“Perfect Honeymoon Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect Honeymoon Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I just got home from our honeymoon in Belize and Ka'ana was our favorite destination. We were greeted with delicious ginger limeade and a plate of fresh tropical fruit upon arrival. The service was amazing, each member of the staff taking the time to learn our names and use them at each greeting. Everything was coordinated beautifully; they turned down our room while we were at dinner, waited until we were at the pool to do some routine maintenance, and remembered our daily excursions to help keep us on schedule. We felt like we were the only guests at the resort with how much attention we were getting. When we left, my wife accidentally left a pair of earrings on the bedside table and Ka'ana had it to our new destination in Ambergris Caye the next day, without us even realizing they were gone.

We stayed in a Balam room and were very comfortable. The air conditioner kept the room plenty cool and the bedding was soft and cozy. We slept beautifully. The food was amazing although the menu never changed. We loved the smoked pork panades on the lunch menu and the rotating dinner role/flavored butter combo each evening.

Overall, it was a beautiful, serene resort, immaculately kept, with wonderful staff. I would highly recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon with us at Ka'ana! It was a treat having you both with us. We're glad the level of service you received allowed you to feel like you were our only guests. That was our aim! Thank you for recommending us as well. We're truly grateful that you took the time to write about your trip and share your kind words about your experience with us. We wish you all the best for your new life together and here's to more adventures!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I can't say enough great things about ka'ana. We were there for 3 nights and I only wish it could have been longer.

It's a small, boutique place. There is a bar and restaurant on site with delicious food and drinks (the lunch menu is the best). We ate most of our meals here.

Our room was much larger/nicer than we anticipated - room service is twice a day and in the evening they turn down your bed, light candles in your room and leave a dessert. The rooms have AC - a must for us! And they leave you with bottles of water each day.

We opted for the Mayan cooking class on site which was so much fun. They also arranged for us to go canoeing - it was a private tour and was a great way to see how beautiful the area is. I also has a massage at their spa, which was the perfect blend of relaxing and therapeutic.

The pool is unheated, and there isn't a jacuzzi - but we didn't mind that too much.

I would recommend ka'ana to anyone looking to spend their evenings in a relaxing, luxurious place after their days of adventures in the jungle.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We're so grateful you took the time to share about your time with us and thrilled that you consider us one of your favorite resorts now. We're very flattered! Your favorite menu was at lunch and we think that's great. There's lots of yummy options that are influenced by local favorites. Let us know if you'd like any of the recipes to try at home and we'll be happy to send them to you. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and not only do we wish you all the best for your future travels, but we also hope to welcome you back to Ka'ana if your journeys bring you back to Belize.
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My family of 3 stayed at Ka'ana to celebrate the New Year. This was our first trip to Belize and since we had already had beach vacations we opted for the jungle. I wasn't sure what I had gotten my family into seeing as the ride to Ka'ana revealed the great beauty of Belize, but also areas of great poverty. The van that picked us up had a cracked wind shield, and make sure that you use the restroom before you get off the plane because it is a long, bumpy ride with no stops.
The resort itself is luxurious with a staff that is amiable and efficient. The grounds are immaculate and the rooms are comfortable. There was in issue with the water pressure the first evening and the internet service is slow (both of these I suspect have nothing to do with the resort). The pool was chilly but the waterfall was a short walk away from our room and the white noise was lovely. There is a local home owner with a dog near the spa area who made his presence known but we only heard him on our walk back from the spa or restaurant. The food at the restaurant was delicious and much healthier than we were used to eating - both my husband and I lost weight on this trip, even while eating our fill. The double cut pork chop is definitely going down on my list of tastiest meals ever, and you have to try it if you go there. My daughter loved the yogurt parfait in the morning, and they were very accommodating to whatever cravings we had, so don't be afraid to ask for something not on the menu.
Our first day we took a trip into town to explore San Ignacio. We visited the Iguana Conservatory located in the not as nice, San Ignacio Resort Hotel. Getting up close with the iguanas was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it - especially if you have kids. We also walked into town and explored the local shops. The shopping in San Ignacio has a Tijuana, Mexico feel to it and was not really our thing. On the cab ride back to the resort my husband accidentally left his unlocked iPhone in the car and we feared he would never see it again. With help from the resort and a very honest cab driver, the phone was returned that evening. A few days later we returned to explore Cahal Pech on our own - the museum is dusty and dirty but walking about the ruins without a guide was interesting even though we got caught in the rain.
We booked a few tours through the hotel. We combined cave tubing and zip lining. Zip lining was OK, but the cave tubing was fantastic. We also went horseback riding on a local ranch which was gorgeous. I must say that I had thought the only horseback riding excursion was through the ruins, so I was a bit upset with myself for not checking. Our final trip was supposed to be to ATM, but it was cancelled due to flooding in the area. Ka'ana put us on an alternate tour to Tikal and I have to say that this was my favorite tour. The drive to Tikal was beautiful and our guide, Wilbert, was fantastic. We stopped on the way in at a local lake and took a walk while he showed us some of the unique trees in Guatemala. There is also a phenomenal gift shop that we spent far too much money in. The Tikal guide that was supposed to take over in Guatemala did not show up, so Wilbert arranged for us to have a different guide but accompanied us unofficially. We were fortunate to have him as our guide for the entire trip because he had a tremendous knowledge of the site. Even though much of our tour was spent in the rain, we had fun and came back tired. On the ride back to the resort, we stopped at a local vendor for chocolate covered bananas. Delicious! After, we saw the most vibrant double rainbow I have ever seen. It was a great end to a great day. One of the things that was both wonderful and terrible about all of our tours was the up close experience we were able to have with archeological treasures. My entire family was sad to see that previous visitors had put graffiti on the walls of the ruins in Tikal and Cahal Pech, but the overall beauty of these sites were unforgettable, and we learned so much. The memories that we made on this trip will last a lifetime.

Things I wish we had done differently:

I really wish we had done differently would be to not use Newark Airport in the winter. You should definitely go further south if you are flying out of the states. Our flight was cancelled due to a bad winter storm resulting in extremely long lines and an expensive unplanned hotel stay.

Plan on using lots of bug spray, and bring a cortizone based anti itch cream. The bugs are fierce in Belize, and my poor husband was eaten alive. He had such a bad allergic reaction to the bites that he broke out in a rash all over his body and was put on steroids when we got home.

Because it was so rainy, I would suggest waiting a few weeks past the New Year for sunshine.

Overall, our trip to Belize was great. Ka'ana was the best resort we saw there. It was a learning experience, as well as a relaxing, stress-free vacation with "down days" without excursions in between. It broadened our views of people and history, and we left with an insight we didn't have before.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your time with us at Ka'ana. We look forward to reading reviews and getting our guests' perspectives about the resort as well as the country on a whole. Your review offered very good insight and we're really happy that you felt your time with us was not only relaxing and stress-free, but also eye-opening and allowed you to experience a very different world. That's one of our favorite aspects of traveling. We're thrilled you loved Tikal and hope you'll get to come back and do more activities in this region. Thank you again for your kind words and feedback. It was a pleasure having you and your family and we hope to be able to welcome you back again.
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

From the second I stepped foot in Ka'Ana, I immediately felt the serenity of the environment washing away the stresses of everyday life! I was a little hesitant to take a vacation to a location with no beach, but the Sand & Stone package (4 days at Ka'Ana and 4 days at the Victoria House in San Pedro) proved to be the perfect option to get some culture as well as some relaxation time on our trip. There are endless activities to keep you busy there and we ended up running out of time to do everything we wanted to!

Favorite aspects of Ka'Ana:
- Incredibly attentive and kind staff. They would chat with us every day at the restaurant and bar about our daily activities, and made helpful recommendations. The last night when my boyfriend and asked if we could roast marshmallows in the fire pit, our waiter went into the rain forest to find us roasting sticks and brought out a platter with cookies, marshmallows, and chocolate chips - talk about being waited on hand and foot!
- The turn-down service. It was so lovely returning to our room every night to a clean room, closed blinds, lit candles, and a mini-dessert surprise in the refrigerator (sorry to ruin the surprise)!
- I enjoyed the healthy restaurant menu options - the green juice for breakfast is a great way to start an action-packed day!

A few words of advice I would give after having stayed there:
- Be sure to book any special activities that you want to plan a day in advance at least. Since the resort is very small, the front desk will have to call someone to come in to perform services such as massages, yoga classes etc., and the drink-making and cooking classes time slots may fill up.
- If you are going to a second location on your trip, ask about flying from the small airport about 5 minutes away from the resort. It was about the same cost as driving/water taxi and made the whole travelling experience much less cumbersome.

Overall, I wish the staff at Ka'Ana very well as they are truly exceptional! For that, Ka'Ana gets my stamp of approval.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We're so happy that you were able to visit Belize and that you chose to do a combination of inland and island. We agree that it's the perfect combination and one of the best ways to experience the country. Your favorite aspects of Ka'ana- the staff, turndown, and cuisine- are some of the areas we've worked hard to define and elevate for our guests. We're thrilled they were your favorite! Thank you again for taking the time to share your kind words and feedback. We're all very grateful and wish you all the best for your future travels.
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Yes, this is my first Trip Advisor review... I've often used Trip Advisor for everyone's feedback on places but to be honest this was the first place I have ever visited that was so above and beyond I felt it was time to sign up on Trip Advisor and give back....
Our trip to Belize was planned 8 days before we went (our other plans changed) Thanks to Ka'Ana being a SLH hotel & the many wonderful reviews here on Trip Advisor we booked our trip knowing very little about Belize or the grand vacation we were about to embark on.
Ka'Ana is a must. This experience is a must. I can not think of a specific generation or personality that this Resort would not have something to offer. It is a quaint Resort but it is something that you can tell every employee has pride in, matter of fact, shortly after you check in & get settled you will likely feel this same pride. The staff was amazing. Out of all of our world travels and many wonderful stays- I have NEVER encountered such an accommodating and caring staff. Oscar & Carlita (Carla?) were the best, they made us smile & they made us feel like they personally and genuinely cared for us and our vacation- it seemed so above and beyond just someone's job, yes- that genuine & caring!!
Andee was the best tour guide! Andee was so knowledgeable made us feel so at ease and like his absolute priority! We visited Tikal & went cave tubing. Also the Resort helped me plan a day trip to San Pedro by using Tropic Air. We flew out one morning around 7am and back around 5pm. Ka'Ana even arranged for the tour company we used in San Pedro to meet us at the airport! Once in San Pedro we went fishing, snorkeling, and even went free diving for lobster & conch! And this tour guide even took us to a private beach & cooked all of our "catches". Delish!
Speaking of Delish... At Ka'Ana: both smoothies are a must (my favorite was Papaya & my fiancés the Vanilla) and the Lobster Salad and the Ceviche and the Dukunu. My taste buds say your missing out if you don't try the above!!
This is the perfect atmosphere for everything! We rarely go back somewhere on a vacation because there is SO much to see all over the world & SO little time, however we will most definitely visit Ka'Ana again.
I know I am missing so many wonderful details but we have been back over a week & I promised myself I would sign up & review this wonderful place in hopes that my review (like all of the others below) would motivate someone to book a vacation here and enjoy the many many special things about Ka'Ana & Belize.
Thank you Ka'Ana and thank you OSCAR for a fabulous & memorable experience!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you so much for making us your first review! We're so grateful you took the time to share about your experience at Ka'ana with others and just thrilled that you thought that it was amazing as it was. We're so very proud of our team at Ka'ana and nothing makes us happier than knowing that your interaction with the team members helped to make your stay memorable. We love all the detail in your review and really can't wait to be able to welcome you back here. Thank you again and behalf of all of us here, we wish you all the best for your future travels!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was our first trip to Belize. We picked the best hotel in Belize. Very intimate setting as there are only 17 rooms. All of the staff were friendly and knew your names. The dining room was excellent. We have a very special Valentine's dinner here.

The grounds are beautiful. This hotel is near the Mayan ruins so trips to do the activities in this area was very convent. It is a long ride from the airport to the resort but well worth the drive!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! We are so appreciative of your high praise of the resort, the food, and the activities you were able to do in this part of the country. It was a treat having you as our guest and we hope that if you make it back to Belize that you'll come and visit us again. In the meantime, we wish you all the best for your future adventures!
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We recently stayed at Ka'ana and had a wonderful experience. The grounds are lovely...very peaceful and very private feeling. We arranged our excursions through the hotel and I’m so happy that we did. There was never a worry – it seemed that anyone who saw you knew WHO you were what room you were staying in and what excursions you had planned and would either give you a heads up on your upcoming activities or would give you a call to remind you of your activities and timeframe. The guides were amazing. Very knowledgeable, personable, and overall excited about sharing their knowledge and culture with you.

The service in the hotel is wonderful and very accommodating. The common areas such as the restaurant and bar are lovely and places where you would mind losing a couple of hours. LOL Whenever we’d arrive at the restaurant for a meal we usually only saw a few other people outside of the staff. The food was very good but my only complaint is that if your there a few days and plan on eating there every day there’s no change in the menu. A little more variety would be better in my opinion but whatever I had I enjoyed.

One of my favorite experiences that Ka’ana arranged for us was a traditional Mayan “cooking class” on the grounds that you participate in when creating traditional Mayan food. It was one of my favorite meals during our stay at Ka’ana and the two wonderful women we met who shared with us their cooking traditions and culture were amazing!

The guest rooms are lovely and full of local culture with the wall and free standing art that makes up the décor and the local bath soaps that they supply are to die for! They’re refreshing and invigorating and my only complaint about that is I should have asked for more to bring home. :-)

Stayed the end of January 2014

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful experience here in San Ignacio and at Ka'ana. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and being able to share the adventures of this region as well the accommodations, food, and service of the resort. We love that you enjoyed the Maya cooking class. It's one of our favorite cultural experiences to share. Thank you again for your kind words. We wish you all the best for your future travels and would love to welcome you back to Ka'ana again someday.

Been to Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!