“We liked this place a lot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sea Breeze Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Corozal Town
The Sea Breeze Hotel
You added The Sea Breeze Hotel to your Saves list
#23, 1st Avenue, Corozal Town, Belize   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Helsinki
“We liked this place a lot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ok, this is one of those places whose great reputation comes from the character of the owner, and you quickly understand why. The owner (sorry, don't remember the name) is a really nice guy with incredible sense of humor and willingness to help. He even woke up before 7 am to make us breakfast when it was Sunday and his staff hasn't come yet.
The rooms are big and bright, the bathrooms clean.
We didn't have time to hang out in the bar with other guests, but everybody seemed to be having great time there.

The owner recommended us the Purple Toucan restaurant - what a great tip! We loved it! Everybody staying at Sea breeze should dine in PT at least once.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

i booked my room a week in advance. when i arrived the owner gwyn was very friendly. our room was ready and was nice and clean. we sat in the bar with gwyn and he told us about corozal. from the bar area there is a great view of the bay. every morning miss beverly had breakfast ready and she is a great cook,and for the price (2.50 u.s.) you cant go wrong. i heard water pressure in corozal was poor but not here, and there was always plenty of hot water. we stayed a full week and never had any regreats, at at the end of the week when we setteled up our bill the best thing was the price, we both left smiling and still had money in our pockets. for us the sea breeze hotel was a great place to stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was my third stay in 2012-13 at this fine budget hotel. Registration and check-in were flawless with a deposit (e.g. paypal) as per the hotel policy. In the world of backpackers and budget travellers this hotel provides excellent up-front e-mail or phone communication on cancellation policies. The hotel has clean, comfortable, secure rooms. Nightly gatherings at the bar bring travellers and expats together to watch the sunset and share stories of life on the road. A stay at the Sea Breeze is not to be missed if you are passing through Corozal, Belize. Be there or be square.

Room Tip: Room #6 has access to the balcony
Mexico City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sea Breeze was perfect for my three nights in Corozal. It was cheap, a stone's throw from the sea and short walk to the town centre. The freshly-brewed coffee in the morning was great, and it was a joy to take the coffee out and sit on the jetty outside the Sea Breeze and watch the sun come up over the bay. The staff were friendly and helpful. I look forward to having the opportunity to visit Corozal again, and staying at the Sea Breeze Hotel.

Yerevan, Armenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I requested a booking for a single room and that I would arrive about 5.00 pm. After some discussion the owner said shall I pencil you in? I replied yes. Shortly after the owner sent another email and said that he would only hold the room for so long. I would have to send credit card details or arrive before 5.00 pm. I knew I would be arriving before 5.00 pm, so I thought my booking was secure. I arrived at the Sea Breeze Hotel at 4.01 pm and there was a sign at the front stating that the hotel was full. I went into the lobby where the owner was and said I had booked a room. The owner asked had I paid for the room and I said I thought I had a booking. Then the owner said he would hold the room only until 4.00 pm and as I had not appeared by that time, he had given the room to someone else. However the truth was that he had said he would hold the room until 5.00 pm and he knew that I expected to arrive at that time anyway. In my opinion the owner of Sea Breeze Hotel is untrustworthy and you may make a booking with him, however he will reneg on it, if it suits him.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Recently there have been a couple of negative reviews about The Sea Breeze from travelers who have never stayed at the Hotel. Personally I find it difficult to comprehend how someone can judge cleanliness, sleep quality or value when they have never stayed at the hotel. In the interest of transparency I will publish the full text of all the correspondence from this last guest.

Guest. Do you have a single room, preferably air-conditioned, for 1 person for the night of 3 January 2013? My preference would be a premium room with a balcony.
Currently I am in Orange Walk and I will be arriving about 5.00 pm.

Me, I might have one room with A/C but NOT the balcony room. It depends if the present occupant moves out tomorrow. He is undecided and not here to ask. When he comes in, I will ask him to make up his mind.
Happy New Year,

Guest, If aircon is not available, another room will be OK.

Me. I definitely have one room without A/C. Shall I pencil you in?

Guest. Yes

Me. Without a deposit I can only hold this room for so long. You either need to send me a valid cc # or arrive before 5pm.
What would you like to do?

That is the complete transcript of our e mail correspondence. The guest never responded to the final question. This leaves me in a quandary. Has he changed his mind and altered his itinerary?
Is he still arriving? Who knows? All he would have had to do is to respond to the final question.
WHICH HE DID NOT DO. Nor did he phone. So the next day, when another guest arrived wanting the room at 4pm, I rechecked my e mails and, having still had no response, I sold the room. One minute later in walks this person. He does not mention that I left my hotel, walked with him up the street to another hotel with similar pricing, introduced him to the receptionist and waited while she checked that she had availability, shook his hand and returned to my hotel.
Instead, he says “he knew that I expected to arrive at that time anyway.” How? By telepathy?
In this modern age travelers have the ability to change their itineraries at very short notice. Meet someone you like, why not hook up and travel together for a while? See a special offer, why not take advantage of it? That is the beauty of iPhones and the internet. Which is why hotel owners need deposits, or assurances, so that rooms do not sit empty when other people need them.
So now you have the facts before you. Put yourself in my place. You be the judge on whether this person had a confirmed reservation. Whatever you decide, also ask yourself another question, “how can someone who has never stayed at a hotel rate the cleanliness, service and value?” Which is what he did.
AC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I didn't have a chance to check room quality but the way i was met didn't leave any desire to stay in this hotel. I had a resevation which i paid in full. I came after 8 pm. My roon was sold. No soryr, no apologies, no regrets. Hostile, rude and unbearable person didn't want to recognize at the beginning i had a reservation. After few minutes of dispute we finally had refund and went to look for other place

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
The town of Corozal is situated in northern Belize. It is reached by bus from Mexico to the north. By bus from Belize City to the south. By boat and plane from San Pedro, to the west. The last boat arrives at 5pm, the last plane arrives at 5.30pm, the last bus from Mexico arrives at 6.30pm and the last bus from Belize City arrives at 8pm. The boat to San Pedro leaves the dock at 7am in the morning, so many of our guests retire early. After being in operation for 2 years we had enough experience to know that most of our trouble came from late check ins. We posted on our web site that our check in time was 4pm to 8pm. Naturally we are flexible, but we ask to be informed if you want to check in outside these hours.
All guests receive a key to the front gate at check in. So although we lock the hotel at 8pm they are free to come and go as they please. Sometimes, if all the guests are participating, the bar is open late, but on this evening it shut at 8pm.
This system has worked well for 3 years, but obviously broke down in the above case. Why, is quite interesting. A reservation is made when money is paid. But the hotel keeper has seldom met the prospective guest (or vice versa). One of my primary tasks is to somehow balance hospitality with security. The usual guest checks in and then goes out for a meal and a couple of beers. But there is, apparently, a category of guest that reverses that order. If you appear at my front gate later in the evening and are arrogant and belligerent I do have a right to refuse entry. It happens seldom and it is an occasion of much frustration on both sides. The hotel keeper loses the revenue for a room and faces this sort of revue. The guest has to look elsewhere for accommodation. The Sea Breeze Hotel is not a corporate entity. The buck stops with me, the owner. After having over 10,000 people pass through the front door, if I sense the potential for conflict, I always err on the side of caution. I would rather be penalized financially and in a review, than I would disturb the harmony of the hotel. I am sure both sides woke up next morning feeling that they could have handled the situation better, I know I did. But you have to follow your instincts in these matters. Right or wrong, my instincts said, “don’t let them in”. That I do not regret. I do regret allowing myself to become involved in the verbal sparring match that followed that decision. For that I apologize.
If there is any lesson to be learned from this, it has to be, “better to check in early than late”.
Gwyn Lawrence, owner

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on my way to caye caulker. The owner couldn't have been more helpful. Told me where to eat, drove me home from the restaurant, booked a flight to San pedro for me because the ferry wasn't going and even drove me to the airstrip! Very happy with service above and beyond. Red dog is gorgeous too!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!