“Quiet & Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicool Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Tropicool Hotel
You added Tropicool Hotel to your Saves list
30 Burns Avenue, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Panajachel, Guatemala
“Quiet & Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I’ve stayed at the Tropicool several times. On my last trip, I looked at other hotels first, then headed straight for the Tropicool. All I can do is parrot what others have said: friendly staff; modest prices; a clean, relatively spacious room; noise-free, being in the back off the street; with table, chair, hangers, rod for hanging clothes; fan; clean bathrooms with hot water. The maid insisted on sweeping and giving me a fresh towel and soap on the second morning, though I didn’t ask for it. The best deal in San Ignacio. Paid B$25 (US$12.50).

The only drawback is that the room I stayed in (#7), which faces west, was warmer at night than during the day, as the outside wall absorbs the sun’s heat all day and funnels it inside at night. Even the fan didn't help. It’s a minor complaint, though, for such a nice property.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We spent a night in town in San Ignacio and so wanted a convenient location near the restaurants etc. The main building of the Tropicool was full but there were cabins in the back yard. Our cabin was big and had a screened porch looking onto the yard, behind the main building which in on the street. It was comfortable and cool. I was worried about noise downtown but it was quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I loved staying at the TropiCool. At $15/night for a couple, I wasn't expecting much. Our room, while quite small, was spotlessly clean, very secure, and well-screened from mosquitos. We got fresh towels and soap every day. The shared bathrooms are also spotless, with reasonably warm (or at least not cold) showers. We stayed in a room, not a cabin, but those looked pretty nice too (and have private bathrooms, I believe). It's right in the heart of the "downtown" San Ignacio area, close to all the restaurants and tour companies. I was staying with a friend but I would have felt completely comfortable here as a single female traveller (very important!). It's a bit noisy at night because it's in a busy area, but it becomes very quiet once the restaurants and bars close. The bed was a little hard, but hey, at least it was bed-bug free. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
East Troy, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed for one week in Feb 2011 at the Tropicool Hotel during our visit to San Ignacio Belize and were extremely pleased with our accommodations. The location is perfect to see all the sights, dine, shop and book tours. Our room was very clean, the shower was hot and the bed was very comfortable. We loved having a refrigerator, internet service, coffee maker and a TV in our room. The best part of our stay was the wonderful staff which consisted of the two owners and Rose the housekeeper. All of them could not have been more accommodating to all our needs. Tropicool Hotel is one of the nicest places to stay in San Ignacio and for the budget conscious it’s a great value. I highly recommend staying there to be confident of enjoyable experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

This was our 5th visit to San Ignacio and we have always stayed at different hotels. This time we stayed at Tropicool in one of the cabins out back after seeing the inside of one last July.

The cabin was very comfortable and had all that we needed - fridge, kettle with coffee & tea bags, cups, lots of windows, ceiling fan and a good, hot shower. Everything was very clean.

We found the location to be slightly noisy because of traffic in the area and lots of barking dogs, but ear plugs worked well (bring your own, or Celina's supermarket sells them).

We were central to everything and although we had a rental car, we could walk to all restaurants in the town and across the bridge in Santa Elena.

At $70 BZ per night ($35 US),what more can you ask for?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed two nights in late November 2010. Our cabin at the Tropicool was clean, roomy, and convenient, and the price was right. Next time I would ask for the cabin with the screened-in porch. Ours was beside it, and we could not spend time outside because of abundant mosquitoes. Also, the noise from nearby bars and roads was pretty loud, and the mattress and pillows had seen better days. That said, for the price it was perfect, and there’s a good Sri Lankan restaurant right across the street. A backpacker would find this luxurious; a couple of middle-aged folks accustomed to more might consider this “roughing it.”

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed here in a nice little cabin just behind the hotel. It was a cute little cabin and we had a nice stay for two nights :) I thought that the proprietor of the establishment was a friendly fellow, and we enjoyed the clean little cottage we had. Its a bit noisy, which should probably be expected in the middle of San Ignacio, but a nice place all in all. If I had to complain, I would say the bed wasn't too comfy, but I've come to expect this in the developing world.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropicool Hotel? Share your experiences!