“Great service in San Ignacio” 4 of 5 stars

Rolson Cocina,Cantina & Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   24 Crenshaw St., San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #19 of 26 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Vernon, Canada
“Great service in San Ignacio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Very friendly place where all the staff makes an effort to look after you from the owner on down to all of the waitresses. The food was good, shrimp cerviche in particular. Nice deck with tables outside with a view of the valley. The room was ok but the air con was struggling to make an impact on the heat. Easy to find right on the main road at the top of the hill on the way into San Ignacio.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

love this hotel, The staff were excellent and very friendly and the owners are so wonderful. We were on the 3rd floor over looking a valley. The view was spectacular. The hotel is very clean and the food is excellent. I recommend the bucket of beer and jalapeno poppers, and a Mexican skillet for breakfast with lime juice. I would stay there any time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Rolson's food is considered fast food by locals. It is not fast by any means, but nothing is in Belize. It is true Mexican food - empenadas, quesedillas, etc. SOOOO GOOD. I lived down the road for a while and went all the time. Often took close to an hour for food to arrive, but well worth the wait, and if you are travelling through the Caribbean, take your time and enjoy. Located just up the road from town, a nice walk (but a hot walk uphill). My favourite was Combo #3. Always served an app of nachos, very tasty. Servers were extremely friendly. Great patio that overlooks a neighborhood, good way to really get an overview of local houses and communities. I did not stay at the hotel, so no comments on that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

The service alone should have you coming back for more. From the wait staff to the owners themselves, everyone I met were extremely helpful and eager to help me with my requests. In the two weeks I stayed in Belize, my 3 day stay at Rolson's was the best I had.

Living in Texas I have had some very good Mexican Food, but was very impressed with some of the best I have ever had there at their restaurant. I did not expect to have some of the best Mexican food in Belize.

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. While I was there I never heard any noise or weird sounds. Even with a middle room I still had a great view from the patio and always enjoyed the cool breeze from its location on a hill. I truly enjoyed my stay there.

I wish all the hotels I stayed at in Belize were as comfortable and helpful as Rolson.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I don't normally bother with negative blogs, but I felt I had to send a thumbs down to anybody considering Rolsons. When we arrived, we were met by the owner who smiled and told us we'd been "upgraded" to a kingsized bed room. We hadn't asked, but thought, "oh well...how nice" The new corner room looked out on a dump sites and dirty back yards. The AC unit was the loudest I've ever heard. There was no actual hot water. Just tepid...ok, if you've been outside in the heat and want to cool off. Awful for first thing in the morning. And here's my favorite complaint. There were printed instructions to replace a water filled bag over the shower drain...We found out why when we came in to find the room smelling like...you guessed it: human dung. Turns out the little bag blocks the smell of their sewer. Once the bag was't placed directly over the drain, and...need I say more? Want more?. The sink was tiny and there was only one comfortable chair. This place deserves at least two paragraphs of complaints, but I;ll stop. The first night I wanted to change rooms. Was told there were none (what about our original room? Guess not) After two nights of no sleep (barking neighborhood dogs), I wanted to change hotels, but rooms were scarce so we dealt with it. Don't know if the problem was just this one room, but I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. The strange thing is that their restaurant is quite nice with good food and good service and a great view -- obviously not on the same side as our room. We did visit another hotel, San Ignacio Resort -- more expensive then Rolson's approx. $55/night. But, if you want comfort and a decent night's sleep, pay the extra $$. Bottom line -- go to the restaurant for the food, but save your sanity and sleep somewhere else. What a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Waukegan, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

My family stays at Rolsons once a year, it's clean, safe and cozy. The owners are just down right good people. The food is delicious and the views are amazing. It sits high on a hill overlooking a valley with mountains in the background. I will always stay here when we visit San Ignacio. Can't get a better deal then Rolsons. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
snellville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Our family enjoyed three nights in the hotel and the rooms were excellent and the staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating. We had two early morning trips planned before the breakfast hour and they brought the kitchen staff in a hour early to prepare breakfast. It was a very pleasant stay.

Jim Johnson
Snellville Ga

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rolson Cocina,Cantina & Hotel? Share your experiences!