“Overall, a nice stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Table Rock Jungle Lodge

You added Table Rock Jungle Lodge to your Saves list
Table Rock Jungle Lodge
on the Macal River in the Jungle | Mile 5 Cristo Rey Road / PO Box 179, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
NJ, USA
“Overall, a nice stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

It is a nice property (smaller than what I hoped for, with only a few trails, not an extensive system), but with a nice location by the river. They have kayaks that you can take up the river (about ½ hr to Chaa Creek, and maybe 1 hr or so to DuPlooy’s), and tubes that you can float on down the river. Food was very good, but I am not sure that we were told beforehand that the meal plan does not include lunches. I just checked my email correspondence with them, and their FAQ on their web site…could not find a reference to that, but maybe I am wrong and I missed it.
What surprised me at check-out was that the meal plan also did not include the orange/lime juice in the morning, and the dessert and coffee at dinner time. I am sure that was never explained in advance… and while not a big deal, it felt like being nickeled and dimed.

Then, everything in the cabin was damp. The cabins do not have windows, just screens, and so you really feel in the middle of the nature, which is great, and the reason to go there. But all the blankets smell musty…. Should they be washed/dried more often? Maybe…although I understand the energy issues there. Maybe just have more blankets available, have maid service take the damp ones, dry them in the sun and bring in dry ones? I don’t know…and I wish I knew how the other lodges in the area deal with this issue.

While this is not their fault (it is the jungle after all, and it rains in the jungle), the unpleasant smell makes for a less pleasant stay :(

Other than that, everything was fine, the staff wonderful, food excellent, the excursions arranged through Table Rock were well organized, with good guides, and the overall stay, good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BelizeJungleGirl, Owner at Table Rock Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
While it’s a disappointment to us to learn that you did not enjoy your stay at our lodge as much as we would have liked you to, please know that we value all kinds of feedback and that we take the opinions and ideas of our guests very seriously. We can appreciate that your time at Table Rock was not everything you expected it to be and for that we truly apologize.

While the rates page on our website and our online reservations system both list what is (and isn’t) included with our discounted meal package, we realize that this could be missed and that we can look at ways to make our offerings better understood. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks also for letting us know that there was an issue with the quality of our blankets. During your stay it had been raining for nearly three weeks (a bit unusual at this time of the year) and it did create a unique issue with keeping linens from absorbing moisture. This should have been remedied immediately, especially if brought to our attention, and we are now being more diligent about checking the freshness of our blankets and changing them out more frequently during rainy periods.

Again, we apologize for the negative aspects of your experience while you were here but we're truly grateful for your visit. We hope you choose to return to Belize again and we'd be honoured if you chose to include Table Rock Jungle Lodge in your travel plans.

Our Best Regards,
Colleen & Alan Spring, Owners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This family-run, family-friendly lodge sits on a hill above the Macal River in the heart of the Belize jungle. Some of the best bird-watching in Belize is available by sitting on the dining veranda or walking the roads and trails. Canoeing and swimming are available. Mayan ruins are a short ride away. Food is superb - fresh,, well-cooked, beautifully presented - gourmet all around. Drinks are interesting, even inventive, and large. A fairly large town, San Ignacio is near, and boasts a great Saturday farmer's market. My party of four (two couples) enjoyed every minute of our stay and recommend this little gem to any and all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our stay at Table Rock Lodge was extraordinary. We did all of our booking via email and got all of our questions answered via email. Answers and suggestions came quickly and gave us complete confidence that our driver would be there to meet us at the airport, the rooms we wanted would be ready, and the excursions we dreamed about would be booked. Our expectations were only exceed upon arrival. In fact, everyone was so incredibly friendly that it felt more like some friends of ours went on ahead and opened the lodge and we were just arriving after they got it all set up. We were greeted by Jose and Marty, and we enjoyed talking with them throughout our stay. They were informative, friendly, personable and professional. Chef George prepared delicious meals. I was particularly fond of his soups (served before the main course each night at dinner), and enjoyed talking with him about his spices and recipes. Breakfasts were huge and delicious – try the fry jacks. Each night we had a drink before dinner with the other guests and our hosts – Alan and Colleen. We enjoyed hearing everyone's stories and developing a personal connection with everyone. It really helped make this unique location feel like home. I stayed in the Laughing Falcon overlooking the river valley. It is even nicer than the pictures. I enjoyed watching the sunset from the back porch, and snapped lots of shots of the birds, bats and iguanas I could see from there. We helped ourselves to the canoes and had a great day on the river. The lodge arranged day trip to Xunantunich followed by cave tubing. Louis, our guide, was incredibly knowledgeable, fun and helpful. Ask to go on a day that cruise ships aren't there. I traveled with a girlfriend, and we had a blast. I'm already hoping to be able to come back next year with my kids and husband. This was a trip of a lifetime, and Table Rock was absolutely the right choice. We're glad we checked out the Lodge website and saw that it participated in Pack for a Purpose. I was so enriched by my stay in the Cayo that it was nice to do a very small part to give something back to this very special corner of the world. (http://www.packforapurpose.org/docs/countries/belize/table-rock-jungle-lodge.shtml)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Table Rock for 5 nights back in November for part of our honeymoon. We arrived after staying on Caye Caulker (which was a great island) in a mediocre hotel and had high hopes for a pleasant stay in the jungle. We were absolutely BLOWN away. The staff is the most friendly and accommodating staff one could ever hope for. The first night we were there we were the only couple staying and they really took the time to get to know us. Each day they'd talk with us about our adventures and give recommendations for planned adventures. Everyone was SOOO friendly!! And the food....WOW!! Everything we ate was absolutely spectacular!! Some days we were getting picked up before they served breakfast and they were always sure to have a packed breakfast for us...even those were great!! The owners were on vacation for most of our stay, but we did get the priviledge of meeting Alan and Colleen our last night. They had actually come to Belize from the US on their honeymoon and loved it so much ended up buying some property and turning it into Table Rock. They have 3 property dogs, too, that are sooo friendly and loving. Our last day we walked the trails on the property and 2 of them (Ava and Ranger) followed right along with us. We will absolutely be back to Table Rock when we go to Belize again!

Oh, and I musn't forget this remarkable act. We left Table Rock and headed to Placencia for the final leg of our journey. As I mentioned, it was our honeymoon, so at our hotel in Placencia I was looking for all of the lingerie I brought...NONE of it was in my bag. I started freaking out because I had brought like 6 different pieces, most from Victoria's Secret, we're talking some major money and super cute outfits I had gotten for my bachelorette party. As embarrassing as it was, I emailed them asking if I left it in our cabaña and they promptly let me know they had it and would mail it home to the states for me. I really feel like that shows the character of the employees who work there...they could've lied and kept it all for themselves or sold it online or whatever they wanted. They may have gotten a good laugh out of the whole ordeal, but I am forever greatful!!

THIS PLACE IS A MUST if you stay in the Cayo District.

Room Tip: Oropendola...peaceful cabaña overlooking the jungle. Very comfortable king bed, stone shower, hammo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

There are plenty of options when searching for a place to stay in the Cayo. Table Rock was awesome! The room, the well maintained jungle grounds, and especially the food all surpassed our expectations. We used all of the amenities and went on exciting excursions to Tikal, ATM and the San Ignatio market.

Two things stood out for us: 1) having meals in the same place was great. While you could eat as a family if you wanted, you could also join with others to find out what everyone did that day and share experiences. 2) when Fodors says TR has "mastered the art of accommodation" they're not kidding. The staff -- from the grounds keepers, to the kitchen, to the owners --- were all smiling, on the same page, and happy to be there. That made us happy to be there, too.

We are glad we chose Table Rock.

Room Tip: Monkeys were howling at night. Loved it! Thought I'd read a lot since it gets dark early, but y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sheridan, Arknasas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Table Rock for 3 nights before heading to Caracol for the end of the 13th Baktun celebration (12/21/12). We had the pleasure of staying in the Laughing Falcon cabin. Trust me, this cabin is well worth the extra up grade. Our favorite spot on the entire property was relaxing in our individual hammock swings on the back porch while watching the sun set over the Macal River. Totally peaceful and 100% private. It was a perfect ending to every day there, especially if you were holding a sweet drink made by the smiling staff.
The food was out of this world!! I mean REALLY exceptional!! It was hard to believe that gourmet dinners were served in the middle of the jungle. And you GOTTA get the desserts. You're on vacation! Key lime pie made fresh from the farm! It doesn't get better than that!!
We booked our tours directly through the lodge, and I would recommend doing this. You can book your own tours through companies in San Ignacio, however you will be going in a much larger crowd with people you don't know. I was so glad we had our own individual tour and didn't have to crowd in trying to hear what the guide was saying over the rest of the group. Sure, you might save $5-$10pp but a more intimate tour maintains it's sacredness. We did the ATM and Barton Creek, both were amazing, and I can't imagine going in a large group.
The grounds of the property were well manicured. Great walking with rock trails all around the river. We saw exotic birds, an iguana, and dozens of different flora and fauna all on the grounds. Oh, and howler monkeys at night were such a special surprise. I would recommend taking a full day just to explore the property. They have canoes and tubes to borrow. You can paddle up river and explore some of the neighboring lodges, or just relax and float downstream.
One last thing to say about Table Rock is that it's an ECO-lodge!! The owners, Alan and Colleen, have really gone out of their way to help minimize their footprint on the jungle while still having the luxury of a 5 star hotel.
It is all very impressive and worth every penny!!

Room Tip: The laughing Falcon has the best sunsets and is the most private!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

WoW!! Whatta place!! Super Friendly Staff! Incredible Grounds! Amazing food!! Did I mention the STAFF!!! (Owners) What am amazing blessed family!! Rooms were just outta this world!

Belize is incredible alone this is the CHERRY ON TOP!!

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Table Rock Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!