“Fine for stopover, helpful owner, needs upgrade” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sea Breeze Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Corozal Town
The Sea Breeze Hotel
You added The Sea Breeze Hotel to your Saves list
#23, 1st Avenue, Corozal Town, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
“Fine for stopover, helpful owner, needs upgrade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night and generally happy, however needs new mattresses! It was old and uncomfortable bed, making sleep challenging. We are used to budget hostels so not being fussy. Apart from that, nice location, really nice owner and a cool bar.

• Stayed January 2013
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Mattresses are an important subject and it is a pleasure to address this issue.
Unlike most situations when “commercial” is equivalent to “heavy duty” most hotel mattresses see less duty that the one in your home. Occupancy at The Sea Breeze hovers about 90%, or 330 bed nights a year for a mattress. About the same as your mattress at home (assuming you are away a month a year).
Unfortunately shopping in Belize does not offer much variety of mattresses. ‘Firm’ or ‘soft’ are my local choices. Naturally we tried both and the vote went to ‘firm’.
We turn mattresses regularly, but because the quality of local products tends to fall short of the more developed nations, we change mattresses every 2 years on a rotating basis. With use the mattresses get “lumpy”. It is possible that this mattress is approaching its change time. Unfortunately the guests never specified which room they were in, nor did they mention this to me during their stay. So now I will have to spend a night in all the rooms to be sure of which mattress is bad. But I will start in room #2 where the mattress is almost due for rotation. This is a good thing, because it allows me to check on the other components of the room.
So rest assured, if we have a rogue mattress, it will be changed. It is a simple and quick fix once it is located. 4 years ago we had a similar situation and the mattress was changed in 45 minutes from the problem being identified. So, thanks to these guests for pointing this out and if they are reading this, please let me know your room number.
Thanks,
Gwyn Lawrence (owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

stayed here 1 night on route to Mexico.

about bz$55 for a single persons. add bz$10 for extra people.
all rooms are spacious and had a double and single with clean sheets towels and soap.

shower was powerful and hot.
owner nice helpful and friendly.

i had a positive experience here

• Stayed January 2013
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ok, this is one of those places whose great reputation comes from the character of the owner, and you quickly understand why. The owner (sorry, don't remember the name) is a really nice guy with incredible sense of humor and willingness to help. He even woke up before 7 am to make us breakfast when it was Sunday and his staff hasn't come yet.
The rooms are big and bright, the bathrooms clean.
We didn't have time to hang out in the bar with other guests, but everybody seemed to be having great time there.

The owner recommended us the Purple Toucan restaurant - what a great tip! We loved it! Everybody staying at Sea breeze should dine in PT at least once.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

i booked my room a week in advance. when i arrived the owner gwyn was very friendly. our room was ready and was nice and clean. we sat in the bar with gwyn and he told us about corozal. from the bar area there is a great view of the bay. every morning miss beverly had breakfast ready and she is a great cook,and for the price (2.50 u.s.) you cant go wrong. i heard water pressure in corozal was poor but not here, and there was always plenty of hot water. we stayed a full week and never had any regreats, at at the end of the week when we setteled up our bill the best thing was the price, we both left smiling and still had money in our pockets. for us the sea breeze hotel was a great place to stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was my third stay in 2012-13 at this fine budget hotel. Registration and check-in were flawless with a deposit (e.g. paypal) as per the hotel policy. In the world of backpackers and budget travellers this hotel provides excellent up-front e-mail or phone communication on cancellation policies. The hotel has clean, comfortable, secure rooms. Nightly gatherings at the bar bring travellers and expats together to watch the sunset and share stories of life on the road. A stay at the Sea Breeze is not to be missed if you are passing through Corozal, Belize. Be there or be square.

Room Tip: Room #6 has access to the balcony
Mexico City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sea Breeze was perfect for my three nights in Corozal. It was cheap, a stone's throw from the sea and short walk to the town centre. The freshly-brewed coffee in the morning was great, and it was a joy to take the coffee out and sit on the jetty outside the Sea Breeze and watch the sun come up over the bay. The staff were friendly and helpful. I look forward to having the opportunity to visit Corozal again, and staying at the Sea Breeze Hotel.

Yerevan, Armenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I requested a booking for a single room and that I would arrive about 5.00 pm. After some discussion the owner said shall I pencil you in? I replied yes. Shortly after the owner sent another email and said that he would only hold the room for so long. I would have to send credit card details or arrive before 5.00 pm. I knew I would be arriving before 5.00 pm, so I thought my booking was secure. I arrived at the Sea Breeze Hotel at 4.01 pm and there was a sign at the front stating that the hotel was full. I went into the lobby where the owner was and said I had booked a room. The owner asked had I paid for the room and I said I thought I had a booking. Then the owner said he would hold the room only until 4.00 pm and as I had not appeared by that time, he had given the room to someone else. However the truth was that he had said he would hold the room until 5.00 pm and he knew that I expected to arrive at that time anyway. In my opinion the owner of Sea Breeze Hotel is untrustworthy and you may make a booking with him, however he will reneg on it, if it suits him.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Recently there have been a couple of negative reviews about The Sea Breeze from travelers who have never stayed at the Hotel. Personally I find it difficult to comprehend how someone can judge cleanliness, sleep quality or value when they have never stayed at the hotel. In the interest of transparency I will publish the full text of all the correspondence from this last guest.

Guest. Do you have a single room, preferably air-conditioned, for 1 person for the night of 3 January 2013? My preference would be a premium room with a balcony.
Currently I am in Orange Walk and I will be arriving about 5.00 pm.

Me, I might have one room with A/C but NOT the balcony room. It depends if the present occupant moves out tomorrow. He is undecided and not here to ask. When he comes in, I will ask him to make up his mind.
Happy New Year,

Guest, If aircon is not available, another room will be OK.

Me. I definitely have one room without A/C. Shall I pencil you in?

Guest. Yes

Me. Without a deposit I can only hold this room for so long. You either need to send me a valid cc # or arrive before 5pm.
What would you like to do?

That is the complete transcript of our e mail correspondence. The guest never responded to the final question. This leaves me in a quandary. Has he changed his mind and altered his itinerary?
Is he still arriving? Who knows? All he would have had to do is to respond to the final question.
WHICH HE DID NOT DO. Nor did he phone. So the next day, when another guest arrived wanting the room at 4pm, I rechecked my e mails and, having still had no response, I sold the room. One minute later in walks this person. He does not mention that I left my hotel, walked with him up the street to another hotel with similar pricing, introduced him to the receptionist and waited while she checked that she had availability, shook his hand and returned to my hotel.
Instead, he says “he knew that I expected to arrive at that time anyway.” How? By telepathy?
In this modern age travelers have the ability to change their itineraries at very short notice. Meet someone you like, why not hook up and travel together for a while? See a special offer, why not take advantage of it? That is the beauty of iPhones and the internet. Which is why hotel owners need deposits, or assurances, so that rooms do not sit empty when other people need them.
So now you have the facts before you. Put yourself in my place. You be the judge on whether this person had a confirmed reservation. Whatever you decide, also ask yourself another question, “how can someone who has never stayed at a hotel rate the cleanliness, service and value?” Which is what he did.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corozal Town
Hotel Villanueva
Hotel Villanueva
#5 of 21 in Chetumal
4.0 of 5 stars 77 reviews

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!