“Romantic, luxurious, personal and great location for adventure/exploration” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa

You added Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile 69 1/4 Benque Viejo Road, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
New York City, New York
“Romantic, luxurious, personal and great location for adventure/exploration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ka'ana for three days in October and had a wonderful time. Ka'ana is incredibly luxurious and romantic and the staff is incredibly attentive and pride themselves on making your trip as personal as possible. We stayed in a Balam Room and I seriously slept better than I have in months. While we did not book our daily adventure excursions through Ka'ana (they only do private tours so it was more expensive than we had budgeted), it was nice to come back to a comfy air-conditioned room, sit on the bed (and yes, even watch tv sometimes) and order a cocktail from the bar. I also loved coming back after dinner every night to find some sort of desset set out for us. Ka'ana is perfect for people who want the adventure of the Cayo District and Guatemala without giving up the comfort of a luxury hotel. And I know that sounds like a blurb from their website, but it's really true.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Ka'ana in August and found the grounds and the room to be beautiful and extremely comfortable. The presentation and details were fantastic and the tours that the hotel provided were exceptional (my wife and I were alone with the guides on ALL of the tours that we took, which led to wonderful personalized service). The food in the restaurant was very very good - though at times, the service was somewhat slow. I would gladly give Ka'ana 5 stars, but there were a few oddities that didn't sit well with us. The hotel staff constantly tried to encourage (and almost seemed to expect) us to eat at the restaurant every meal. The hotel staff seemed to be "trying too hard", which is commendable compared to it's opposite - but we would have preferred a bit more anonymity. Overall, I would recommend the resort! If they iron out a few kinks, this place would be top-notch.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London Via San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Probably one of the most perfect stays that I have ever experienced. I stayed in a Casita Suite, the beds are so comfortable that I was all rested up to take my ATM ( Actun Tunichil Muknal ) cave tour the next morning. I toured with Edwardo, it was an insane tour, hiking in the Jungle, trecking accross rivers and swimming into a cave system that has mayan artifacts that are over 1000 years old. When we arrived back to the resort, dinner was served and I enjoyed wonderful drinks at the bar. Followed the following day by a tour into Guatamala and the Mayan Ruins of Tikal the next day. Wilburt and our Local Guatamalan Guide were fantastic - I love everything about this resort, the staff, the food, the tours, the grounds, the accomodations. I will go back again and again!!!!!
OH and Did I say the food is AMAZING!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This place was just incredible! A friend of mine stayed here in May 2010 so when she raved about the amazing time they had, my beau and I had to go. Turned out to be one of the best trips we've ever had :)
Ka'ana is super clean, excellent food, and they did an awesome job arranging our trips
(I highly suggest doing a "private tour" of the ATM cave if you enjoy a bit of adventure!!!)
The "Casita" was adorable and the large stone shower was just splendid. Ka'ana does an awesome job at keeping up with the grounds... the resort was surrounded by green and I loved all the local flowers they were growing everywhere.
The mixologist they have at Ka'ana makes some of the best drinks! I suggest the corn colada but beware they are so tasty that you may just end up ordering more than you can handle :-P The food at Ka'ana is delicious although I did have the gnocchi which was burnt, however, they quickly picked it up, offered to replace it with something else, and gave us free drinks.
**I recommend doing a package with Victoria House if you want to add the beach into your trip (it's by far the best resort and when passing by other resorts on our daily bike rides we both thought the other hotels/resorts were a bit sketchy)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We had a wonderful stay. The staff made our anniversary very special. We had a romantic private dinner with live music, a specially made cake for us, and even a gift! We loved our guides for each of the day trips. ATM is a must!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We were so excited to get to Ka'ana since we heard so many great reviews. We were greeted at the airport by Eduardo who was great. The staff at the front desk were very nice and very helpful. The food was great. We think they tried too hard with the service though. We didn't need to hear "and here we have our salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper" everytime they put the spice tray on our table. We also didn't need our server to say "excuse me" EVERY TIME he left the table. We're on vacation, we're there to have fun, it was a little too stuffy. Also, the menu got boring. Offering specials and/or variations to the menu would've been nice. My biggest complaint about Ka'ana is the overpriced tours. They were charging $175+ p/p for a tour that we paid $75 p/p flat (Destiny Tours). They weren't doing anything special to be price gouging like that!! The airport transfer, for example, they charged us $150+ to get there and it would've been the same back if we didn't book it with Destiny Tours & only paid $90 flat. Just because people can afford to pay the hotel rates doesn't mean you need to overcharge on the tours. Overall, our trip to Belize was great, the hotel was nothing to write home about. It was nice....but.......

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again soon. Our tours are more expensive than the traditional touring options available in town for three very simple reasons: 1) Our Adventure Specialists are the most knowledgeable and best paid in the country 2) All of our tours are private and customized 3) We use a fleet of new air conditioned and well maintained and equipped Touring SUV's and Vans.

We look forward to your re-visit so that we may customize your touring experience in order to ensure that it is personal, authentic, and memorable.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Ka'ana Resort. There were several things we LOVED such as: the nightly treats from housekeeping, the beautiful casita, the romantic atmosphere, the way everyone knew us by name, and the politeness of the staff. However, there were things we didn't like. We booked through Luxury Links and we were to get breakfast daily. It didn't specify a type of breakfast in our package-just breakfast. The first morning, they tried to charge us stating we only were to get continental breakfast, but nobody informed us of this nor did it state that. It didn't happen again after we spoke to someone, but it still shouldn't have been an issue. If you only want people to get continental breakfast, say it in the package. Another things was, we had made many arrangements through Saira in reservations. The night before we left, she confirmed our activities and when we wanted to do them. One of the activites was a cooking lesson with the chef. When we arrived, they informed us, he was on vacation for the week. They did compensate us with another activity, but shouldn't they have known that night before? Lastly, we had a spa credit with our package. Upon review of our final bill, we saw they had charged a service fee and tax on the spa services, but the credit was less. I understand the fees, although pricey, but why was the credit less? Turns out, they charged a service fee and tax on the spa credit too! They tried to double dip. Who charges fees on a credit??? It was resolved, but once again, it shouldn't have happened! All in all, we had a great time, but not sure I would go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!