“Just enough out of town, but still walkable” 4 of 5 stars

Midas Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Branch Mouth Road, San Ignacio, Belize   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in San Ignacio
San Diego, California
“Just enough out of town, but still walkable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

The staff was super nice. The rooms are definitely clean, but not super luxurious, so don't expect that. They set us up for a Tikal visit and it went like swiss clockwork - very impressive from pickup, to border crossing, to our guide at the ruin who spoke very clear english - I mention this as in this part of Belize, being on the border with Guatemala, you will hear more Spanish being spoken.

Okay, back to the hotel. They have a good size swimming pool, a bar area, and two of the nicest guys you could ever meet who sell their handcrafted Mayan souvenirs.

I definitely recommend this hotel for this part of Belize, just keep your expectations in line.

Room Tip: I believe they may have new rooms then the round cottage we stayed in.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed 3 nights as part of a tour. The hotel itself was very nice, the rooms were clean and the reception and restaurant staff were lovely. We ate in the hotel the first night and although lots of things were off the menu, what I had was very nice. One night they had a disco until late, the next night someone was banging on a door down the hall then having a very loud conversation at 1am, so didn't get much sleep! The town is a short walk from the hotel and it's not far from the border with Guatemala, so an ideal place to stay if travelling through.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here two nights in a cabana. This place was chill and staff was friendly and helpful. The food that was cooked was amazing and the pool area was awesome after a long day of travelling and adventures

We went to the ruins outside of town. We asked the front desk to call us a back and hired a guide when we arrived. The drive to the ruins were 15 minutes outside of town. We also did the ATM tour which was the highlight of the entire stay. Swimming into a cave was an amazing experience and it was not too difficult.

The walk into town took five minutes and there is no need for a cab. Lots of decent restaurants and bars downtown and everyone was friendly.

Next time I would stay longer and travel over to Tikal in Guatemala and checked out other sites around town.

If you are expecting luxury, full service don't stay here. Good bang for your buck.

Stafford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The room temperature was well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit when I checked in. By the next morning it cooled off to about 80 degrees. They need better air conditioners. There was no restaurant at all, and the "road" it was on was the worst in San Ignacio.

Golden, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Our only regret about our stay is that it was too short. We spent 2 nights in a 'deluxe' room in the main building. It was clean, nicely furnished, with a small but lovely bathroom.
After our local bus ride from Belize city it was great to have a refreshing swim in the well maintained pool. Too tired to bother with finding a restaurant in town we had a very nice and reasonably priced meal in the outdoor dining area. The chef had made a delicious flan for dessert, one of the best I've tasted. We had breakfast there both mornings and it too was very tasty.
We had a trip to ATM cave planned our first morning and being an early riser I had the opportunity to spend time waiting on the veranda for our tour guide. A gorgeous madre de cocoa tree off the veranda provided amazing bird watching. I'm no birder, but I did manage to identify 3 green parrots eating the pink blossoms. There were birds of every hue flitting about, red ones, yellow ones, some iridescent, even a couple who looked like mountain blue birds. On a walk on my last day I came across a small owl sitting not 6 feet off the ground in front of one of the cabanas. The various colourful plants around the grounds also attract many varieties and sizes of butterflies.
Another perk is the local original paintings done by very talented artists hanging along the hallway and in the rooms.
Midas Resort truly is a jewel in San Ignacio and the wonderful staff are very warm and welcoming. Thank you Leo for your generosity, Miriam for your insight into local culture, Tomas for a great rum punch, the front desk staff for all of your assistance and to the chef and wait staff in the restaurant. I highly recommend Midas as a place to stay in San Ignacio.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had an okay time at the Midas Resort. The staff was really friendly, no doubt about that. The one problem my gf and I had was that the room had a slight sewage smell to it. So it smelled like an outhouse every time we came back (we had the suite). My gf has a really sensitive nose so for her it was really bad. The location is good, a 5 minute walk to town, although most nights we drove in. The photos are a good representation of the hotel. We did not spend any time in the pool or by the bar, although I thought I would. It was really quiet and I would much rather hang out at a bar in the town.

For the smell alone I would not come back to this place, or San Ignacio. But yes, compared to many other places in the area, Midas Resort is one of the better ones. Do not expect luxury when staying in San Ignacio.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rockaway Township, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Midas was probably one of the nicest in San Ignacio. That said, if you are looking for luxury, don't stay in this area - know what you're in for. I stayed with my husband and 7 year old and we don't mind "roughing it" so we were ok with this place for the convenience and the super, super nice staff. Midas had an awesome pool and bar. The grounds were pretty but I'm not sure I'd refer to them as "the jungle" as they advertise. If you stay here, do not stay in one of the cabanas - they are very old and ours had a ton of bugs. They are private and have AC though. The other two room types from what I hear are newer. The hotel is a great proximity to the tiny little down, which has very limited selections of places to eat and Midas only serves breakfast. It is a perfect stop if you want to go to Cehal Pech, ATM or Zunantunich. They also booked us a great trip to Tikal. I also must say again how wonderful the staff was. They knew us by name and we even hung out with a couple outside the resort. We have traveled all over the world and they were by far, the nicest and most accommodating we've ever experienced. For that reason alone, we'd come back. Special kudos to Tomas and Leo who gave us tips on what to do and see.

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the cabanas.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Midas Resort? Share your experiences!