after a few days and we missed her..

I'm glad that we did not let those few people that had negative comments about Roberto or his daughter change our minds about going to Kanantik. It was everything we were hoping for and more.. I would recommend this place without a second thought and I hope to go back again..

To Roberto and all the staff at Kanantik: Thanks for a magical Christmas!

Mat & Kim

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Roberto-Belize, Owner at Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
Greetings Mat and Kim,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Belize Christmas at Kanantik! I appreciate your kind and honest words about our beautiful resort, dedicated staff and of course my daughter.

I guess eccentricity comes when you put an Italian in the Belize jungle in charge of delivering a five-star hotel experience. But, you’re right. I am committed to making sure all of our guests have memorable experiences and leave with fond memories just like you.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope to welcome you back again to Kanantik sometime soon.

Ciao,

Roberto Fabbri
Managing Director
Sun Valley, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My wife and I went to Kanantik in the spring of 2010.
The resort is wonderful and we enjoyed the piece and the jungle sounds. The cabanas are very nice and the service is excellent in dining room and the food was general very good.

We signed up for three different tours and had the same guide:
• Jaguar Preserve which consist of a hike through the jungle.
• Maya Ruins - Xunantunich located close to the Guatemalan border and overlooking the Mopal River.
• Snorkeling on the Barrier Reef that was beautiful and the 45-minute boat ride was fun and relaxing.
• Our guide on all three trips was awesome and showed us a lot of things we would have never seen without him. The staff is very friendly, the Bartenders and wait staff were very good, but also very reserved.

After reading some of the other reviews we agreed with the following quote:
• It seems like the owner is always watching and it was very difficult to get the staff to lighten up.
• Some people complained about the owner favoring some guests over others. We definitely found him to be quirky and awkward with us, while much more friendly to others. I can't say we cared that much, but it was odd. We also thought it a bit unusual that the resort does not allow children, but the owner's own 5-year old is ubiquitous -- and not shy.
• Yes it is a great spot. Artfully done. Beautiful. Decent food.
But the owner is an utter pain in the posterior. Negative, contentious,
at times amusing but after a while just tiresome.
He really spoils the experience and you can't avoid him.
We saw him treat the staff with contempt too. Not good.
Paradise? An Unhappy Paradise.
• You also need to know that this is a jungle. Yes, it's on the beach, but it's a jungle on the beach. Definitely bring the bug spray!

Liked - Our time and experience at the resort was mostly very nice and we enjoyed the cabanas and the solitude.
Disliked – Two different encounters with the owner & manager Roberto.
• When we first arrived at the resort he apologized for the fact that we would be the only clients at the resort for the week. We stated that this was fine and we understand that travel is down all over. He told us “we were wrong and he stated that he just came back from Miami and his plane was over booked”.
• The night before we left we had our first real conversation, he told us that he had seen a small animal on the road, so we looked up the animal on a chart. My wife said it looked like a weasel, he replied with the following statement “you know that the only true weasel was an American with a Passport”

He treated us like we were country bumpkins from Idaho that is Country Bumpkins that spends $800.00 per night from Sun Valley Idaho. We would only recommend under new management.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
RobertoBelize, Managing Director at Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2010
Dear Lonman2992,

Thank you for your comments on Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort. I am pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed our unique, and authentic, wildlife experience and relaxing atmosphere.

Having created Kanantik from the ground-up, I take great pride in the experience we provide and want all of our guests to have a wonderful time. I’m Italian and English is my third language. I think my passion for Kanantik can sometimes become lost in translation. I apologize if some things that I said did not come across correctly. But, please trust that I have nothing but appreciation for our American guests. In fact, most of our guests come from the U.S.

Regarding children at the resort, we have the policy because the jungle is not a place for little children. In addition, our guests come here to relax and enjoy the sounds of the wildlife – as you and your wife did.

As the owner and manager, I am on duty at the property 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I am a single father to a polite, well-behaved 9-year-old daughter. She understands that people come here to find peace and quiet. While some guests enjoy interacting with her, I ensure she does not interrupt our guests’ solitude.

Again, I want to thank you for your feedback and voicing your concerns as it will help me in ensuring an even better experience for our future guests.

Roberto Fabbri
Managing Director
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

We took a small plane from Belize City to Kanantik's private airstrip saving quite a bit of time on the roads. I immediately knew I had stepped into heaven by the Carribean Sea. The grounds were beautiful. planted with native species. Check in went very smoothly and I was shown to my cabana which was enormous, clean, made with native woods, and nicely decorated. Each evening we had a fresh pitcher of water on the coffee table. The bar was spacious, with appetizers each evening. A nice selection of wine, beer and mixed drinks were available. The pool was nice with chairs, towels and a shower.
The food was good and plentiful. Berta, the hostess took very good care of our group of 11.
Half our group took advantage of a snorkel trip to South Water Caye and had a great time with Christen who actually got in the water to point out the fish and coral to us.
There are a few trails and a tower for bird watching, but just walking along their private beach was rewarding for me.
My only disappointment was that they no longer offer scuba diving trips.
But a great place to stay for some R&R!

• Stayed January 2010
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Excellent services. Personlised care and heavenly beautiful surrounding.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort? Share your experiences!