“great onion rings & burgers” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Atlanta, Georgia
“great onion rings & burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Jam Rock is an expat hang out for many. I go for the food. Burgers are comparable to 5 guys in USA. The onion rings are unique and the best I have had anywhere, for over 30 years. Last week I broke from my habits and tried the pork chops. Excellent. Tender, moist and flavorful, a brown sauce with a hint of teriaki... sides of the ubiquitous potato salad and green salad. I ate every bite! Since the Almond tree lost their chef, this is the place for for really good food. There is always a cooling breeze from the adjacent sea. The employees and owner are genuinely cordial. I feel like an appreciated guest when I go there. Oh & I also call for take out & have my taxi man pick up and bring meals to me.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Lunch place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Loved all the locals and retirees!
The daily specials were great.....good times chatting with new and old friends.

Visited July 2013
“Swinging place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Loved the breeze, loved the food, loved the conversations, loved the actual swings at the bar, hated leaving!

Visited July 2013
Corozal Town, Belize
“EYES ON JAM ROCK’s NEW MENU”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

EYES ON JAM ROCK’s NEW MENU
By William Link

I had a great meal at Jam Rock the other day; I have been testing their new menu. Believe it or not I had Shepherd’s Pie; a surprise special for the day. Well it was a surprise to me because I seem to never pause to read the chalk- board parked out front announcing specials to the literate. The pie was good and brought home pleasant memorize of Chicago bar-food; though I've never had it with cheese melted on top it was yummy, filling and left me feeling good. Hey! A plate of piled-high onion rings just went by me headed for a table nearby.

As I profess not to be fan of the pictorial menu; where dishes are photographs, I do admit to being highly influenced by the visual when ordering at restaurants. I watch food on other people’s plates. I try not to stare but that plate of what looked like jumbo fried- shrimp went by at so sedate a pace; I barely suppressed a shout out to the bartender “Hey! What is that; is that shrimp?”

Jam Rock’s really good burger with bacon et al, prompted me to tell a complete stranger how I admired the look of his hamburger and inquired about its taste. I think this behavior is not tasteful and I am endeavoring to curb it. Still, the verdict was thumbs up for the bacon-burger. Just then the woman next to me got a plate of what appeared to be Shepherds Pie, nicely presented too with a mixed salad – you can guess what’s next.

For reasons therapeutic to cure my food-ogling disorder, I decided to meet the new Chef at Jam Rock, once a virtual food desert, now a refuge for Expats wanting comfort food and a break from rice and beans; the Belize staple. No surprise, Silvia Ramirez is born into a food family; her father taught her basic skills and the nuances of the catering business.

She later joined her mother, who was cooking professionally in the U.S. There Silvia embraced versatility and the variety offered by the myriad restaurants she worked in with her mother - hence; piled-high onion rings and killer bacon-burgers.

Sylvia threatens to cook a New Orleans-style gumbo, after she learned of my years staring at other folk’s Po-boys, Jambalaya, and boiled crayfish, and their flaming Bananas Foster too. So, stay tuned to the specials chalk-board at Jam Rock restaurant on Corozal town’s seafront; you never know what new delicacy will whisk by – “hey! Is that …?”

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sarteneja, Belize
“Good burgers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Good burgers and fries. $10.00 bz....Drinks were good but the place is rather plain. Right on the beach and you get a great breeze if you sit at a table.

Visited June 2013