“No hot water. Bad location, try another instead.....” 2 of 5 stars

Las Palmas Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   123 Fifth Avenue, Corozal Town, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Corozal Town B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“No hot water. Bad location, try another instead.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I chose this hotel believing it was the nicest available in Corozal. There was no hot water in the shower or sink so the owners moved me another room after the first night. They said they use a tank on the roof and the sun heats it but they are fixing it and another room will have hot water. Nope! By the fourth night I had lukewarm in the shower for a few minutes but it never improved. The rooms are clean and efficient, small TV with remote that did not work in the first room, the second room had a microwave and mini fridge which was nice. They have wireless which was a must for me. But the beds are uncomfortable and the linens very thin. Also like another reviewer said, there is no privacy really, someone is always walking around outside the room. I then went to complete my stay in another hotel on the water. The Sea Breeze is my top choice for Corozal! This is a budget hotel, $40 BZ - $76. BZ This is nicer than Las Palmas, has wireless, a good breakfast and a bar on the second floor with ocean view. The people are great, the rooms are furnished with nice furniture, the linens pretty white and there was hot water! If you go to Corozal, Sea Breeze is the place to stay or Tony's, I would not stay at Las Palmas again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
charles r, Owner at Las Palmas Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I am responding to this review, which occurred 3 years ago. We have absolutely NO problems with hot water. We have a large hot water heater which is more than adequate for the entire hotel. We have had teams here of 75 people, with 12 people showering at the same time with no problems with neither the volume of water or the temperature of the water. Yes, at times, I have had problems with getting top quality mattresses here in Belize. When someone complains, I replace it. As far as people prowling around here, we have a watchman. It is his responsibility to make sure we are all safe. I have about 12 security cameras, a 14 foot tall wall around the property, 24 hour security and I live on the property with my family. Safety is a top priority here at the hotel and we wish everyone to feel secure and safe. If it means that a person is walking around and checking on the security of the building, that is the function of his position.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Regina, SK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Thankfully we just spent one night in Las Palmas as we didn't get much sleep. What are people doing in the middle of the night in a sleepy fishing village? It is a very clean hotel however there is no furniture in the rooms except for a bed with a very lumpy mattress and the thinnest pillows I have ever encountered. We were the only paying customers yet people were prowling around all night , even though the gate to the grounds is locked, so we had to assume it was the owners. If you HAVE to spend a night in Corozal don't spend it here. But, if you are unlucky enough to end up here don't dare hang anything on the shortwall outside your room as the owners are very particular about keeping up appearances....For whom, Idon't know.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
charles r, Owner at Las Palmas Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I responded about the reason why our watchman is walking around in the review of Aug 23,2010. No, we do not allow guests to hang out their wet clothes on the outside of the building. If everyone did this, it would affect the appearance of the hotel and our image. We do provide a place where people can hang their wet clothes and are happy to do this for them if they ask. We also have laundry services. We have all new pillows in the hotel and try our best with the mattresses. Even with the negativity of this evaluation, I dont feel that we are a lost cause. A lost cause would be something seriously happening to a visitor and me not keeping the security up. I, also live, full time at the hotel and the security will be maintained to the highest level. No, I don't walk the corridors of the hotel at night, I sleep.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

This is a decent hotel. Rooms are modest but clean. Air-conditioned. Premises are quite well-kept. Owner is friendly. Good cable TV (which I normally don't care about, but Corozal is very sleepy with not much to do, at least on a Sunday, which is the only day I was there). Although I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend, I would only do so if said friend had no option other than spending the night in Corozal.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Hotel Villanueva
Hotel Villanueva
#5 of 21 in Chetumal
4.0 of 5 stars 77 reviews

Been to Las Palmas Hotel? Share your experiences!