“Great Staff and Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cahal Pech Village Resort

You added Cahal Pech Village Resort to your Saves list
Cahal Pech Village Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Cahal Pech Hill | P.O. Box 1, San Ignacio 00000, Belize   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Great Staff and Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was my first trip to Belize and Cahal Pech Village Resort was a perfect place for me to stay. It was a beautiful view of the town. The rooms need a little updating, but my stay was comfortable. The staff went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. From the initial booking procedure online, Lenny and Katharine answered all of my questions and were awesome! Upon arrival at the airport, Luis was waiting for me at the baggage claim and provided a very safe and informative 2 hour trip back to the resort. Raphael worked at night and was the most helpful and friendly as I saw him the most. He was very accommodating and had a wonderful personality. Thank you, Raphael!! It was nice to have a restaurant on site and the wait staff was very good as well. Thank you all for a very pleasant experience!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Kalamazoo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This place charged us over $90.00 per night and we shouldn't have paid more than $40. The whole place is shabby and the cabana room was a dump--marginally clean, poor quality mattress, (although they assured us it was new), wimpy shower with tepid water. There was no light on the pathway or on the porch so we had to stumble our way to and from the room up the hill. To add insult to injury, they charged us for absolutely every little thing including water so we could brush our teeth. The breakfast wasn't included and it was expensive considering we had to fight the flies to get to it. UGH!! They even charged us $10.00 US for a packed lunch we needed for our trip to the ruins. Even though they knew when we needed to leave and we had ordered the lunch the night before, we had to ask for the lunch three times before it appeared.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tipton, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My experiences were over five years ago but staying at Cahal Pech Village Resort for about once a year in the ten years previous, I found it just as good as could be expected in the mountains adjacent to Guatemala and the rain forests of Belize. The Huts (Cabanas) were serviceable and offered a spectacular view of the village below and beyond the hills where Mennonite's farmed. The music from the village drifted pleasantly up to the cabana nightly. The staff was personal and very attuned to wishes and food was more than adequate. I am headed back in January 2013 and stay a few nights, shop in Guatemala in Melchor and head to visit the awesome ruins of Tikal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Rooms were fine and what we expected. Path to the rooms could have been better lit.

Food was good, pools nice, and the common areas were beautiful.

Staff was great, they made arrangements for all of out tours. ATM was the best with Carlos the caveman.

Thanks to Allen, Carla, and Oscar for a great welcoming experience at the restaurant every day. Special thanks to Mario our tour Gide and teacher of Mayan history and culture.

David and Rochelle

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fontana, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

What I loved about Cahal Pech, the staff. The staff is superfriendly. I also loved that I was able to get a cabana for the same price as a room and they placed me a mere 20 ft from the lower pool.

What I didn't like so much: the cabana was a little outdated. The the little walkway leading up to my cabana from the lobby is overgrown with weeds. The roof of the cabana is actually comprised of palm fronds. That was cool and lent to a very rustic and natural feel. However, it also allows little critters to sneak through the crevises. Not that I minded that so much as long as nothing was poisonous. For instance, I had a pet gecko, a pet moth, pet daddy long legs, pet beetles-well, you get you the idea. the geckos are cute and are good for eating up the buggies, but they leave behind little droppings comparable in size to mice turd.

The cabana could have also used a fresh coat of paint. I couldn't always tell if my room was really clean or not because of cracks, rust, smudges and stains on the walls, floors and floorboards.

There is a 3 part pool, a lower pool and two upper pools. they are beautiful and have fountains which make for an awesome atmosphere. However, the resort allows local kids to play in the pool during the day and at night. They restrict the kids to the upper pool, but I found the upper pools to be more alluring and would have enjoyed being able to swim in them without little kids squealing, screaming, jumping, and cannonballing ( not to mention I always suspect children as being less disciplined in the no peeing in the pool rule). Also, and this is me nitpicking, the pool towels were tiny. so, although the pools are lovely to look at, they are not so much lovely to enjoy.

What I liked about the cabana was that I had my own personal little screened-in patio complete with it's own hammock. I enjoyed peaceful relaxation just reading while laying in that hammock. I would like to suggest to the staff taht they place a few hooks or nail heads high up so that guests can hang their wet clothes.

Here is something else you might want to consider before booking. Cahal Pech Resort is about as far from the town as you can get. It's straight up a brutal hill. But that same location is also why you get a great view of the basin at night and it's far enough away from the town that it should be quiet. But again, the local kids playing in the pool during all hours rather detracts from that feature.

Room Tip: you might want to request a cabana farther from the pool. The rooms are decent as well.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
San Jose Succotz, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We picked the Cahal Pech Village Resort, for two nights, to celebrate Belize Independence day. We requested & recieved a cabana. Our cabana was everything we read about. We spent most of our time in the hammock on the screened in porch. The place was clean & very comfortable. The food at the restaurant was wonderful & very well presented. It was a little more costly than the meals in San Ignacio, but we did get a wonderful view of the Cayo countryside & San Ignacio. The Villiage is located within walking distance of the Cahal Pech Mayan ruins & we took our time walking thru & enjoying the morning. I would recommend this resort to anyone that would ask. Service is excellent, pools are sparkling clean & the grounds are nicely kept.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

For a no frills hotel I loved the way they package the deals. They picked us up at the airport and arranged all the trips with great guides. I would have given the room 3 stars because it smelled but the food was great so that bumped it up. The town was so scary looking my husband would not even go, I would have for the local experience. Thank god the food was excellent and I did not mind eating there. If you are looking for a good value then this is the place. We did the ATM and it was exhilirating ! We did ruins and that was fun. I would have stayed another night if I know about the nature monkey tour, I do feel bad I did not see monkeys,I did see 4 tocans at the ATM and that was great.

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer building and it would have been great if not for the smell. My husband did no...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rumors Hotel
Rumors Hotel
#8 of 17 in San Ignacio
4.5 of 5 stars 123 reviews

Been to Cahal Pech Village Resort? Share your experiences!