“A special hideaway with an unforgettable staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile 69 1/4 Benque Viejo Road, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
New York City, New York
“A special hideaway with an unforgettable staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had an absolutely magnificent time at Ka'ana. In all my travels, I don't think I've ever experienced such friendly, personalized and attentive service. The property is intimate and gorgeous and feels like a true escape. Though the hotel was booked to capacity while we were there, we almost never saw another guest and felt like it was our own private resort! We loved all the little touches, like a sweet treat each night at turn-down, or breakfast being provided in-room when we had early morning trips booked. The kindness and warmth of every single staff member was unforgettable and we felt that we were friends by the time we departed. The tours that they recommended and arranged were top notch. Often complicated excursions went off without a hitch and our guides were AMAZING. We would love to return and recommend Ka'ana without hesitation to anyone visiting this region. Thank you for making our engagement celebration so special!

Room Tip: The Casitas are absolutely the place to be over the standard rooms. We really loved our private litt...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and congratulations again on your engagement! On behalf of the entire Ka'ana team, please know that it was an absolute pleasure having you here. We're so happy that you considered your time with us as magnificent. The personalized and attentive service is what we want all our guests to experience while they're here and we're pleased that this was the reality for you. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay. We wish you all the best for your future travels and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Belize and Ka'ana!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I began to look for somewhere to stay while in Belize right after we got engaged and decided to go to Belize on our honeymoon. We chose Ka'ana based on the fact that it had air conditioning and looked beautiful. We got way more than we ever expected. We are positive that we ended up super lucky and finding the best place to stay in Belize bc we wanted air conditioning. We were picked up from the airport and whisked into paradise. Ka'ana is amazing! It's beautiful and it's peaceful. The staff is amazing! If you go make sure you meet Oscar Gomez!!!! He made our stay the most amazing trip ever! He took care of us and we are still friends with him today. He made our stay super special! Special thanks to Ka'ana for having him work there! We visited some of the other resorts while we were there and none of them even compared to Ka'ana. Make sure you go to ATM cave while your there. Oh and the food was so good that we barely ate anywhere else for 10 days! I mean amazing!!! Defiantly get the fry jacks for breakfast!!! Enjoy! And say hi to Oscar for us!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time write a review of your stay and for your very kind words! We're thrilled that your honeymoon was as special as it was and honored that we were able to host you while you were in Belize. We've passed on your hellos to Oscar and shared your feedback with the rest of the Ka'ana team as well. Thank you again for being our guests. We look forward to one day welcoming you back to Belize and Ka'ana!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ka'ana is a beautiful little jungle oasis. We chose it mainly because it looked a little more upscale than most of the other lodges and because it had air conditioning. This was an important point, since we were going late June early July. Plus, we wanted some place a little more special since we were celebrating a big birthday.

It is small and quiet. For the first day we thought that we might have the whole place to ourselves, but there were other guests. You just don't see them that much, which for us was just fine. We had the pool all to ourselves a couple times.

It is in a great location. Close enough to get into San Ignacio easily by cab and located right on the "highway," so getting to activities was easy and did not require a long drive down a rough dirt road, as many others do.

What really separates Ka'ana from the norm is the staff. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Even the gardening crew was friendly and made us feel welcome. Clearly, customer service is well trained by the management.

Oscar in particular was great. He was constantly going out of his way to do something special for us. The last night we were there he had found out that my girlfriend's birthday had been the night before. He brought us out a couple desserts to celebrate. Made her feel really special.

They truly went above and beyond the day we left. I had unknowingly left me fly rod behind in the room before we checked out and headed for Caye Caulker. I finally realized this when were almost all the way back to the airport in BC. At this point, I assumed that I would never see it again. We called them and they very offered too have it flown via courier to our hotel on the island. We did not even have to ask. The next day I have my rod back and the staff at Ka'ana made me an even bigger fan than I already was.

We would recommend it highly. We chose it for the air conditioning, but we would return for the people and service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We are so grateful that you took the time to share with everyone your experience in inland Belize and at Ka'ana. It was great having you here as our guests! Your description of the resort and staff was really good to read and it sums up the kind of experience we wanted you to have when you were with us. On behalf of the entire Ka'ana team, thank you for all your kind words. We hope the rest of your time in Belize was everything you hoped it would be and it would be a pleasure having you back with us again. All the best for your future travels!
Rhinebeck, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Belize for our first time and stayed at Ka'Ana for three days before flying to the coast for some scuba diving. We have been lucky enough to travel all over the world and have stayed in a variety of places from a small hut in the Himalayas to a luxury room at the Imperial in India. My wife and I agree that Ka'Ana was one of the best places we have stayed at with an absolutely beautiful resort and an even more amazing staff. No matter what we needed the staff members were always professional and friendly. We stayed in the master suite which had a great outdoor shower and lounge area. The rooms were large and very comfortable. You would never imagine that you are just outside the jungle. Candida and Carlota were our waitresses for most of our dining and were incredible. When we asked about any local restaurants to visit for an evening to get local cuisine they both recommended Benny's Kitchen in a nearby town. My wife and I toured the nearby Mayan ruins of Xunatunich on our own and then walked across the street to Benny's. I had the Pibil which was very good and my wife had a very large burrito. We would recommend the restaurant if you are looking for a different dining locale one evening but it is not the same enjoyable dining experiences that we had at the resort. I fell in love with a habanero jam they serve with breakfast and when I was unable to find it in town, Candida was kind enough to put some in a small jar for me to take home. I was quite worried that I may suffer withdrawal symptoms when I returned home. Oscar the bartender was also excellent. He was always very friendly and was amazingly quick at making all sorts of different drinks even when the bar was full. Even the manager, Jennifer, was always busy making sure our stay was enjoyable. She would stop by during dinner some evenings and see if we needed anything or we had any issues that she could help us with. She even helped arrange our tour into Guatemala to see the Mayan complex in Tikal. Our tour guide's name was Andy and he was a very knowledgeable guide who did not rush us through our tour. He told us to take our time and when we were done, he would have our lunch waiting for us. Everything was perfect during our stay and we look forward to going back. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone considering traveling to the western part of Belize. Our only complaint was that we should have stayed longer at Ka'Ana than at El Secreto, which was a total disappointment. But that review will come later. Thank you to everyone at Ka'Ana for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: All the rooms look beautiful but we would recommend the master suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We are so happy and honored to know that you both had a wonderful time in western Belize and at Ka'ana. We have passed on your very kind words to the team here at Ka'ana on behalf of everyone, I'd like you to know that it was truly a pleasure having you with us and we appreciate the opportunity we had to show you some of what makes our country so special. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We are so very grateful and wish you all the best for your future travels. Please do come and see us if your adventures bring you back to Belize!
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Ka'ana was our reward at the end of two days travelling and we loved every second that we were there. The amazing service started as soon as we walked in and were handed a refreshing drink and told our room had been upgraded.
We were shown to a spacious and cool bungalow with its own private, walled garden with a sumptuous lounger for two and an outside shower. It was just steps from the cleverly landscaped pool area, complete with friendly iguanas. The bed was huge and so comfortable.
The staff are friendly and welcoming in a way that is never forced and the service is personal and personable. We were looked after by Tatyana who took note of dietary requirements, interests and the the type of travellers we are. She arranged for a driver to take us out to Xunantunich so that we could explore in our own time and not be part of a tour group. Ka'Ana does run its own tours to all the local attractions and we were informed of these but never given the hard sell.

The gardens at Ka'ana are incredibly beautiful, a team of dedicated grounds people keep this paradise perfect. The bird watching is good and we enjoyed listening to the birdsong while in the pool. There is also a separate fruit, veg and herb garden which is tended to by a lovely guy called Wilson. Wilson delighted in showing us his garden and we delighted in eating many of his crops in the restaurant. Oh and the "green juice" is amazing.

While we were there I succumbed to my usual travel cold, the staff all were asking after me and even sent a driver into town to pick up some NyQuil for me. Service beyond the call of duty I think.

The location of Ka'ana means it is in the perfect spot for trips to ATM and Tikal, both of which we did. It is also a cheap taxi ride from San Ignacio if you fancy some local night life.

This place is one of the best hotels I have have ever stayed in, it has the perfect combo of location, landscaping but above all professional and caring staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Gemma,

Thank you so much for your review! As much as you all enjoyed your stay with us, we also loved having you here as our guests. Your very kind words are much appreciated. On behalf of the entire Ka'ana team, we're thrilled to know that all the aspects of your stay met your expectations, from your room and the grounds, to the adventures and our service professionals. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Belize!
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We did our annual "bestie" trip in Belize and stayed at Ka-ana resort. The accomodations were cozy, the atmosphere was very relaxing, the staff were very friendly and accommodating, the tours were awesome, tour guides were entertaining and very knowledgeable, the "wildlife" on the back porch and at the pool were entertaining, and it was the best Swedish massage I have had in my life. I would definitely stay at Ka-ana again and recommend it to anyone. The juices and adult beverages were not included; however, so that was one drawback of the all inclusive package that would have put it over the top. That being said, the drinks and juices were unique and delicious, I just would have wanted to try them all over the course of the week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
We're glad we were able to host you for your annual bestie trip! Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience in this region and at Ka'ana. Our on-site "wildlife" is indeed entertaining, especially those iguanas! We truly appreciate your feedback and wish you both all the best for your future travels around the world. It was such a pleasure having you with us for this year's trip!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Ka'Ana is an easy ride not even 2 hours from Belize international airport in Cayo District just west of San Ignacio. It was surprisingly right off the highway tucked into a beautiful setting disguising the road sounds very well. Ka'Ana resort probably has about 20 rooms but they make you feel like there is only one room. The service is unsurpassed from the minute you get out of customs. The driver was knowledgeable and perfectly attentive. Upon arrival you are greeted with a refreshing drink and hosts that truly represent what you are going to experience. They all greeted us by name and wanted to know how they can make this visit the best you will have. The meals were excellent including the best lobster ceviche I have ever had. They have an outdoor patio with fire pit and waterfall which is a perfect backdrop to the beauty of their dishes and drinks. They had a fun unique drink menu including my favorite the habanero mango margarita. The landscaping on the property is native and very lush. The rooms were large and perfectly appointed with handcrafted native wood built in cabinets. The AC units worked extremely well and were remote controlled. Each room has great natural lighting and windows to your private patios (front and back). Every single person on the staff from housekeeping and grounds to front desk and management effortlessly made sure everything about our stay was perfect.

Room Tip: It is a small resort so the standard rooms circle the pool area and are all probably equal. Our roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! It was great having you as our guests and on behalf of the entire Ka'ana team, we appreciate your kind words about your experience in San Ignacio and at Ka'ana. The mango habanero margarita is one of my favorite infusions as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as you did! Please know that it would be an absolute pleasure having you with us again if your travels bring you back to Belize. Thank you again and we wish all the best for your future adventures!

Been to Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!